Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 9:44:08 PM EDT
Anyone shot one of their MAC knock-offs?  I handled one at a gunshow last weekend.  It was really heavy and had about as basic a level of finish that I think I would ever accept, but something about this thing appealed to me at a very base level.  Maybe it was 30 rounds of .45.  That always gets me.

I came across a guy online who carries a bunch of different models.  But his site also carries Hi-Point pistols which was kind of a red flag to me.  

The price on these things is in my range, but I don't want to buy a piece of garbage.  If you've got hands on experience, I'd like to hear about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
MA, not too bad. I picked up the smaller model in 9mm (size of the old 380 models but chambered in 9mm) and a friend picked up the full size one.

Both shot well, and the internals were well made. The welds were excellent. The smaller one had an issue with ejecting live rounds. If they are too long (such as the Winchester White box ammo) you could not eject the live rounds as the nose of the bullet would get caught on the chamber. You had to take the gun apart to get the round out...or fire it. I think this could be easily fixed by trimming the ejector rod, but anyway it came that way. Note that it would eject spent cases just fine.

These are really rough guns to shoot. There is a lot of muzzle flip, and the ergonomics are terrible, per the original MAC designs. They are fun though, so for other than defense purposes, pretty cheap fun. Mine took Sten mags so that was another plus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
My buddy picked one up from Joeken at last months SAR show, and its quite nice.

Still gnaws at your shooting hands middle finger, from the trigger guard....but all MAC's seem to do that.

Easy to bump, not one malfunction.....we used ball, and some JHP......ate everything up.......and for $350, not too bad.

You really need to use an extension, or add a suppressor.....or fake can, for those that are don't want to deal with a tax stamp.

You really have to be a tard.......to FUBAR a MAC.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I got an MPA 10.  It seems to draw more attention at the range than my AR's do.  The only thing I do with it is bumpfire.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the MPA mini 9's right after Christmas .

Let's just say it had an " Unusual " repeatable malfunction
that is deemed undesirable by some .

Alas , I packed it up and sent it back to MPA for an
adjustment . Which reminds me that I need to call and
find out why it's been 3 weeks with no word
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  It looks like what I was expecting since these appeared to be fairly accurate reproductions of the original MACs, i.e. a little rough, muzzle rise, etc.  Just something about that little ugly gun made me want to give it a good home.  The wife and I are moving soon and part of the equity of our current home is going toward a new gun safe.  I'm hoping to shop around and get enough of a good price to allow me to misappropriate enough funds to pick up one of these in .45 as well.  If it works out I'll post a range report here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top