Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:38 PM EDT
Seen a Berretta 3032 Tomcat in the paper for sale for $250. Comes with a black Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster.

Want something for a "possible CCW" and maybe to teach someone to shoot. If worse comes to worse, home/self defence (only if my AR fails).
Anybody have one? Good price?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:48:42 PM EDT
come on.....theres gotta be someone that can help.......
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 8:00:13 AM EDT by Shipwreck]
I would only buy one new. To be honest, that's almost the price of a new one in my area in black.

The early ones had problems when they first came out. The newer ones are better. I would only get a new one to avoid this problem. You will not be covered under warranty otherwise.

I like the stainless version - the slide is a little thicker

Otherwise, great gun.

But, be aware that while it is a great CCW gun, it is not a gun to teach someone to shoot. It is too small. Small guns like that may be accurate at a reasonable distance, and are perfect for CCW. But, they are not usually that great of a range gun - ESPECIALLY to teach someone new to shoot.

U need a larger gun to teach someone - prefereably a full size 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
well I guess not how to shoot, but more to "get the feel" of thr recoil.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 11:33:51 AM EDT by Shipwreck]
Well, if U want a CCW weapon, it is great. I do not believe it is a good gun to introduce someone to shooting, though. Those tiny guns are usually a blowback design - so they will have more recoil than you would think. Plus, their small size magnifies this.

Most 380s (yes, I know it is a 32 we are talking about) have more recoil than a 9mm, because most are a blowback design. There is no extractor like the 9mms guns. Most people would assume the smaller caliber has less recoil, but it isn't always true.

I am thinking of even small 9mms - like a Glock 26 or Walther compact. I do not think any of these tiny guns, while terrific for concealed carry, are good to introduce someone to pistol shooting - not if you really expect to the person to like it and get into it further. Chances are, this will make them less interested.

I think the Berettah Cheetah 380 would be a decent, smaller gun, to introduce someone into pistol shooting. It is a blowback design, but is still a fair size. A Ruger 9mm semi auto, a CZ or a Taurus 92 would be great, fairly inexpensive, 9mm pistols that would be great learning tools that do not cost too much money. Of course, these are larger guns, though.

U can get a Ruger for around $300 - not much more than that Beretta Tomcat.

Getting back to only the Tomcat, though. As I said, I would not buy a used one, personally. If you MUST, shoot it first before purchasing - ask him to meet at a local range - be prepared to cover the ammo cost and your fee, and insist that you get to try it first.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:10:36 PM EDT
yeah I woulda never thought about that blowback causing more recoil. Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to think about a little bit more. Thanks again.
Top Top