Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 4:40:30 PM EDT by bribowl]
I bought it in excellent condition (he said he only shot 1 box through it, and thats how it looked). Over the next 6 months after buying it, it functioned flawlessly (1000 rounds or so). I even named it my most reliable handgun. Lately though, its been just crap. Half of the time it cant make it through a 6 round clip MAGAZINE without jamming. Last time i took it out, it jamed, and while clearing the casing the slide release/takedown lever fell out!!!! Imagine needing it for self defense and it jams then falls apart... Anyways, anyone else have experience with them? feedback please. I really liked the gun and how it shoots (when it actually did shoot good) and i was farely accurate with it too. More so than my 1911....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:55:54 AM EDT
A friend of mine had one in 9mm, and it was a very reliable pistol. Even though it seemed a little heavy for the caliber, it never failed when we were at the range. I am pretty sure he still has it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am guessing you have given it a good cleaning after the 1000 rounds? Did you change ammo when the functioning problems started occuring?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:15 AM EDT
Don't know about the M40 but I have a Firestar M45 (45 cal) and it's a real nice pistol. Bought it new quite a few years ago and have shot many, many rounds thru it. Mostly my reloads which are semi-wad cutters. Always functions and shoots great and it's pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:29:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
A friend of mine had one in 9mm, and it was a very reliable pistol. Even though it seemed a little heavy for the caliber, it never failed when we were at the range. I am pretty sure he still has it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am guessing you have given it a good cleaning after the 1000 rounds? Did you change ammo when the functioning problems started occuring?

I clean my pistols and AR every time i shoot. Even if its just a couple clips... I have always shot PMC ammo through it and it worked fine. Now it doesnt. I have tried some winchester through it and that seemed worse HOWEVER i have been having problems with my s&w 40ve with the pmc ammo and it functions flawlessly with the winchester rounds.

JEEZ, shouldnt a quality pistol be able to cycle any standard round???? I could understand running into problems with hydrashocks and stuff but just regular rounds should be fine...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:59:10 AM EDT
Try getting new magazines. If that doesn't work take it to a gunsmith for diagnosis.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:08 AM EDT
Ive got about 3K through mine with no problems. For the price its been a good little gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:22:19 PM EDT
the problem is that you're trying to run a magazine fed weapon off of clips.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
the problem is that you're trying to run a magazine fed weapon off of clips.

yes..... im sure my failure to use the proper word is causing the problem. thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:39:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Moe-Ron:
Try getting new magazines. If that doesn't work take it to a gunsmith for diagnosis.

Cheers

I have 2 factory 6rnds and 1 9 round. Same problem with all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:21:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alpo:
Don't know about the M40 but I have a Firestar M45 (45 cal) and it's a real nice pistol. Bought it new quite a few years ago and have shot many, many rounds thru it. Mostly my reloads which are semi-wad cutters. Always functions and shoots great and it's pretty accurate.

+1. Trigger was real heavy as was the pistol for it's envelope but it helped to soak up the recoil. Mine had the Starvel Nickel finish.

Get yours to a good smith assuming you are keeping the pistol clean and the feedlips on your magazines are proper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:39:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AK_Mike:

Originally Posted By alpo:

+1. Trigger was real heavy as was the pistol for it's envelope but it helped to soak up the recoil. Mine had the Starvel Nickel finish.

Get yours to a good smith assuming you are keeping the pistol clean and the feedlips on your magazines are proper.

Yeah it is very heavy for its size but i like that. Compared to a full size .40 glock, the recoil on the firestar is VERY manageable, more like a 9mm than a .40.
My pistol is clean, in great shape, and mags are perfect.

What type of ammo do you use? Anyone with a m40 let me know, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:47:45 PM EDT
anyone have one of these in .40? They seem really rare...
Top Top