Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 5:07:29 AM EDT
I bought my first revolver yesterday. I got the S&W 642 NIB for $339.

This will serve as my back up gun, filling a role between GLOCK 19 and Kel-Tec P-32. It is a very handy little weapon and rides in a coat or pants pocket very easily. I plan to check out some ankle holsters in the near future. I will probably also use the 642 as my primary weapon when I go to the gym so I might be looking at belly bands as well.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!  Wheel guns are fine and fun.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks. Too bad shooting it feels like whacking an anvil with a piece of re-bar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. Too bad shooting it feels like whacking an anvil with a piece of re-bar.

I own a Taurus 851 ULTRA-LITE, I know exactly what you mean.

About 15 to 20 rounds is enough for me when I take it to the range.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own a Taurus 851 ULTRA-LITE, I know exactly what you mean.

About 15 to 20 rounds is enough for me when I take it to the range.

The +p Gold Dots were absolutely punishing to shoot. I wonder if they guys who own the 10oz .357s actually shoot them?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice snubbie! I have a model 37 that I absolutely love, they are excellent as a BUG. The Speer rounds do beat the heck out of your hands though, but they are worth it, probably the best round for the 38 that's on the market today. You won't be sorry for buying that pistol!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a 642, which also happens to be my first wheelgun
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just picked up a 642, which also happens to be my first wheelgun

Is your hand sore yet?

I am taking the little bitch back to the range tomorrow. I may have to stick with weak hand practice after the beating my right hand took today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a S&W 640 for a few years as a backup/off duty weapon.   They're nice handguns.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't decide which to get, the 642, 649 or 637? I'm leaning toward the 637.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can't decide which to get, the 642, 649 or 637? I'm leaning toward the 637.

I got the 642 because it is more compact, snag resistant, and allows you to grip it much higher allowing better control.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Great gun doesn't mean lots of fun to shoot. I like to shoot lots of different revolvers including a couple of different 629's and a couple of 656's including a snubby. After shooting for fun I finish up my range time with two or three loads of full power ammo thru my 642-1.
It doesn't do any good to shoot to the point where you do damage to yourself and teach yourself to flinch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
my 642 in a ankle rig
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked at a Taurus revolver similar to this today.

They really have the right idea for grips on one of these lightweight J-frames. The Taurus grip is compact, yet still fills the hand nicely. It has rubber over the backstrap to absorb recoil but adds no length to the buttof the weapon. The factory Smith boot grips are terrible and the aftermarket grips from Hogue and Pachmyar add quite a bit of bulk to the gun compromising too much in concealability.

It's too bad someone doesn't offer a similar grip for the S&W J-frames.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Alas, my afair with the wheelgun was not meant to last. I have already sold the 642 I bought a week ago. I guess it is back to my first love, the semi auto.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Hint Hint:  Try the Kahr PM9 next.    
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hint Hint:  Try the Kahr PM9 next.    

That is exactly what I intend to do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#17]
The only quirk is use the slide release to chamber a round.  Instead of sling shot release.

If I'd have known that on the first range trip it would have saved me a lot of frustration and embarrassment.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The only quirk is use the slide release to chamber a round.  Instead of sling shot release.

If I'd have known that on the first range trip it would have saved me a lot of frustration and embarrassment.  

I use the slide release as the primary method for chambering my G19, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
my hand is fine, i love the 642
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
my hand is fine, i love the 642

Do you carry the 642 as a primary weapon or back up gun?

I bought the 642 as a primary CCW for my wife/pocket gun for myself. Although it would probably been fine as a BUG, I was not at all comfortable with it as a primary means of self defense. My wife didn't like it becuase the recoil was too much for her. I thought it was a very nice gun, but just too different from what I am used to. I really wanted the Kahr to start with but I ran across the Smith and thought I would give it a try. For me, the compact autos are much easier shoot well and infinately faster to reload. The PM9 specifically is also smaller, much thinner, holds more ammo, and has less recoil. The advantage of using the same caliber ammo as my primary gun and carbines also doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I carried a S&W M442 or M36 as a BUG for years. You have to get used to them like any new weapon. I shot .38 wadcutters for practice and 10 rds of +P at the end of my session. I found that shooting full house ammo through one all the time was detrimental. The wadcutters allowed me to work on basics and practice drills. I would practice firing 5 shots into a target (sometimes 2 targets) from 5-10 yds reload and fire 5 more rounds. The 10rds of +P were to get used to the recoil and gauge any change in POI.  

I used the snubbies as a BUG because they would fire 5 shots every time, without fail. I carried in a pocket holster on my weak (left) side so I could reach the weapon if I was injured or using my strong hand to retain my weapon. I always carried a speedloader in my strong side pocket in case I needed a reload. People would see my 92F on my strong side and never expect to see the backup come off my weak side.

Carry whatever you feel most comfortable with, but I will always feel that there is a place for the snubbie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I like my 442 and carry it or my SIG P239 depending on clothing.  Don't try to shoot the snubbie over 5 yards until you get used to it, you'll just get frustrated.  The DOA trigger is very different than other guns.  You need to use a high grip and recoil is not bad.  My wife (5'2" and 120lbs) likes it.  Don't shoot +P all the time.

The advantage of the revolver is that it won't  jam, you could even shoot thru you coat pocket if you had to.  Statistics say three shots are the most fired in 95% of devensive situations.

I don't feel undergunned.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I looked at a Taurus revolver similar to this today.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/P5270014-2005.jpg

They really have the right idea for grips on one of these lightweight J-frames. The Taurus grip is compact, yet still fills the hand nicely. It has rubber over the backstrap to absorb recoil but adds no length to the buttof the weapon. The factory Smith boot grips are terrible and the aftermarket grips from Hogue and Pachmyar add quite a bit of bulk to the gun compromising too much in concealability.

It's too bad someone doesn't offer a similar grip for the S&W J-frames.

I'd like one a those in 44 mag,do they make that??
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice gun. Perfect for its intended use.

I know what you mean about the kick.

I have to wear gloves when I shoot full-power .357 mag loads in my SP101, otherwise my knuckles bleed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]
They make slightly bigger grips for those that mitigate recoil for the pussies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They make slightly bigger grips for those that mitigate recoil for the pussies.

I could tolerate the recoil although it is a little much for the whopping 220 FPE you get in return. My wife, on the other hand, fired one round and was done with it. That was all I needed to get rid of it. One can not easily build skills and confidence with a weapon when one is dreading every pull of the trigger.

I looked at the Hogue and Pachmyar grips that cover the backstrap, but they add too much length to the butt of the gun to work well with pocket carry.

I sold the 642 and ordered the Kahr PM9. The Kahr is the same weight and smaller in every dimension-almost a half inch thinner than the J-frame. It also has better sights, better trigger, FAR less recoil, but still fires a more powerful cartridge. All those factors in a more shootable package that is about 80 times faster to reload. What's not to love?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top