Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:57:06 AM EDT
My boss is buying a pistol... I am biased torwards Kimber ( I own a ProCarry HD II), and have never owned or handled a Springfield...Which is the better choice... Cost is not a concern.

Cite your reasons for either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Kimber

i have both, love the kimber better--tigher fit, better finish, better fitted parts, very smooth

h/w, there is nothing w/ SAs--and from what i have seen w/ the higher end ones, they are just as good, if not better than kimbers
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info... That is the kind of feedback she needs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info... That is the kind of feedback she needs.

Sweeeeeeeet.  "She" is going to rock a 1911, very cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]

My order of preference is:

1.  Older, pre-Series II Kimber (before the firing pin safety, and before the external extractor)

2.  Springfield

3.  Current, Series II Kimber

As I understand it, the Springfields are made from Brazilian components and have a 2-piece barrel.  I don't like that.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO, it's a toss up.  Either would be a great pistol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I own 2 new Kimbers the Warrior and Gold Match II both have the internal extractors and are superb guns...no problems yet...however I have never owned a SA 1911.  I have a neighbor who has owned just about everything and suggested the Kimber to me...I did not regret the purchase.  Good Luck!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No me gusta Hecho en Brazil.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

its suppose to be in Portuguese!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As I understand it, the Springfields are made from Brazilian components and have a 2-piece barrel.  I don't like that.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Only certain models, have the 2 piece barrel.  I'm not positive, but I believe any serial number that starts with NM and/or the high end pistols all have 1 piece barrels.  The GI series is definitely 2 piece.

I voted Springfield.  I have a terrible, unexplainable bias towards Kimber.  I do think that Springfield has the best entry level 1911 available for the money.  The parkerized Loaded model gives you the typical features plus night sights for around $700.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eu não gosto feito em Brasil.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

I picked the TRP because it was the only 1911 with all the features I wanted that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  It's been 100% reliable since I bought it, and honestly don't see myself buying any other brand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two kimbers. I have never shot a Springfield so I am biased. My Kimbers have been so good that I have not had reason to look else where.
But I have nothing against Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eu não gosto feito em Brasil.

nice!

i learned some port....(i dont think that they would appreciate it though)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Springfield

Internal Extractor

And yes, I own both.  Both make great guns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Colt 1911's

I had a Kimber and wasnt' too impressed with it at all
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Out of the two I like Kimber much more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd take a used Kimber over a new Springfield.

If you insist on comparing new against new, I'd take the Springfield.  I'm a Kimber fan from he very beginning, but the schwartz safety is something I just can't get around.  At least they've finally recognized the futility of the external extractor though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Both are quality pistols. I think it just comes down to features and price. I do like the internal extractor in the Springfield over the external in the Kimber. I've owned both brands and I prefer the Springfield for that reason.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Both are quality pistols. I think it just comes down to features and price. I do like the internal extractor in the Springfield over the external in the Kimber. I've owned both brands and I prefer the Springfield for that reason.

FWIW Kimber is doing away with the external extractor on the majority of their pistols.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'd take a used Kimber over a new Springfield.

If you insist on comparing new against new, I'd take the Springfield.  I'm a Kimber fan from he very beginning, but the schwartz safety is something I just can't get around.  At least they've finally recognized the futility of the external extractor though.

That's my perspective as well.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess people hadn't heard that the Kimbers are going back to internal extractors???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I guess people hadn't heard that the Kimbers are going back to internal extractors???

I've heard that, but the shelves still have a lot of external extrator Kimbers on them.  Plus, they aren't abandoning the Schwartz firing pin safety.

Does the Warrior have the FP safety?  I don't think so.  That would be a nice choice.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard that, but the shelves still have a lot of external extrator Kimbers on them.  Plus, they aren't abandoning the Schwartz firing pin safety.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... internal extractors...

I've heard that...

Mentioned three other times in this thread....

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Depending on budget, if this is going to be a CCW gun, it's worth looking into the Springfield SS Champion.  The gun has night sights, ambi-safety, beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, beveled mag-well.  Nice gun for the money.  Mine has only seen about 150 rounds so far, but hasn't experienced a single failure of any kind, which is a great thing for a gun still in break-in.  And since it's stainless, it's a little less "military looking" for the discriminating female 1911 owner.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two springfields and love them both but I voted Kimber because if I could and money was not an issue I would get a Raptor. Between the base models I would get another Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Depending on budget, if this is going to be a CCW gun, it's worth looking into the Springfield SS Champion.  The gun has night sights, ambi-safety, beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, beveled mag-well.  Nice gun for the money.  Mine has only seen about 150 rounds so far, but hasn't experienced a single failure of any kind, which is a great thing for a gun still in break-in.  And since it's stainless, it's a little less "military looking" for the discriminating female 1911 owner.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.... She is going to go with the Eclipse Pro2..... Nice 1st pistol Id say....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never owned a Kimber, although I have shot a few & have been very favorably impressed.

But I have owned (and do own) Springfield 1911s and mine have served me very well, indeed.  I had to vote SA.

ETA:  Dang... I had to answer the phone in the middle of typing & the decision was made ^^^ before I got this posted!

Yes, a fine first gun... my vote notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Shit are you kidding, Springfield couldn't build a  production 1911 to my standards of accuracy or reliability if their lives depended on it.  

KIMBER.  <that's the only production 1911 that I would touch anymore.  

And I'ld rather it be a Baer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Shit are you kidding, Springfield couldn't build a  production 1911 to my standards of accuracy or reliability if their lives depended on it.

Hmm, the only 1911 style pistol that I have ever owned that always goes 'BANG' every time I pull the trigger and goes to its intended point of aim and I own right now is the parkerized Springfield GI 5-inch pistol.

Now, I'm not that old mind you but I got serious on the .45ACP bandwagon in 1986 and the only .45ACP that worked for me every time is the Sig P220. Still have that P220 to this day.

Still, I've had no hiccups what so ever with my low priced, two-piece barreled, Imbel forged?? Springfield GI.

Um, yeah, it eats hollow points all day without a fuss, in stock trim, no modifications. No really!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#33]
i know shes buying a kimber, but i voted so heres my opinion - i think kimber makes a better gun across the board(meaning ANY model is great) but if money wasnt an issue i would buy the top end SA and never look back.

my .02

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, the only 1911 style pistol that I have ever owned that always goes 'BANG' every time I pull the trigger and goes to its intended point of aim and I own right now is the parkerized Springfield GI 5-inch pistol.

Now, I'm not that old mind you but I got serious on the .45ACP bandwagon in 1986 and the only .45ACP that worked for me every time is the Sig P220. Still have that P220 to this day.

Still, I've had no hiccups what so ever with my low priced, two-piece barreled, Imbel forged?? Springfield GI.

Um, yeah, it eats hollow points all day without a fuss, in stock trim, no modifications. No really!!!

lucky you - my GI is fine as long you as you dont run too many rounds through it at once - i would not trust my life on it, thats for damn sure.

I too have a SIG P220 that is 100% reliable through 4500 rounds now. mines the stainless R. i love it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top