Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:24 PM EDT
I was practicing speed loading on my ruger security six earlier this evening (I want to shoot an IDPA course with a revolver just to see how I do) to see how fast I can go and how much work I need to do to get competitive. My rough times were around 6 seconds for a reload. I was curious so I got out an auto pistol and timed myself on a mag change. I wasn't much quicker at all!
I always thought an auto pistol would be far faster than a revolver to reload but now I am not so sure. so my question/poll is how long does it take you to do a mag change?
Start timing from slide lock and stop timing upon firing the first round from the new mag.
I am just polling for auto pistols but if anyone wants to post revolver times I would love to see those.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:48:51 PM EDT
If everything goes exactly perfect, I have done sub 1 sec mag changes, but my average is closer to 1.5. I have been shooting IPSC since 1992, and I keep track of my splits on standards. The disappointing thing is that I seem to have plateaued at A class...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
I do 1.35 with stock GLOCK 19.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:38 AM EDT
It also depends on the gun, with my 1911 with a S&A magwell and competition rig under 1 second is easier than 1.5 seconds with a stock Glock with a carry mag holder.

This is something that can be practiced at home inexpensively and a lot of time can be saved here, just like the reaction time to the beep of the timer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:58:05 AM EDT
About 3 seconds.. I need to practice..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
If it takes you 6 seconds to speed reload your auto, you need to practice, it really doesn't take that long to get to the point of easily doing sub 3 second reloads. And sub 2 is well within reach for any physically fit person.
Top Top