Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 8:25:13 AM EDT
Hi all,

I have a Combat Commander in nickel that I want to clean up.

The nickel is a little rough, but not scratched through or chipped.  I am wondering how you guys would recommend getting it back to 100%.

I've heard of using beadblasting . . . I have a blaster, but I am loath to experiment on my beloved Colt.  What grit and pressure do you guys recommend?

I have also heard of this being done with a Dremel and a wire brush . . . has anyone seen this?

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a SN Colt Combat Commander, the finish was a little "yellow".

My 'smith used a wire brush and gave it a little "buff" and I was very pleased at the result.

I had inquired years ago about having it refinished to blue or park, and everyone told me to keep it stock.

I would contact Tripp Research and see what they recommend, especially if you have chips and dings, which you don't have.

IIRC, to remove the SN would entail a chemical bath which was kinda expensive and not everyone did that type of work.

Good luck and post pics if ya got 'em--before and after!!  

ETA:  I added a drop-in Wilson SS beavertail, McMormick rear sight, and had a new front sight staked on.  Also went with black grip screws and those damned Uncle Mike's rubber grips which I need to get rid of and get some micarta (black) grips.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Which McCormick sight did you get?  New sights are next on the list

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I got this one...

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=5509

It does not require any alteration to the slide, no machining or refinishing either.

Can be installed with simple hand tools, blue loc-tite would be a plus.

I was able to check one out on a gun before I bought it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the Flitz and it did nothing for my SN Colt.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Try Weenol (spelling?)...this stuff works great.  My dad uses it on his 32'Ford Highboy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top