Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 7:50:15 AM EDT
Any opinions on a Sig 228 or 229 for CCW ? ? What caliber, and why ? ? ?

Thanks ! !
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:09:52 AM EDT
BB,
Considering they are the same size, with a tad greater weight on the 229{because of s.s. slide} you just have to decide on caliber.

9mm in the 228 or 40s&w/.357 sig in the 229, depends what avalible.{go with the 40}

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:22:33 AM EDT
I say go with .357 SIG if you go with P229. It has lower recoil (sharper,just not as hard) than the .40. Performance is great on the .357. Guaranteed never to stovepipe. Secret Service and Texas Rangers use it. For me, it beats the .40.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:18:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2002 7:20:02 AM EDT by sig_230]
I'm a fan of the 9mm over either the 40S&W or the 357SiG. Either the 228 or 229 will be reliable, accurate, concealable and great fun to shoot. Hard to go wrong with either.

SO....

You have one vote for each or the calibers and everybody says they are both great handguns. I bet this helped you a lot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:41:18 PM EDT
It all depends on which caliber you feel you can handle and shoot best. Some people don't like the hard recoil of the .40 and some don't like the sharp and quick muzzle climb of the .357. 9mm is the easiest to shoot. However, 9mm penetrates too much and doesn't cause sufficient trauma/wounding to be an efficient defense round. You can remedy this by findin some high caps so you can spray more, though. I think .357 is a good recoil/control compromise. However, it is up to you. But no matter which caliber you choose, the SIG made sidearms will serve you well and never let you down.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:21:41 AM EDT
I've carried a Sig P228 in 9mm for abou eight years and I still feel confident about the P228.
IMHO it is the best feeling out of the box pistol there is. The recoil is very mild, which allows rapid and accurate follow up shots.
The P228 is lighter and a bit narrower than the P229. I've never had a malfunction with any of the Sigs that I've had. There are plenty of high performance 9mm loads out there and there are many different kinds of cheap practice ammo available also. If you don't reload, practice ammo for the 357 and 40 are expensive. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:22:36 AM EDT
One other pistol to consider is the SiG 225. It is very concealable and a great choice. Of my 9mm SiGs, it is the one I end up carrying most often.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:37:34 PM EDT
I agree with the 225 option, I am replaced my P7 with a 225 for CCW because of the weight savings. I can carry the P7 all day thanks to Milt Sparks, but after about 5 hours tha P7s weight starts to get noticed, so hopefully the 225 I can go a lot longer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:35:57 AM EDT
The 9mm is far from being an ineffective round, especially if you use something like the 124 gr Speer Gold Dot +P or the fine Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+.

I have a Sig P229 in .40 and it is one of my favorite pistols. Some people are talking about recoil problems, but I have honestly never even noticed any significant recoil. I could shoot that load from that gun all day and not care.

Like some others have said, you really can't go wrong with a 228 or 229. They are both fine pistols. Just pick the gun and caliber you want. All have good potential.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:29:29 PM EDT
Unless you have something against 9mm, I'd go for a 228 with hi-caps and some good ammo. Not only is it lighter, but the capacity is higher than the larger calibers too. Not to mention, you can shoot more for the same price. Nill grips are always a great addition...
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:21:03 AM EDT
I like the P228 because I have both 13rnd and 15rnd h/c mags in a compact pistol. With good 9mm HP ammo, you should be good to go.

Sort of off-topic, I already own a Sig Sauer P-228 and wonder if anyone has any opinions on a good quality CCW holster. I thought about purchasing one from Dillon Precision but I know their are a lot of other brands our there. Looking for something high quality that will keep the P228 low profile but easy to access.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:38:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By knightone:
It all depends on which caliber you feel you can handle and shoot best. Some people don't like the hard recoil of the .40 and some don't like the sharp and quick muzzle climb of the .357. 9mm is the easiest to shoot. However, 9mm penetrates too much and doesn't cause sufficient trauma/wounding to be an efficient defense round. You can remedy this by findin some high caps so you can spray more, though. I think .357 is a good recoil/control compromise. However, it is up to you. But no matter which caliber you choose, the SIG made sidearms will serve you well and never let you down.

Uh, not so much. Your statement is only correct with regard to the 9mm with ball ammo, or a poorly-designed JHP or softpoint load. Modern JHP designs for the 9mm are excellent. If you use the right ammo, there's not much difference among 9, .40, 357 Sig and .45. The 228 is lighter and a little thinner than the 229, and for me seems to be a little easier to conceal. I'd get a 228 and some pre-ban mags, stoke it with good JHP ammo and carry it with confidence. If you want more definitive info on ammo performance, try www.ammolab.com.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:00:20 PM EDT
if your looking for a good holster to carry either gun in, i recommend anything from Desantis Leather. They make a holster for any mode of carry, from there kydex tactical leg holster to their leather in the pants. look them up, at desantis leather or drop me email.

i carry a fullsize springfield 1911 in a desantis rig everyday, it is so confortable that i forget that it is there.
green
Top Top