Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2002 6:56:12 AM EDT
I'd appreciate opinions and, especially, experience between the S&W  CS 45 (Chief's special autoloader) and Taurus Millennium P145.  Obviously both are .45ACP.  My purpose is the most compact carry gun.  I have other Smiths, but even the smallest one has a bit too long a spur on the grip safety.  ANd, either of these would be shorter and lower (it's for the pocket, or possibly a Pager Pal, and I don't want it sticking into me).  I recognize the Taurus is composite, as well.  

Normally, I'd just lean to Smith.  But, the Taurus is somewhat smaller, and holds 10 rounds instead of 6.  Not that I expect to need the extra, but nice to have.  

Reliability is my key concern.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Having never fired the CS Smith, I cannot comment on it.
But the Taurus Millenium in .45 I gave a workout to, fired anything that was in the magazine with no problem and put 'em in the bull at 25 feet.
The only problem was after cleaning, the owner installed the recoil spring backwards, which locked the gun up...seems the opened end of the coil screwed its way over the "nail head" of the guide rod. To me, they could have made both ends closed so that could never happen.
When firing slowly, the trigger is stagy, moving in steps...thats new from the box.
Rapid fire that does not show up, as you are pulling in one quick motion.
Overall, I liked it and recoil was not bad at all. The wife even shot it too...no limp wristing problem.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
www.pt145.com/problem.html

mine cracked just like the one in the lower pictures. taurus denied any problem. luckily my dealer was cool and took it back, for a full refund. i will never consider another taurus product.

another linky..

www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/6045/
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot for the advice and input.  The "hands on" experience is what is important to me.  Sorry to hear about the blowup.  

It's still going to be a tough call though I am leaning now to the Smith CS45.  One poster had good results, and someone on a similar thread commented about not wanting to have a "good" gun sitting in an evidence room, so he wanted a POS gun.  My concern is, why would I trust my life to a POS?  Also, I saw a CS 45 at a gun show for $450., close enough to the $350. - $375 (stainless) 145.  I'll just have to deal with the additional weight and slight size increase.  The 10 rounds would be nice, but if I can't drop my opponent with 7, I should be running.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot a Smith 457, which is larger but similar to the CS 45.  It performed well, and I have no qualms about using it or the CS to protect myself.  I don't like the extended magazine basepad, that is an undesirable feature on a CCW gun.  They tend to snag on anything and everything.  

Whatever else the S&W autos are, they are not pieces of crap.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
While I have never fired a CS auto in .45, I, like Ken, have shot the 457. For less money, it is a very decent pistol and can easily be "customized" in the grip tang area with Mr. Dremel and some touch-up paint. Mag bases are changible.

Pass on this Taurus, unlike some of their other models, it is not "right" yet...or so I have heard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top