Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT
I know that shooting with both eyes open is the preferred method, however after years of trying it I have found it impossible. I have no dominant eye. It has been said that anyone can learn to shoot with both eyes open- has anyone here either taught or learned themselves to shoot in this manner when the shooter has no dominant eye? Any tricks I haven't heard of? I don't want to give up on this, but don't really see an alternative.

Thanks,
53Vortec
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a laser.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen guys use a blinder on one lens of their glasses, usually on the non-dominant arm side.  Actually several guys at our bullseye competetions.    They look funny but beat me eevry freaking time!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
When they taught me, they covered up the left lens of my glasses with masking tape.  Took more and more tape off as I got used to it, until I could shoot without it.  I am right eye dominant, however.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I've found that it's easier to shoot iron sights on a handgun w/ both eyes open after shooting a few rounds through a gun with a red dot (or holosight).  Assuming you can shoot those types of guns with both eyes open, the habit should still stay with you for a little while once you transfer to irons.

Also, tricks such as putting a piece of opaque scotch tape on your non-dom eye also help.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, tricks such as putting a piece of opaque scotch tape on your non-dom eye also help.

Ouch!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
53vortec: It can be done to teach your brain to keep both eyes open, but it takes a bit of work.

BTW: For target shooting shutting down one eye is not a big deal, but in other desciplines of shooting you've lost half of your eyesight.  Check this out, see how much you see with both eyes open, and then cover one eye, see the huge difference?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
53vortec: It can be done to teach your brain to keep both eyes open, but it takes a bit of work.

BTW: For target shooting shutting down one eye is not a big deal, but in other desciplines of shooting you've lost half of your eyesight.  Check this out, see how much you see with both eyes open, and then cover one eye, see the huge difference?

I'm familiar with the benefits of shooting with both eyes open; most of my shooting is defense oriented. I'm just wondering how it can be learned by someone who consistentley sees two sight pictures or targets (depending on the plane of focus). I've been working on it for years, even had some instruction, to no avail.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've found that it's easier to shoot iron sights on a handgun w/ both eyes open after shooting a few rounds through a gun with a red dot (or holosight).  Assuming you can shoot those types of guns with both eyes open, the habit should still stay with you for a little while once you transfer to irons.

I was about to say the same thing. I noticed that after shooting my AR with an eotech, it became much easier to get in the habit of shooting a handgun with both eyes open. Now it's just the normal way to go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot pistol with both eyes open , its easier for me to do with a really pissed off look on my face.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I was taught in High Power competitions that squinching up one eye effects your cheek weld, and thus your entire stance/position.
Of course that's with peep sights, which are easier 2-eyed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
LE's are trained to keep both eyes open when the shoot, and for the most part you have to train yourself to do it. Combat pistol shooting is a whole different ball game when compared with target shooting; you really aren't taking the time to get the perfect sight picture. After training in the correct stances and methods, hitting your target eventually becomes second nature without even giving much thought to the process. Like most things there's no easy way, just lots of practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top