Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
I have 2 boxes of Black Talons .45 and 1 box of 9mm. What are they worth? I'm thinking about putting them on EE. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They go at my local gunshow for $40 a box. Considerably less than that on the EE. It's fairly common knowledge here that they're no magic bullet and are an old design.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
People will still buy them.  I'm not sure why?

It was my understanding that the banning of them had something to do with cutting surgical gloves on sharp metal and that means the only benefit is if you want to cut a surgeon working on the guy you shoot and possibly give him a blood-borne virus or something.  

If it wasn't that it has to be rediculous- how could a black talon be any better than some of the new super hollowpoints?  I think they have .45's now that expand to double their size (that's like shooting someone with a golf ball or a 20mm round.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]

I think they have .45's now that expand to double their size (that's like shooting someone with a golf ball or a 20mm round.

wow!

I bought them years ago....put them away and forgot about them...I recently just found them and heard that they are collector's item now so I just wanted to know the value.  I carry Corbon/triton, I have never used the black talons.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They were never banned, and that crap about the sharp points hurting surgeons is just that - crap.

Winchester withdrew them from the market because they caught pure hell from the press. The name was scary as hell to the common unwashed folk, and Winchester simply redistributed them, with a new name - Ranger T. True, they don't look as cool as the old Black Talons with the nickel case and black bullet, but they work even better now than the old black talons.

(And yes, it still has the pointy thingies of death that open up as it expands. The one sitting here on my desk now is sharp enough to be painful to hold.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
People will still buy them.  I'm not sure why?

It was my understanding that the banning of them had something to do with cutting surgical gloves on sharp metal and that means the only benefit is if you want to cut a surgeon working on the guy you shoot and possibly give him a blood-borne virus or something.  

If it wasn't that it has to be rediculous- how could a black talon be any better than some of the new super hollowpoints?  I think they have .45's now that expand to double their size (that's like shooting someone with a golf ball or a 20mm round.

People still buy Garands from the CMP don't they?  You think it's because there's not a better battle rifle out there?  Hell no.  It's because they're collectable.  A part of firearm / American history.
Not that Black Talons are in the ranks of any Garand, but they still hold a place in firearm history to some people.
You don't have to buy them to carry.  Nor do most people buy them because they think they are magical death bullets.   It's quite alright to buy Black Talons just because you can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
"Death Talons"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
i have a couple boxes of 9mm, and some rangers with the black bullet but a brass case.  from what I understand, it was just a scary name.  and some people considered the name to be racist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Ranger SXT: Same eXact Thing
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple of boxes of .45 Black Felons!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nor do most people buy them because they think they are magical death bullets.  

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it.

I tend to disagree.  But, I will agree that some people probably buy them to carry.  I'm sticking with my opinion that the majority does not.
Good grief, I hope I'm right on this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it.

I tend to disagree.  But, I will agree that some people probably buy them to carry.  I'm sticking with my opinion that the majority does not.
Good grief, I hope I'm right on this.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
link for 9mm Black Talon prices. . i've seen 9mm Talons range from $25-$75
the .45acp Talons were up to $100 for a box of twenty!  and i don't see it listed there anymore, so it must have sold

Black Talons are a desirable collectors item
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Black Talons are a desirable collectors item

For boobs, perhaps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top