Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:55:27 PM EDT
ok, i made a thread before on HK vs. Beretta, but now the competition has gotten even harder.

here are my final two choices that i'm deciding between.  will be used for range, competition, and home defense.  looking for reliability, durability, reduced recoil, and overall quality.  weight is not an issue.

1.  HK USP 9mm Fullsize.  private seller.  500-600 rounds through it.  comes with 2 10 round mags. $550 after shipping and FFL fees

2.  Certified preowned SIG p226.  from a gunshop.  looks immaculate. comes with 2 15 round mags and a 1 year factory warranty.  $530 after shipping and FFL fees.

the winner of this showdown shall be my new handgun
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
poll it!

very tough choice.....i would probably opt for the SIG--i like the trigger pull better

h/w, i would consider getting the HK now and getting a SIG P-226 from CDNN later on (PD trade ins for ~$400....)

but then you get the 15rnd mags now w/ the SIG and only 10rnd mags for the HK.....and mags will run another $30+....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTP

Both are good guns, but I would go with the HK over the sig.  That is a good deal on the HK, I would get it while you can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
can't do a poll at the moment.  will get a membership after i sell all my stuff.  thanks for the input guys!  interested in seeing what other ppl have to say!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
can't do a poll at the moment.  will get a membership after i sell all my stuff.  thanks for the input guys!  interested in seeing what other ppl have to say!

go to "edit" topic and there should be a "add poll" tag on the right corner

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
SIG!!

IBTP

That is a good price on a USP, and a decent price on the Sig.  Either will give you years of faithful service.  The Sig is better looking
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
can ya'll give me some positives and negatives?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The negatives on both weapons are insignificant, as long as they both fit your hand well.
They're both high quality weapons.

I'd go with the Private sale first over the gun store one, you can always go back to a gun store and get a cpo sig for about that (or thru CDNN for that matter).

I've kicked myself too many times from missing private sales that I should have picked up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The USP has an accessory rail and polygonal rifling. For the prices you listed, I'd go with the H&K.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Tough call. Try the trigger on each and go with the one you prefer. Either way, you can't go wrong.

vs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I would get the Sig, for me it's a no brainer.  But for me Glock and Sig are the two choices for handguns anyway.
I hate the HK grip first of all.  The Trigger isn't as nice IMO.  I also hate the company because of how they continue to fuck the American public.

Sig actually likes to bring us new products.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Sig
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I cant say much about the HK, but I have 2 Sig 226's, an 88 model and and one I bought in 2003.  The old one shot as great as the new one.  Great shot groupings.  I know aot of HK USP 45 owners who love their HK's.  You will enjoy both I believe.  The stock trigger on the 226 is unbelievable!  

ps  the newer Sigs have accessory rails now!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I Love my HK USP . I Found that it is easily controllable, Reliable and Accurate. Recoil should be real light feeling in the 9mm due to the recoil reducer ( I shoot my .45 and its so light and smooth shooting ). Handle/Shoot both if you can and test which one you like better in your hand. What fits nice in your hand is important. Also, you can buy a jet funnel in the USP 9mm and use the 18 round mags with it. I like having the External safety, so if your the same then the HK is the way to go. Both the HK and the Sig have Decocking levers (With the HK you pull the safety straight down to decock). If you shoot all year round, then the HK is excellant for that. You can comfortably wear gloves and operate the firearm, it's as if the HK was designed to be shot with Gloves on. They are both nice firearms, no doubt there, but IMO the HK is the way to go.

Nathan

Edited to Add Pix.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What year is the USP?  I have one of the older ones (1994) that are designed in such a way that the hammer rebound spring has a tendency to break if you do a lot of shooting.    
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Sig!
I love the Sigs and they also feel the best in my hand..
Check which feels the best and if possible, rent and shoot both guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Hard decision.  I'd probably go with SIG.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
it's as if the HK was designed to be shot with Gloves on

it was

i have hk's and sigs, like them equally.  neither is a bad choice, but i'd jump all over that usp :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
ok guys, i bought the USP!  i figured there will always be a Sig around for me to buy, but not a like new HK USP for $545 out the door.  if worse comes to worse, and i don't like the USP, which i doubt, i could always sell it for more than i paid and buy the Sig.  thanks for all the opinions guys!  stay tuned to the HK section for pics  btw, the USP's date code is KI, which is 98.  anything wrong w/ that year?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I prefer the Sig 226

Both are good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
btw, the USP's date code is KI, which is 98.  anything wrong w/ that year?

Anything with a SN 24-21515 or higher has the improved parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't know what the serial number is.  does that correspond to a year?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ok guys, i bought the USP!  i figured there will always be a Sig around for me to buy, but not a like new HK USP for $545 out the door.  if worse comes to worse, and i don't like the USP, which i doubt, i could always sell it for more than i paid and buy the Sig.  thanks for all the opinions guys!  stay tuned to the HK section for pics  btw, the USP's date code is KI, which is 98.  anything wrong w/ that year?

Exellent choice
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

also, is there any cosmetic differences between the brand new ones and one from 98?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know...maybe late '95  or about 5000 USPs after mine was made, whichever came first
Yours is gonna be fine, and waaay smoother than my '94.

I still like my conventionally-rifled barrel though.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so mine was made using that new-fangled process?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

also, is there any cosmetic differences between the brand new ones and one from 98?

Yeah. Just recently, I mean in this past year HK has made some changes. The newer models can be seen in the above picture in this thread. There are the big USP letters on the grip and on the slide there is HK followed by the weird little symbol.

The older ones have HK USP on the grip and do not have the weird symbol on the slide. Mine is an '03 (AD) and it doesn't have the newer features. Many, many die hard HK fans do not like this new look that HK has gone after.
Very good choice. HK is way better than SIG , plus you got one hell of a steal..................................
I mean deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah. The bore is polygonal rifled. It offers better accuracy and higher velocity than traditionally rifled barrels. The drawback is that you cannot shoot pure lead bullets out of the barrel, they must be copper jacketed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a good thing.  No need for the
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Its a good thing.  No need for the

just did that b/c i don't know much about the gun i'm buying.  i guess i'll learn though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I vote for the Sig.

I have owned both, and the H&K is being shipped to someone else this week. There's nothing wrong with it, but the Sig feels better and for me, seems to shoot MUCH better. The 226 is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I love them both...I don't think I could choose between them in real life, but since this is the internet......I think I'd go with the HK. No specific reason.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#33]
You picked the best one.  Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I was gonig to vote for the H&K, but I see you already bought the right one.

Congrats on your purchase!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top