Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:28:05 PM EDT
Hello one and all,

Been seeing a lot of Walther P-1's for sale at several "surplus" web-sites, and can pick one up for $249, my cost. Comes with holster and two mags.

It's my understanding that these are a "alloy framed" P-38's -- correct ? ?

Anyone have any experience with the P-1 ? ? Price seems pretty cheap.

Thanks ! ! !
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
P-1 has alloy frame and is slightly lighter than P-38.

The pull is a bit gritty (can be cured) but it's a great collectable gun. Get it now while it's available plentifully and at bargain prices
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:02:07 PM EDT
They also seem to be in pretty good shape. The one I bought is VERY nice, and shoots great. It's alot of fun, and you aren't shooting an old war worn piece of history either. I think these guns are far and away worth more than they are going for. The time to buy one is now. Every once in a while you can say, "I remember when those things went for $250!". This is one of those times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:42:58 AM EDT
just look at east german makarovs.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:01:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Graziani:

The pull is a bit gritty (can be cured) but it's a great collectable gun. Get it now while it's available plentifully and at bargain prices

+1 on that!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:12:59 PM EDT
Actually the P1 is just the POST-WAR aluminum P-38 as marked for use by the West German military.

After WWII, Walther did a slight re-design of the steel P-38's firing pin and safety assembly. At the same time the frame material was changed to aluminum.

Walther sold the aluminum P-38 to the West German police, foreign military contracts, and as a commercial gun all over the world.

The EXACT same gun was simply stamped with German military P-1 marks.

This is similar to the GI 1911 pistol, and the Colt commercial Government Model. Same gun, just one marked for the military, one for commercial sales.

The P-38/P1 makes a great shooter.
Some "watch-outs":

NO HOT AMMO.
These were designed to work with standard 124 grain, full metal jacket ammo.
Hot ammo can cause battering and cracked slides and frames.
You can shoot SOME standard load hollow point defense ammo if you're willing to experiment to find a brand/type that will work reliably.

NO "extra power" recoil springs.
If you suspect the springs are weak, replace them with factory spec.
The extra power springs can cause frame cracking on the FORWARD stroke of the slide.
Every cracked or damage P-38/P1 I've seen was either a well-used badly worn gun, OR was being shot with hot ammo and/or extra power springs.

When you get the gun, field strip it AND the magazines and give everything a good cleaning and lube.
MOST problems are due to a dirty or dried out gun or magazine.

DO NOT remove the top cover on the slide.
These are difficult to replace, and they are easily damaged or mis-installed. These have a bad habit of blowing off, loosing tiny parts out of the slide if sprung or mis-assembled.

DO NOT try to move the rear sight.
The top cover and the rear sight interlock and hold each other in place.
The rear sight DOES NOT move. Try to sight in the gun by driving the rear sight and you can do MAJOR damage. All sight adjustments are done to the front sight.

The Walther P-38/P1 was the top-of-the-line gun made by Europe's premium gun maker.
As such, they are WAY under priced, and are todays "best buy" in a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
The P-1's on the market today are in great shape and these are good shooters, but I wouldn't call them "collectible". At least not particularly.

Even original P-38's from WWII can be bought for only about $100.00 more. At least, that's what I paid for my WWII ac-44 about 3 years ago.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:00:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By theBUBBAMANcan:
The P-1's on the market today are in great shape and these are good shooters, but I wouldn't call them "collectible". At least not particularly.

Even original P-38's from WWII can be bought for only about $100.00 more. At least, that's what I paid for my WWII ac-44 about 3 years ago.

[/quote

And some can be bought for about 1,200 or more up to about 3,500!

Just a matter of no numbers or just the right ones!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:17:38 PM EDT
Well folks . . .

Got me a P-1 ! ! Well . . it's my second, bought a "shooter's grade" a couple of years ago.

Came in some form of a "military" cardboard box, along with two new mags, (still packed in anti-rust paper and then sealed in plastic) pistol and a worn holster.

Pistol slide is dated 11/79 and other than a very slight scratch on the right grip appears to be "new" in every way.

Are these pistols "refirbs" ? ? Reason I ask is that I saw a couple (dealer at the toy show had approx 25-30 pistols and you could pick-thru them to get the one you want) with "x-ed out" and re-stamped slides. Also in the box there is some form of a "document" that's dated 1992.

Anyway - - - the pistol is "mint", so it just might end up being a safe-queen -- I can always take my "shooter's grade" to the local range.

Paid a total of $270 OTD -- pretty good bargin for a new 9mm pistol ! ! !

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:46:00 AM EDT
I got mine a couple years ago for $220 as just a "what the hell" type purchase. One of my best scores. Love that pistol. Mine is an 11/63.

The "watch out" list above is a good list.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:59:20 AM EDT
I was told not to trust the decocker
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:59:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:

Yeah, but are you going to use it as a carry gun?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:

Originally Posted By twonami:

Yeah, but are you going to use it as a carry gun?

Carry gun?
I couldn't hit a 12"X12" target at 15 yards. My snubbie was way the hell better
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Graziani:

+1

I bought mine as a companion piece for my Lugers. Nice little shooter for teaching someone how to run a 9mm.
Top Top