Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 2:50:38 PM EDT
Let me begin by saying that I am not familiar with the 1911 platform at all. I recently bought a USPf 9mm and I love it. However, I am looking to move up to a .45 and wanted some opinions on the pros and cons of a USP Tactical versus a comparably priced 1911 ($900). I know they are very different platforms so I would like to get some input.

Would a Springfield Arms 1911 fullsize be comparable in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy? I personally think the Springfield 1911 is a better looking gun than the USP but I obviously want to consider more important factors as well. I would go try one out except I haven't seen any in local gunshops around the city. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT by BushmasterGuy77]
I Just got A Tactical... I can't wait to get it to the range. If your gonna go with a 1911, you should check out the Nighthawk Custom GRP's but those are WAY over $900 (they go for $2000+) I want one!

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:20:46 PM EDT
The 1911 that will be better than a USP tactical is more than $900.00 IMHO. I have a couple of 1911s and a USPf .45. The HK is hard to beat for the money. If you wanted a 1911 that is of close competition to a USP .45 I would say a Kimber warrior or SA TRP. They will go for about 2-300.00 more than a USP tac.

All that being said, the guns operate with the same controls, in the same place other than the DA/SA fireing. (this is why I think I like both so much).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:29:59 PM EDT
Link

Reviewed the standard USP against my Springfield here.

For the money you'd spend on a Tactical, you could have a damn nice 1911.

STI Trojans seem to be going for ~$900, or you could do a Springfield Loaded and have a trigger job and other things you like done, and come out with about the same money.

Finger both of them and see which one you like. For me, it had a lot to do with the feel of the grip and the mag release. I still occasionally carry and use the USP, but the 1911 is my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:46:37 PM EDT by basketcase]
Sold my Tactical for a 1911 , both are good guns. But I just liked the 1911 more.

Have you thought about a Sig P220? Also a nice .45.

Oh yeah , here she is.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:31 PM EDT
For well under $900 you can buy a Colt like this
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BulletBait:
www.internetguncatalog.com/pics/36067.jpg

Not around here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 7:15:42 PM EDT by MrMurphy]
Buy whatever FEELS better. The USP Tactical is a pretty big grip. I love the looks and feel of 1911's and they are some fine guns BUT the USP if it fits you has a few pluses over the 1911. Larger capacity the USP holds 12 +1 and the USP will eat ANY and ALL ammo out of the box including +P and +P+. Yes you can get a 1911 to do that but only after some tuning and polishing. More fire control variants. The USP can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or in double action. In short I like the USP Tactical I also like 1911's. Whatever gun fits you BEST is the one for you. GL in your purchase and post pics when ya get it.

PS a minus of the USP is the cost of the MAGS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:25:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrMurphy:
Buy whatever FEELS better. The USP Tactical is a pretty big grip. I love the looks and feel of 1911's and they are some fine guns BUT the USP if it fits you has a few pluses over the 1911. Larger capacity the USP holds 12 +1 and the USP will eat ANY and ALL ammo out of the box including +P and +P+. Yes you can get a 1911 to do that but only after some tuning and polishing. More fire control variants. The USP can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or in double action. In short I like the USP Tactical I also like 1911's. Whatever gun fits you BEST is the one for you. GL in your purchase and post pics when ya get it.

PS a minus of the USP is the cost of the MAGS.

+1

the 1911 is also a tad easier to customize and find parts and mags
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:37:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Originally Posted By BulletBait:
www.internetguncatalog.com/pics/36067.jpg

Not around here.

Got that pic and price off GunBroker
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:04:37 PM EDT
For what it is worth, I like my 1911s better. The drawback to the 1911 is they sometimes need a little tuning or some parts added to make it what you want. My Kimber Warrior is getting the sights lined up at the factory as I type.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:41 PM EDT
I would get a HK USP. It is a newer design gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:16:08 PM EDT
You already have a USP and like it. Stick with HK's. You're not going to find a 1911 as well rounded as a USP Tactical for 900 bucks.

Match grade accuracy+ dead nuts reliability is a tough combination to beat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:12:53 AM EDT
Get the HK.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:25:18 AM EDT
Go with the 1911. The HK is too big to carry, and not particularly suited to competition. The only reason I'd get a Tactical is if I wanted to buy a can for it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:55 AM EDT
1911, easy decision
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:19:15 AM EDT
I'm not sure if you can beat a Tac for $900. Maybe a SA Operator??? That said the Tac holds four more rounds and, IMHO, has an edge in reliability.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Go with the 1911. The HK is too big to carry, and not particularly suited to competition. The only reason I'd get a Tactical is if I wanted to buy a can for it.

That's the main reason I bought mine. I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used USP 45c though. And once I'm done dumping money into NFA toys, if ever, I do plan on picking up a 1911 or two. Or three. I'd really like to pick up a nice WWII era (or earlier) piece, and maybe a modern custom.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:42:18 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies thus far. I really like both:

The Kimber Warrior

and

The Springfield Custom Loaded Fullsize

On the springfield website it mentions that the fullsize already comes with hundreds of dollars of added features. What are these features and is this gun comparable to the Warrior? Where does the USP Tac fit within these 2?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:48:26 AM EDT
i own an ed brown and a hk-tac

i carry the ed brown, but if I have to go to war tomorrow I'd take the Tactical.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:25 AM EDT
A USP .45 is on my list (and I have a 1911). Why not?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:50:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sysfailur:
A USP .45 is on my list (and I have a 1911). Why not?

Ahhhh.. He has achieved an Arfcom milestone - understanding the need for "Both" (tm).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
If you like your USP, stick with what you know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:09:23 PM EDT
After watching all of the 1911 organisms, I'd suggest you go try the dark side with a Glock 21. I have nothing against the 1911, I've competed with one, carried one but since I've switched to the G21, I wouldn't go back. For the cost of either the USP or a high end 1911, you can really trick out a Glock and have lots of coin left for ammo. Big downside on HK is cost of extra mags lack of variety of holsters for competition and cost. Plus side of 1911, everybody makes doodads for them and mags are relatively cheap.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here with the JMB crowd, but just want to make the point to try other stuff out in an unprejudiced manner before spending lots of money. Money spent renting different guns or time spent shooting someone else's gun before you buy is a very wise decision. If you've tried them all and still like a 1911vHKvGlock, then more power to you. Take your choice and learn to shoot it well and be safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:45:34 PM EDT
Where did the author ever state he was interested in competition?

Yes, 1911 may have the edge there.

Anywhere else, the USP has the edge, except for concealment. But he never mentioned that either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:58:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKCapCane:

The Kimber Warrior

and

On the springfield website it mentions that the fullsize already comes with hundreds of dollars of added features. What are these features and is this gun comparable to the Warrior? Where does the USP Tac fit within these 2?

The hundreds of dollars of added features sales pitch is if you bought a basic WWII type 1911 and sent it to a smith to have all the extras added.
Take a hard look at what those options are and if you would really spend the coin to have them added.
There are a lot of different models out there. Take your time and think about what you truely want.

I've owned both a Springer OD Micro Loaded and a Kimber Elite Carry, a custom shop gun (series 1).
Both were reliable, the Springfield was all most as nice as the Kimber for a lot less money YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:34:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HKCapCane:

The Kimber Warrior

and

You're really comparing apples to apples to oranges. Given the choice between the Kimber and the Springfield personally I'd go with Springfield. For no particular reason except I find Kimbers pricey. Thats apples to apples. The USP Tactical doesn't fit anywhere with those 2. It is a gun unto itself. As I stated in my previous post hold them all and buy whatever FEELS best to you. If you can find a gun range that has the models you want to compare for rent then do that and shoot them all. Find what FITS you best and buy it. With those 3 choices you CAN NOT MAKE A BAD choice. Once again GL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:58:24 PM EDT
The 1911 carries much better, but the HK tactical is soo much fun with the suppressor.
The HK tactical's single action pull has a nicer feel with the match trigger than the regular USP. Mine trips the scale at 3.75 pounds with no overtravel thanks to the trigger stop. The double action pull is horrible.
Out of these 2, the 1911 groups significantly tighter.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:01:19 AM EDT
I'd take the USP Tactical over any comprably priced 1911.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:14:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 5:16:04 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
I'd take the 1911 hands down, but given your handle, sounds like the HK would be your choice

Also, I'm a fan of standardizing on one platform. Jack of All Trades = Master of None.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:36:33 PM EDT
I love my Tac. It's a reliable accurate gun. I wouldn't trade it for any 1911. That being said, everbody should have a 1911 in their collection. You might have to find a way to buy both.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:40:37 PM EDT
i bought a hk tactical about three years ago. never thought id buy another similiar pistol. i got a sa micro for ccw, and love it. i am now getting a sa mc operator. i will also get a hk45 if they make a compact version. they are all great pistols, cant go wrong with any of the sa or hk.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:32:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By infsqdldr:
i bought a hk tactical about three years ago. never thought id buy another similiar pistol. i got a sa micro for ccw, and love it. i am now getting a sa mc operator. i will also get a hk45 if they make a compact version. they are all great pistols, cant go wrong with any of the sa or hk.

They do, its a 8+1 IIRC HK USPc 45

The tactical is not to hard to conceal for carry. I do it with a regular USP 45 w/o the threaded muzzel. Size does matter, a tac or usp45 is not for those with small hands, and those with small bodies find a big gun like a usp hard to conceal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:39:22 PM EDT
I think this is a subjective thing - I just sold an HK .45 Tactical and 9mm SD, and boughjt a Kimber TLE II RL and Springfield TRP Operator. They are all great guns, cost within $300 of each other (if you shop around). They are all quality products, feel great in the hand, and are very accurate. I haven't noticed any one having an edge wrt reliability.

I'd go with the HK Tactical if I had to have a suppressor. Other than that....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 5:19:08 AM EDT by clasky]
There's something that just "feels good" about a 1911. I have a Glock 17 and a Kimber Warrior (with actual Novak Sights) and I love them both, but the 1911 just feels really natural. When you pick up a 1911, you know you are picking up a Gun. The weight is very nice, the action is crisp and it is just plain beautiful! Stepping into the .45 arena; I would go with the 1911. The Kimber Warrior or TLE/RL and the Springfield Operator are all nice choices. I picked the Warrior because of the internal extractor (that's a topic for another thread). It has the integrated rail for accessories and a lanyard loop for, well; a lanyard. Cocking serations at the front of the slide are great too!

Then again, my next handgun will be an HK USP Tactical .45. You will soon find out that having both is better than choosing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:

Originally Posted By infsqdldr:

They do, its a 8+1 IIRC HK USPc 45

The tactical is not to hard to conceal for carry. I do it with a regular USP 45 w/o the threaded muzzel. Size does matter, a tac or usp45 is not for those with small hands, and those with small bodies find a big gun like a usp hard to conceal.

the current compact does not have ambi safety, ambi slide lock, threaded slide matched factory barrel, or the new grip of the p2000. that is why i am waiting for the hk45.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:26:34 PM EDT
Man, I hope the HK45 gets here soon!
Top Top