Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2002 2:47:28 PM EDT
I just swapped a bunch of parts and old magazines for a copy of a PPK.

From what I glean, the gun was manufactured by FEG in Hungary.  It's model # is SMC-380.  the right side of the slide is stamped K.B.I. Harrisburg, PA (the importer, I assume).

It's a parkerized copy of a Walther PPK, though it feels "beefier" than a Walther.  The machining gets rough around the front sight (which is milled into the slide) but seems like a well-built pistol.

Does anyone have any experience with these guns?  I traded roughly $200 in miscellaneous stuff for it.  Is it a fair deal?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like .380's much, they seem to do nothing well and now there are a few small 9mm's that are about the same size as the 380.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The suggested retail on those...$279
In exc. condition $200
Neither a bargain nor robbery, IMO.
I have the bigger 9MM copy of the HP made by FEG and love it. It was $199 a few years back, new.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
After starting this threat last night, I shot my new acquisition at Wolf's in Bristol, CT (an excellent place to shoot, by the way).

The gun functioned flawlessly with PMC factory ammo.  It's performance was comparable to the Walther PPK.  From what I've learned, the FEG SWC-380 has the distinction of being the SMALLEST handgun ever imported into the U.S. with a height a scant 4.1 inches.

Though it wouldn't be my first choice were I to go in harm's way, it'll make a nice little pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#4]
to bad your not here I could trade you for the smallest 1911 colt ever made a Colt Junior in its orig box.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
FEG makes some really good handguns. About the only problem I've ever found is that there are often a skizillion different versions of each one. For example, there are at least HiPower like pistols they sell but only the FEG PJK 9HP appears to actually be a clone in that parts for the FN will also fit and work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The smallest ever imported?  No way.  I have a Belgian Baby Browning that is much smaller.  I wouldn't claim that it is the smallest ever imported either.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The smallest ever imported?  No way.  I have a Belgian Baby Browning that is much smaller.  I wouldn't claim that it is the smallest ever imported either.  Watch-Six

From www.makarov.com:

The SMC-380 is of historical interest because it is the smallest gun ever imported legally into the U.S. since the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (according to which a gun cannot be imported if it is less than 4.0 inches in height). The SMC-380, which is barely 4.1 inches high, had to have a target-type left grip installed to meet the government's stringent importation criteria. The left target-style grip widened the pistol from 1.1 to 1.3 inches, but that was a small price to pay. A thinner, flatter left grip panel is also available on request.

Was the baby Browning imported before 1968?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The gun functioned flawlessly with PMC factory ammo.  It's performance was comparable to the Walther PPK.  From what I've learned, the FEG SWC-380 has the distinction of being the SMALLEST handgun ever imported into the U.S. with a height a scant 4.1 inches.

yeah there are plenty of other imports that are way smaller than that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 1911 Junior Colt in ,25 cal Is sweet,  Yupper so I dought 2.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From www.makarov.com:

The SMC-380 is of historical interest because it is the smallest gun ever imported legally into the U.S. since the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (according to which a gun cannot be imported if it is less than 4.0 inches in height). The SMC-380, which is barely 4.1 inches high, had to have a target-type left grip installed to meet the government's stringent importation criteria. The left target-style grip widened the pistol from 1.1 to 1.3 inches, but that was a small price to pay. A thinner, flatter left grip panel is also available on request.

Was the baby Browning imported before 1968?

the BB looks like the 1903/8 Colts...I can guess the were imported in the early 20th Cent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm doing this from memory, but I think it is accurate.  The smallest gun designed as a working pistol (as opposed to the intentionally miniaturized guns) was the 2.7mm Kolibri.  IIRC, that converts to a .10 caliber bullet.  The overall size for a round of ammo was less than 1/2" long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top