Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 11:43:43 PM EDT
My Kid has been in the Navy as an Agis systems programmer for 3 years and will re-enlist in a few months. He is traveling with his Wife and Baby Girl from Norfolk to visit us in Dallas around Christmas time. He just turned 21 a few months ago and can now legally own a hand gun. He told me a few months ago that if he had a choice as to what brand hand gun to own it would be a Berretta 92 since that is what he uses on guard duty. So I took the plunge and put a Beretta in layaway today. He will flip out Christams morning when he opens it up. I will be very excited to see the look on his face when he opens his gift, and also look forward to going to the in door range with him also. I hope he will have no problem taking it with him on the plane on his way home. John232
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hope he will have no problem taking it with him on the plane on his way home. John232

Get him a $10 plastic padded lockable case, or if you're REALY nice, one of those James Bond looking brushed aluminum pistol cases (that makes it look like it aught to be a '93 with a supressor and some sort of high-tech sight).

Make sure he calls the airline and asks about transporting an unloaded and cased weapon in baggage. I'm too poor to fly anything but SWA, and I've never had trouble with them. I take it to the front desk, declair it, open the case, tell them there is no ammo and the weapon is dissassembeled, and they tag it and we lock it again. Simple as that.

R.G.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You Sir are a Great Dad!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Good one, John, that warms the heart.
I remember way back upon my sons 21st birthday...he opened the box and out popped a S&W 645!
The look on his face...priceless!
(have camera at the ready as I did)
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
john232,

im 41. am i too old for you to adopt??
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure it's a gift otherwise BATF will be on your you-know-what. They really don't like people buying guns for other people even if legal. Anyway great gift!

Say you are going to give him some 15 round mags also? That would REALLY make it a great gift!

CRC
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Do like we always do with gifts of that caliber(no pun intended ) that we want to keep a secret!

Put it in a shoe box or some other devious packagig to throw off the scent before opening, if he sees a pistol sized box, he'll know what it is before opening...

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Put it in a box in a box in a box.  Make him work to get it out.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Gee, THANKS, DAD!!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Put it in a box in a box in a box.  Make him work to get it out.  

Naah, just do what my aunt does, get the little clear string-reenforced tape thats harder than hell to cut and tape the F* out of that bugger, then wrap it and make sure you dont spare the tape again, and leave him no openings to stick a finger in and rip in the paper. Oh, and fold the paper so its double-sheeted :)

Heh, and I havnt even celebrated Christmas like that since I went to college...

Funny what you remember.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My Kid has been in the Navy as an Agis systems programmer for 3 years and will re-enlist in a few months. He is traveling with his Wife and Baby Girl from Norfolk to visit us in Dallas around Christmas time. He just turned 21 a few months ago and can now legally own a hand gun. He told me a few months ago that if he had a choice as to what brand hand gun to own it would be a Berretta 92 since that is what he uses on guard duty. So I took the plunge and put a Beretta in layaway today. He will flip out Christams morning when he opens it up. I will be very excited to see the look on his face when he opens his gift, and also look forward to going to the in door range with him also. I hope he will have no problem taking it with him on the plane on his way home. John232

How many magazines? 10-rd? You might get him a box of self-defense ammo to go with it, and maybe at least one hi-cap mag if you see a good deal on one at one of the upcoming gun shows...
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the great ideas.... I am thinking about exchanging the berreta that is in lay a way for a silver chrome one they just got in stock that is only 50.00 more than the black one. What do ya think?? I am paying 549.99 for the Black M9 and they want 599.99 for the silver chrome one, that also has some real nice custom rubber grips on it too. I may swap models tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. John
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Switch it out !
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the great ideas.... I am thinking about exchanging the berreta that is in lay a way for a silver chrome one they just got in stock that is only 50.00 more than the black one. What do ya think?? I am paying 549.99 for the Black M9 and they want 599.99 for the silver chrome one, that also has some real nice custom rubber grips on it too. I may swap models tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. John

Find out what your son prefers. Some people like black and some like the silver guns that stands out in a crowd....

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
You've done a good thing!
Regardless of the model, make sure you enclose a couple large pictures of Osama Bin Laden.  That way he won't have to buy any targets when he gets to the range.  And he'll know why he joined the Navy in the first place!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Guns are the best Chirstmas gift by far.

and giving someone a gun with no ammo is like giving a toy with no batteries.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guns are the best Chirstmas gift by far.

and giving someone a gun with no ammo is like giving a toy with no batteries.

LMAO....so true!
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Find out if that model with the rubber wrap around grips is a Brigadier. If it is, definately go for it! The Brigs are the ones that come with the rubber wrap around grips. I've got one on order from my local FFL (should be in Tuesday, or so) and I paid $657.45 after all the BK check, NICs, shipping, etc...

Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure the boy will be happy  ! !

Got a 92 FS last year for myself last Christmas, and it is truly a wonderful 9mm.  Did have a little problem with the 10 rounds mags, until the pistol was "broke in a bit".

If looking for good RELIABLE high cap mags, try the ones by MecGar.  Have several for my Hi-Power, and three for the 92 FS.  Always 100 % ! ! !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top