Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:52:37 PM EDT
Flame away people.  

Im about to get another 45.  I love Glocks, the large frames fit me, and they are cheap.  However, I want to do more IPSC and apparently  1911s still dominate.  Why is this so??  

Also, several of the $2000 and $4000 custom 1911's Ive seen jammed/malf/FTE/FTF etc.  To me this is UNACCEPTABLE.

What 1911's are out there that offer high capacity AND reliablitity.  Ive heard a few good things about the Kimber TenII, I have heard a few bad things about Para Ordnance, I havent heard anything about STI or SVI stock guns, but they sure are expensive.  Anything else I am missing.  I am really behind on 1911's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]

To actually answer your question, my TRP has been 100% reliable, both with quality reloads and "top-shelf" factory ammo.  My two Glocks aren't anywhere near that reliable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen 1911s jam too...and I have had G21s jam on me as well. I prefer the 1911 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is it 1911's are reputed to be so much faster?  Is it all in the trigger?  I like they way i can wrap my left hand/fingers around the front of the trigger guard with glocks.  It gives me more control for follow up shots.  I havent shot 1911's several thousand rounds ago (back when i was very much so a novice) so my recollections of shooting them was that of not being able to keep my left hand wrapped around the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you like driving a Toyota or a Lexus. It's that simple....next thread.

In all honesty this will turn out to be another 12 page thread about how 1911's don't  function and how Glock's kaboom.

Now, to sit back and watch the fight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why is it 1911's are reputed to be so much faster?  Is it all in the trigger?  I like they way i can wrap my left hand/fingers around the front of the trigger guard with glocks.  It gives me more control for follow up shots.  I havent shot 1911's several thousand rounds ago (back when i was very much so a novice) so my recollections of shooting them was that of not being able to keep my left hand wrapped around the trigger guard.

There are other (probably better) ways to control recoil. And yeah, mostly its the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody who starts a 1911 vs. Glock thread or says "Flame away people" in the first line of his post should be hung.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
to me, the 1911 fits my hand better, the trigger is a hell of a lot better, it points better, and it feels better

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is that pic of "Ah not this $hit again...."

In say 65 years, if any of the 1st to 3rd generation Glocks are around, lets have this talk again....

(Hey, personally, I like the Para LDA's.....best of both I say....)

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Go Glock.  I have seen too many malfunctions with all types of 1911's (including the Kimber TenII) to trust any of them fully.  Read This:

I had a Kimber Custom II, and it never malfunctioned; I sold it.  I will NEVER part with my G21.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay.... another "view".....

All weopons will at one point or another, will malfunction.  Some more so then others.  I suppose, the trick is to choose one that has a very good history..... the 1911 design has been around for YEARS.  Glock has proved their reliability, as has countless others.

I would imagine, the "key" is knowing how to handle a malfuction when it happens when YOUR LIFE IS ON THE LINE!  Training helps......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]

I like they way i can wrap my left hand/fingers around the front of the trigger guard with glocks. It gives me more control for follow up shots.

No grand master IPSC shooters hold the gun this way.

Do you know something they don't?

You actually have LESS control holding the gun this way.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In say 65 years, if any of the 1st to 3rd generation Glocks are around, lets have this talk again....

Are you serious? Perhaps you havent noticed but most gun designs are going to lighter weight polymers and plastics....I think you meant to say...

In say 65 years, if any of the 1911'sare around, lets have this talk again....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anybody who starts a 1911 vs. Glock thread or says "Flame away people" in the first line of his post should be hung. hanged

I agree
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious? Perhaps you havent noticed but most gun designs are going to lighter weight polymers and plastics....I think you meant to say...

In say 65 years, if any of the 1911'sare around, lets have this talk again....

What you should really say is it doesn't matter either way.  I have my great uncle's 1911 which he carried in Europe in WWI, and again in WWII, and Korea when he retired.  Other than being reparked at some point it is as it was and shoots damn good when my eyes are working.  

The Glock is just as good.  Why split hairs?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Oops, wrong picture......

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Get what you like, and that you feel meets the needs of the roll you intend to use the pistol in.  

Maybe this isn't Fords vs. Cheveys.  Maybe more of a Pick-up vs. Sedan sort of a thing.  some things just work better for certain aplications.  In which case you should buy both.

I may not want to run a Cadillac through the woods or boggin.  And I may not want to take Grandma and Grandpa to lunch on a Sunday after Church in an ol' International.  (for those of you who can remember Internationals).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
real americans have a 1911

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Get what you like, and that you feel meets the needs of the roll you intend to use the pistol in.  

Maybe this isn't Fords vs. Cheveys.  Maybe more of a Pick-up vs. Sedan sort of a thing.  some things just work better for certain aplications.  In which case you should buy both.

I may not want to run a Cadillac through the woods or boggin.  And I may not want to take Grandma and Grandpa to lunch on a Sunday after Church in an ol' International.  (for those of you who can remember Internationals).

You mean the tractor?  

(At least you didn't say Studebaker.....) (spelling sucks)

edit-
btw-- I'm not perticular on what I shoot/carry.  Considering I own Colt 1911s (no 45's), Para's, Sig's (no P220's in 45- yet), Glock's and yes, even Smith (hey, it's a model 41 22LR.....).  

<------- is quite aware of the move to light wight plastics/polymers.  I own more Cavlry Arms Cav-15's then I do standard aluminum lowers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Did mean the Scouts/Scout II's, but yeah, made by the same folks that made the tractors.  I was typing fast and didn't proof read, so sorry to Chevy and Caddy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did mean the Scouts/Scout II's, but yeah, made by the same folks that made the tractors.  I was typing fast and didn't proof read, so sorry to Chevy and Caddy.

No...my spelling sucks...I can't spell Studebaker (or is that how it was spell?)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I like they way i can wrap my left hand/fingers around the front of the trigger guard with glocks. It gives me more control for follow up shots.

No grand master IPSC shooters hold the gun this way.

Do you know something they don't?

You actually have LESS control holding the gun this way.

How do they hold 1911's/ glocks then?  With non-glocks I have always just had the left hand wrapped around and in front of the right
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I never tried shooting "gangsta style," nor will I ever.  Though I hope and pray that the idiot that pulls a gun on me practices "gangsta-style" shooting.  Hell, I could probably win that fight with a damn .22 snub.  No control, no aim, no....well........anything near the way a gun was designed to shoot.  That said...........just cuz a glock is a popular movie gangsta gun, doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine piece of piece.  Not to say that 1911's are crap eithor.  They are both good guns, and fill a niche.  Please put yourself in the proper niche, instead of expecting a piece of steel to be able to figure out which niche you are in.  

This is why there are different type of guns folks...........different people, different hands, different recoil tolerances, different caliber desires, different capacity needs, different weight needs, different size requirements.........you see my drift........if we all like the same gun.......there would only be one.  There isn't.  If you are argueing a frigging 1911 vs. Glock you are dumber than someone trying to argue with a fencepost.  At least the fencepost doesn't have an opinion based upon what is better for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top