Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:47:36 PM EDT
I bought it in excellent condition (he said he only shot 1 box through it, and thats how it looked).  Over the next 6 months after buying it, it functioned flawlessly (1000 rounds or so).  I even named it my most reliable handgun.  Lately though, its been just crap.  Half of the time it cant make it through a 6 round clip MAGAZINE without jamming.  Last time i took it out, it jamed, and while clearing the casing the slide release/takedown lever fell out!!!!  Imagine needing it for self defense and it jams then falls apart...  Anyways, anyone else have experience with them?  feedback please.  I really liked the gun and how it shoots (when it actually did shoot good) and i was farely accurate with it too.  More so than my 1911....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine had one in 9mm, and it was a very reliable pistol.  Even though it seemed a little heavy for the caliber, it never failed when we were at the range.  I am pretty sure he still has it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am guessing you have given it a good cleaning after the 1000 rounds? Did you change ammo when the functioning problems started occuring?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the M40 but I have a Firestar M45 (45 cal) and it's a real nice pistol.  Bought it new quite a few years ago and have shot many, many rounds thru it.  Mostly my reloads which are semi-wad cutters.  Always functions and shoots great and it's pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had one in 9mm, and it was a very reliable pistol.  Even though it seemed a little heavy for the caliber, it never failed when we were at the range.  I am pretty sure he still has it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am guessing you have given it a good cleaning after the 1000 rounds? Did you change ammo when the functioning problems started occuring?

I clean my pistols and AR every time i shoot.  Even if its just a couple clips...  I have always shot PMC ammo through it and it worked fine.  Now it doesnt.  I have tried some winchester through it and that seemed worse HOWEVER i have been having problems with my s&w 40ve with the pmc ammo and it functions flawlessly with the winchester rounds.

JEEZ, shouldnt a quality pistol be able to cycle any standard round????  I could understand running into problems with hydrashocks and stuff but just regular rounds should be fine...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Try getting new magazines.  If that doesn't work take it to a gunsmith for diagnosis.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive got about 3K through mine with no problems.  For the price its been a good little gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
the problem is that you're trying to run a magazine fed weapon off of clips.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the problem is that you're trying to run a magazine fed weapon off of clips.

yes.....  im sure my failure to use the proper word is causing the problem.  thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Try getting new magazines.  If that doesn't work take it to a gunsmith for diagnosis.

Cheers

I have 2 factory 6rnds and 1 9 round.  Same problem with all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't know about the M40 but I have a Firestar M45 (45 cal) and it's a real nice pistol.  Bought it new quite a few years ago and have shot many, many rounds thru it.  Mostly my reloads which are semi-wad cutters.  Always functions and shoots great and it's pretty accurate.

+1.  Trigger was real heavy as was the pistol for it's envelope but it helped to soak up the recoil.  Mine had the Starvel Nickel finish.

Get yours to a good smith assuming you are keeping the pistol clean and the feedlips on your magazines are proper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Trigger was real heavy as was the pistol for it's envelope but it helped to soak up the recoil.  Mine had the Starvel Nickel finish.

Get yours to a good smith assuming you are keeping the pistol clean and the feedlips on your magazines are proper.

Yeah it is very heavy for its size but i like that.  Compared to a full size .40 glock, the recoil on the firestar is VERY manageable, more like a 9mm than a .40.  
My pistol is clean, in great shape, and mags are perfect.  

What type of ammo do you use?  Anyone with a m40 let me know, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
anyone have one of these in .40?  They seem really rare...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top