Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 9:02:22 PM EDT
don't know much about either, but wanted one for years.
Questions-
does the "round in chamber indicator bar" keep the III from fitting in a holster?

what other kali additions to the III makes the II a better choice?

not knowing either, am i not going to care about the differences?

thanks for your input...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The Mk III moves the mag release to a more conventional position. The RUMOR, and I qualify RUMOR, I heard from my buddy that owns a gunshop is that the projecting pin the sits against the rim to indicate that it is loaded has been responsible for unexpectedly discharging rounds being chambered.

I cannot confirm this as yet and must stress that is currently just a RUMOR. I admire Ruger .22's and will probably buy one soon. I am not trashing Ruger and I own many of them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The very first MKIIIs did have a problem that a hit on the chamber loaded indicator (such as droping to pistol on it's side) could fire the gun. Ruger called those who received the guns and had them send them back for modification or sent the parts to fix it. I actually installed the new parts on the one my store had in at the time. So new ones are fine.
The mag release change also changes the mag so old mags don't work (if you have more than one, like me). Also there is a built in key lock and a magazine disconnect. The magazine disconnect makes the gun even quirkier to disassemble.
Personally I like the MKII better but the MKIIIs are fine too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Try and buy a MKII if you can.  I dislike the loaded chamber indicator, it looks like a great place to accumilate dirt and grime and bind in a holster.  Bottom magazine catch is perfectly fine, you will never miss a mag button.  MKII's can be had for very reasonable prices.

I have ran about 80,000 rounds thru a competition model.  It has broken an extractor and firing pin rebound spring, they live forever with proper care.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try and buy a MKII if you can.  I dislike the loaded chamber indicator, it looks like a great place to accumilate dirt and grime and bind in a holster.  Bottom magazine catch is perfectly fine, you will never miss a mag button.  MKII's can be had for very reasonable prices.

I have ran about 80,000 rounds thru a competition model.  It has broken an extractor and firing pin rebound spring, they live forever with proper care.

My dad bought his Ruger MkI (or MkII, I can't remember which) in the 50's and owned it until his death in the 90's.  I bought mine a couple years ago and fully expect it to last for my natural life.  Or a million rounds, whichever comes first.

I like the relative simplicity of the MKII vs the MKIII and see no reason to have a loaded chamber indicator.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
When they announced the MK III, I immidiately started looking for a 5 inch bull barreled stainless MKII.  Found a like new one at a pawn shop for 210 bucks.

I didn't want all those changes on mine.

patsue
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
When they announced the MK III, I immidiately started looking for a 5 inch bull barreled stainless MKII.  Found a like new one with red ruger eagle grips at a pawn shop for 210 bucks.

I didn't want all those changes on mine.

patsue
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
oopsie
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a used 5 1/2" bull barrel MK II when the MK IIIs came out. I have absolutely no need for more hand holding from Ruger or any other gun maker. I'm tired of being treated like a child. The MKII did not need "improvement", as far as I'm concerned. I'm still pissed off at Remington for that stupid bolt lock they put on all their non-police model 700s for a few years.

GL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top