Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:58:25 AM EDT
New Sig Trailsides for $299 in the CDNN catalog.
Are they any good compare to the Ruger Mark II or III?
I am mainly interested in feeding problems.  I have a S&W 22A, and it's not that great.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The Sig will most likely be more accurate than the Ruger.  The Ruger will be tougher.  Whatever is more important to you, let that be the deciding factor.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the Sig!!  There will be no comparison in accuracy!  As far as being tougher...hogwash.  A .22 is not meant to be or built like a combat weapon.  The Sig is actually manufactured by Hammerli for Sig.  Hammerli make s most of the .22's that Olymians and such.  You will not be disappointed with it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buy the Sig!!  There will be no comparison in accuracy!  As far as being tougher...hogwash.  A .22 is not meant to be or built like a combat weapon.  The Sig is actually manufactured by Hammerli for Sig.  Hammerli make s most of the .22's that Olymians and such.  You will not be disappointed with it!

Sorry Chinook, it's not "hogwash".  An all steel tank of a gun like the Ruger is going to be tougher than an aluminum counterpart.  Just because a .22 is "not meant to be or built like a combat weapon" doesn't mean it CAN'T be.  The Ruger is.  I didn't make my post to sway him either way.  The Sig will be more accurate, the Ruger will be tougher.  You also have to take into consideration what he wants to do with it.  If I were looking for a plinker/camping (ie..carried in the woods, in boats, etc) I would lean towards the Ruger MkII.  If I were going to spend most of the time trying to get itty bitty groups with it, then Sig all the way.

Another thing to consider is that there is talk that Sig will discontinue the Trailside.  If that's that case parts availability might become an issue (but unlikely).

I would get the Trailside from CDNN.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
For that price.... get both.

One can never have too many .22s
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get the Sig, do not shoot the hyper-velocity ammo in it. They will break. Use Mini-Mag or standard velocity stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you get the Sig, do not shoot the hyper-velocity ammo in it. They will break. Use Mini-Mag or standard velocity stuff.

There's a couple threads on rimfirecentral about that.  Apparently many are having issues with cracks forming in the trigger guard.  A guy over there has a pretty quick and simple fix for it though.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the SIG Trailsides had enough problems that SIG dropped them from their product
line.  That may tell you something about the guns.  Only 22RF they have now is the Mosquito.

I would rather get a Ruger MKII in choosing between the two.  (The Ruger MKIII doesn't seem like much of an improvment, in fact the stupid loaded indicator "flag" is enough of a turn off for me.)

The Ruger MKII is a good, solid pistol that functions from the get go and keeps doing it
brick after brick of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
 I own both , and the Mklll is by far the better pistol.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned both, and I still own the Sig.  The Sig is picky about ammo, the Ruger has a shitty trigger pull.  You can improve the trigger pull on the Ruger if you are willing to spend a lot(!) on replacement parts.  

The Sig needs to be cleaned to function well, the Ruger was more tolerant of grit.  That is good, as Ruger's are a drag to disassemble for cleaning.

The mags on the Sig are polymer, but they are easy to load.  The mags on the Ruger are steel, but they are thumb busters.  

Frankly, both are OK but a friend's Buckmark is as accurate as the Sig and has as good of a trigger pull- plus it is not as ammo sensitive.

So to break ARFCOM tradition- buy neither.  Buy a buckmark.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
- buy neither.  Buy a buckmark.

+1.  I forgot to add that I my Buckmark is my fave of all my .22's
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Buckmark and CZ Kadet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top