Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
What is meant by an "unsuported chamber"? Should a person avoid heavy loads in these pistols? and is it OK to reload for these pistols?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:49:32 AM EDT
Unsupported chamber is where the cartrige brass does not have a full piece of metal around it. This could cause the case to rupture and cause a explosion out the slide and cause damage to the shooter and gun.

I would not buy an unsupported chamber gun and if I did I would only use factory ammo and not reloads where the brass has already been used. Just my thoughs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:50:40 AM EDT
Its a chamber which does not fully enclose the case of the round (except the back :-).
If you can see any of the sidewall of the cartridge, its an unsupported chamber.

Yes - avoid heavy loads in these guns.

Handloading is perfectly ok, as long as you stick to loads which do not generate pressures greater than commercial loads for that same gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:13:26 AM EDT
I keep hearing that Glocks have unsupported chambers.

What others?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:47:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sydney7629:
I keep hearing that Glocks have unsupported chambers.

What others?

Quite a few guns have this. Glocks are not the only one in that circle. Unless it was .40 cal, or I was using +P ammo, I wouldn't sweat it. 9mm & .45acp have no issues at all in either version barrel.

Top Top