Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:25:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 8:25:27 AM EDT by _disconnector_]
Hi all,

I have a Combat Commander in nickel that I want to clean up.

The nickel is a little rough, but not scratched through or chipped. I am wondering how you guys would recommend getting it back to 100%.

I've heard of using beadblasting . . . I have a blaster, but I am loath to experiment on my beloved Colt. What grit and pressure do you guys recommend?

I have also heard of this being done with a Dremel and a wire brush . . . has anyone seen this?

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:33:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 8:36:58 AM EDT by Hellhound]
I have a SN Colt Combat Commander, the finish was a little "yellow".

My 'smith used a wire brush and gave it a little "buff" and I was very pleased at the result.

I had inquired years ago about having it refinished to blue or park, and everyone told me to keep it stock.

I would contact Tripp Research and see what they recommend, especially if you have chips and dings, which you don't have.

IIRC, to remove the SN would entail a chemical bath which was kinda expensive and not everyone did that type of work.

Good luck and post pics if ya got 'em--before and after!!

ETA: I added a drop-in Wilson SS beavertail, McMormick rear sight, and had a new front sight staked on. Also went with black grip screws and those damned Uncle Mike's rubber grips which I need to get rid of and get some micarta (black) grips.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
Which McCormick sight did you get? New sights are next on the list

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
I got this one...

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=5509

It does not require any alteration to the slide, no machining or refinishing either.

Can be installed with simple hand tools, blue loc-tite would be a plus.

I was able to check one out on a gun before I bought it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:52:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:02:41 PM EDT
I tried the Flitz and it did nothing for my SN Colt.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
Try Weenol (spelling?)...this stuff works great. My dad uses it on his 32'Ford Highboy.
Top Top