Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 6:52:10 PM EDT
OK, today I went to my local UPS Store to send some ammo and they freaked out when I mentioned that it was ammunition.  They gave me the evil eye and the owner/boss told me that the UPS doesn't touch firearms or ammunition.

And I said I had received ammo and my rifles had been sent to ffl using UPS in the past.  He said it must be corporate owned UPS Stores and that they don't exist anymore.

Was he feeding me BS?  Or did UPS stop doing ammo/gun shipping?

What is the best way to ship out some ammo without all this hassle from ignorant anti's?

Thank you for all your input.
-Ha
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I receive all my ammunition via UPS and have had AR uppers shipped to me via FedEx.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
UPS ships ammo ground only.
The UPS stores are asses. You need to bring it to a terminal
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to go to the UPS hub to ship guns or ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Aaarrgh...the only good thing the UPS did to me: I joined the cause full time, and joined this forum as a team member..

um, how do I put a cool avatar?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

um, how do I put a cool avatar?

The "Photo" option on the very top of the site.  Login and change your avatar.

And as for UPS.... my UPS guy HATES me because every package I get delivered weighs <50 lbs
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Hop_and_Pop.  If you get stuck in north ATL metro on March, I'll bail you out.  And wtf happened to your former name de guerre?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I shipped a C&R rifle today via UPS. They even packed it for me. Went to a "UPS store" here in town. Only one problem, it cost me an arm and a leg- USPS is cheaper, but UPS tracks and ofers overnight shipping. Have never had a problem with UPS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I was at my FFL yesterday and saw the UPS truck outside, walked up and the UPS man was inside filling the form for a gun.  As he left he said, "Well I'll probably be by to deliver it in a few days so I'll see you then."

I think he was on the job and I just thought that was pretty sweet.  (in uniform with the truck and everything.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I shiped a handgun with FED EX no problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
i had never had a problem shipping handguns or ammo through ups but never together and always at the main ups store and not the little add-ons

handguns go overnight and ammo marked orm-d
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
A person w/o a UPS account (and therefore unable to schedule a pickup by the BBT) can only ship a firearm at the actual UPS customer service counter at one of their terminals. Remote or contract stores such as "The UPS Store" cannot accept them for shipment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
UPS does ship guns and ammo but my experiences with them have been less than stellar. USPS will ship long arms and ammo. Fed Ex has been the best for me so far. Remember also that the CMP uses Fed Ex, maybe thats why they are so much more competent when it comes to firearms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK, today I went to my local UPS Store to send some ammo and they freaked out when I mentioned that it was ammunition.  They gave me the evil eye and the owner/boss told me that the UPS doesn't touch firearms or ammunition.

And I said I had received ammo and my rifles had been sent to ffl using UPS in the past.  He said it must be corporate owned UPS Stores and that they don't exist anymore.

Was he feeding me BS?  Or did UPS stop doing ammo/gun shipping?

What is the best way to ship out some ammo without all this hassle from ignorant anti's?

Thank you for all your input.
-Ha

There is a huge difference between UPS and UPS Stores.  The UPS Stores are formerly Mailboxes Etc and are a different entity than the cargo carrier.  UPS Stores have a corporate policy against shipping guns, ammo and gun parts into or out of their stores.  If you want to send a gun, you have to go to the UPS hub.  I know Staples also handles UPS shippments but I don't know if they have a policy about guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
UPS does ship guns and ammo but my experiences with them have been less than stellar. USPS will ship long arms and ammo. Fed Ex has been the best for me so far. Remember also that the CMP uses Fed Ex, maybe thats why they are so much more competent when it comes to firearms.

Really?  I thought ammunition couldn't be shipped via USPS?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And wtf happened to your former name de guerre?

I wanted a better name before I became a team member.  I thought of this one a while ago and chuckled, so I registered it and went for it
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You need to bring it to a terminal

Yep.
If you ship a firearm it has to be overnight, that way they can rape you with the freight charge.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The UPS stores are asses.

What he said.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Only hand guns need to be next day air .... long guns can be shipped ground ... as well as ammo ...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The UPS stores are asses.

What he said.    

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

UPS stores are franchises, if the owner is a good true blue entreprenurial hard working american who actually works shifts at his store dealing with him will almost certainly be a pleasure.  But if it is just some ignoramus kid or some bitchy liberal woman, your experience will be difficult.  I have had some complete asshole people at some UPS stores tell me catagorically that UPS doesn't ship fireamrs period and then tell me I was an idiot for asking why I was able to ship a fire arm the month before (Well the reason was b/c it was at a terminal).  But I have had other ups store people be super nice.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Nope.  8mm from Century.  My thumb and finger are about to fall off from linking 4K rounds of it.  

1919 in 8mm?  Camden shoot?  MG3?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Nobody liked my UPS man story? I got a hell of a kick out of that.  I allready liked UPS [everyday UPS comes is like Christmas] but after that I'm even more of a UPS fan.

675lbs of ammo! wow.

grazini.  go to a main terminal and ship the gun.  UPS ships guns.  always insure.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I ship guns via UPS all the time.  As long as it's going to a FFL holder, there isn't an issue IIRC.   Pistols may require a bit more red tape though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#26]
thank you people, I figured out and sent ammo via UPS at the main terminal.  That took a frustrating 1 hour for them to get authorization or further phone call from higher up the chain.  Then they came back saying...it must be shipped 2nd day air.

2nd day air my @$$.  Put "cartridges, small arms.  ORM-D" and gone with Ground.

Next time I will be much more prepared with the info so I can stick the regulation in the face and not wait an hour
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Did you have to ship 2nd day or did you get them to do ground?

They ship guns ground.  I've done it before unless they changed policy in the last two years which is possible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I just shipped a glock22 from Oklahoma to North Vegas ups for $12 UPS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I forgot to mention that one time I shipped a bushmaster AR pistol at a UPS terminal and the ignorant black lady asked me to show her firearm and then got this realy concerned look on her face and said, "that looks likes a terrorist gun!...are you a terrorist?"  

I just glowered at her.  

Itsn't it illegal or something for UPS to ship ammo in the air as it is sealed w/ ground level atmospheric pressure and full of explosives?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top