Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:39:52 PM EDT
What do you guys think of these?  I just bought a Sig P229 DAK that came with night sights, but after reading a bunch of stories on ARFCOM about people using their lasers in SHTF situations i'm thinking about buying some Crimson Trace laser grips.

Does anyone here own a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips?  What do you guys think of them... just a dumb gimmick or great defensive tool?

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a set on my 229 and like them. I am a LEO and use the laser mostly for shield work on my Dept's SWAT team, makes aiming easier.

I use the same 229 on patrol and when the BG's see the dot on their chests or back of their buddies heads on a felony stop it is very effective as a deterrant. Better than the racking of a 12 gauge IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a good subject to use the SEARCH function for!

There are several other threads about these grips.

The reason I steer you to the search function is because you might not get responses from folks who responded to all the other threads.

Read what you get here, but do go look for the other threads.  Check the Archives also.

BTW, I like mine.  I have these on two revolvers.

I use them as an aiming AID, not an aiming device.

I got both of mine on the EE here for a good price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought some for my wife and she loves them as it makes her feel more comfortable when she shoots.

I'm not saying that laser grips are good for women, just that SHE really likes them.

I have an LLM on my Taurus and I really like it...but that is another subject.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do you guys think of them... just a dumb gimmick

You've answered your own question, IMO. While you're watching that GD little bouncing red dot, the perp is filling the air with lead.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry 3 different pistols depending on how I'm dressed. I have a 380 Kel-Tec, a S&W 38 Airweight, and a 229 Sig 40. All 3 have lasers, and the S&W and SIG have CT's. I really like them. FBI stats say a confrontational shooting takes place in less than 6ft, is over in 3 seconds, and has 3 round expended. You do not want to stick the gun out where it can be grabbed, and you do not have time to really aim. As I said, this is from the FBI, not me.
I was taught to shoot from the belt line slight turned away from threat, use weak hand as needed. Where the red dot is where you'll hit...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have laser grips on two 229s, a 226, and a Kimb Ultra Carry.  And I'm getting 'em for my 239 as soon as someone gets them in stock.  I guess I must like them.  They're especially nice if you have bad eyes and have a hard time making out iron sights in low light.

I don't know if it's the best price around, but the prices at G&R Tactical seem pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

and you do not have time to really aim. As I said, this is from the FBI, not me.

Strange, the FBI goes against most top-notch firearms instructors then.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought they were a gimick until I tried out a set at a recent class. They certianly have their uses and I plan on ordering a set for my 1911's & Glocks.

I suggest you guys try them out before you bash them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
At 25 yards daylight/outdoors I can't see/acquire the dot quick enough so I don't use. Indoors & night-time sight acquisition is quick

My laser is zeroed at 7 yards (the distance from my bed to bedroom door). Laser is mounted on right side of grip (92FS). At 25 yds POI is away left.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you do not have time to really aim. As I said, this is from the FBI, not me.

Strange, the FBI goes against most top-notch firearms instructors then.

I did not say they taught that way, I said my instructor thaught that way. I just quoted FBI stats.

Sorry if I did not make it clear....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
They are an incredibly effective Less-Than-Lethal weapon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They are an incredibly effective Less-Than-Lethal weapon.

Your right, everybody knows what the red dot means. A friend who is a prision guard at Ft Pillow siad they can stop a fight by just putting the dot on one of the guys fighting. He said the other guy will see the dot, and you can see his shoulders drop.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't use them as a less-leathal unless I was drawing a gun in a situation in which I already knew I didn't need to shoot.  

The laser IMO LENDS EXCELLENT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS- BOTH EYES OPEN, good peripheral, wards off tunnel vision, and you don't have a pistol blocking half of everything.  

They are faster and provide much greater precision esspecially on the move.  

As far as Crimson Trace- haven't used them for shooting ever; my experience shooting is with M6X light/lasers.  I have held guns with the grips in the Army and at gunshows and they appear to be a quality product (as long as you aren't a complete dumbass like my team leader who had to use his M9 one day and realized that the laser actually NEEDED TO BE ZEROED

I have a set for a Ruger MKII in my basement, and I intend to check them out when the gun arrives.  It's Impact guns so I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Im convinced that they are a great addition to a defensive pistol. Look, my carry piece is not to look pretty, shoot sub MOA, or impress buddies. Its to keep me alive no matter the situation. I need all the help I can get. That being said, I WILL be purchasing a set within the month for my Smith 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a set on my 2" .357 and I'm happy with what it does.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
They are a great training aid for new shooters. But are impractical for real world scenarios.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
"But are impractical for real world scenarios."

How could they be less practical than iron sights in the dark?  You can see the dot when you can't see the irons.  

You can fire in awkward situations which is a point made by the Crimson Trace people that I believe makes perfect sense.  They have real world applications.  The US government has been heavilly using IR lasers for some time and now is widely issuing red lasers, obviously they are convinced the red laser has real world applications.

One thing I like is that in high stress situations when human eyes focus on the threat and not on the sights, the dot can sit on the threat (in the same plane) there is no need to fight the response as with iron sights.

" I have a set on my 229 and like them. I am a LEO and use the laser mostly for shield work on my Dept's SWAT team, makes aiming easier. "

That statement says it.  I'm guessing that is an understatement like me saying "My eo-tech makes weak side shooting easier."  The answer is it makes a completely awkward task easy which is like making a pro out of a novice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking of a set for my Kimber (Custom II).  Anyone have a set mounted on a Kimber?  I'd be interested to know how much thicker than the stock grips they are and any general opinions that are Kimber specific.  

I am right handed and shoot thumb over, so I am a little concerned about the large "bump" of the lazer throwing my normal grip and sight picture off  or pinching between that and the safety.  All the pictures of them I have seen have the beam on the left side of the grips.  Do they make them with the beam on the right side?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was thinking of a set for my Kimber (Custom II).  Anyone have a set mounted on a Kimber?  I'd be interested to know how much thicker than the stock grips they are and any general opinions that are Kimber specific.  

I have a set for my Kimber Ultra Carry.  I like them very much and I didn't find them to be noticibly thicker than the stock grips.  But then, I'm not terribly observant.

I am right handed and shoot thumb over, so I am a little concerned about the large "bump" of the lazer throwing my normal grip and sight picture off  or pinching between that and the safety.  All the pictures of them I have seen have the beam on the left side of the grips.  Do they make them with the beam on the right side?

Like I said, I'm not very observant, but I'm pretty sure the laser diode is on the right side of the grips, the side opposite the safety.  Like this:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top