Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 7:18:29 PM EDT
XD owners, sell me on their good points, if there are any. Fill me in on them. They seem pretty affordable and I may add one to the collection.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
yes--if you dont like glocks or want a grip safety

if you get one, i would get the stainless slide

my buddy's 9mm XD is nice, shoots 100% so far (that i know of) and i like the trigger and grip a lot better than the glock

i just dont like the fact that they dont have a 45acp or cheap mags thanks AROKIE

looks like an XD is another option for me!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes

my buddy's 9mm XD is nice, shoots 100% so far (that i know of) and i like the trigger and grip a lot better than the glock

i just dont like the fact that they dont have a 45acp or cheap mags

they do have a .45 now!!! go look www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an XD-40 here's my take:

Pro's:
Nice grip angle
Good mags
Comfortable trigger

Con's:
Wears like it was painted with a black marker
Rust speckles on grip saftey and upper slide
Have had light strikes on various ammo (maybe 5-6 out of 400+ rnds)
By far most inaccurate handgun I own (KP-89, SA 1911A1, G21, Sig 228, Bersa .380, 686, 19,)

Would I buy it again?  No, I should have bought the CZ75, but thats been my own experience.  By what I've read, I seem to be in the minority.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

i just dont like the fact that they dont have a 45acp or cheap mags

they do have a .45 now!!! go look www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml

I think I'll wait until it gets some time in the street before I get too excited.  How does it compare to my Glock 21?

Glock 21:

Length  7.59"
Barrel  4.60"
Weight  29.38 oz.
Capacity  13 + 1 (+2 extensions available)

XD 45ACP:

Length  7.25"
Barrel  4.04"
Weight  30.00 oz.
Capacity  13 + 1  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put about 2000rds through my XD subcompact 9 now.  So far there has been zero malfunctions with CCI Blazer, Winchester White Box, S&B, UMC, Winchester Ranger SXT (or is it just XT?), and a couple of other ammo brands.  It is my carry gun now.  It is extremely accurate especially considering the short 3.5" barrel.  It replaced my P239 9mm which was my previous carry gun.  It is   pretty much equal in accuracy if not better in my hands.   One of my friends shoots it better than his personal G19, but then I have another friend who is normally a good shot that absolutely sucks with it.

I sent mine to Canyon Creek after testing it with 200rds  to get their carry trigger job and had the slide and small parts gun koted as well.  The trigger was sufficient before but it did have a long reset.  I don't know what Rich at CC does but the take up and reset is shorter than on a Glock now but much crisper.  It breaks crisp right at 4lbs but like I said the takeup and reset are amazingly different than factory.

The only real drawback I think they have out of the box is the finish.  If you don't plan on carrying it wiping it down weekly with CLP will keep it safe.  I can sweat all over mine with the Gun-Kote and it won't cause any corrosion.  If you carry it I'd get the 2-tone or have it refinished with something better.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I would like a Glock, but I have tried over and over, and can't get the damn things to fit me right. I would like a higher capacity plastic gun, and I doubt I can get over the whole inaccuracy thing.

Looks like I'm going to try out the H&K.

Edit: The above post sounds better, but I'm still hesitant to spend that kind of money to try out something I have no real idea about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if you will buy a Glock and the XD fits your hand buy the XD. I have both and like my G19 better but my XD is just as reliable and accurate. It is just as good as the Glock I have just shot my Glock more so I like it more and I like the rear sight on my Glock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I would like a Glock, but I have tried over and over, and can't get the damn things to fit me right. I would like a higher capacity plastic gun, and I doubt I can get over the whole inaccuracy thing.

Edit: The above post sounds better, but I'm still hesitant to spend that kind of money to try out something I have no real idea about.

Why don't you just go to a range and rent a few guns that you are interested in?
As far as inacurracy I think it just depends on who is shooting the gun.  I can shoot
my XD very accurately for a service gun.   I am not very good with glocks or hk's
but I know it is just me and not the guns.  I would not let someone turn you off of
an XD because some platforms  just don't work for some people while they work  
great for others.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with HK.  Certainly a step up from Glock and XD.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you just go to a range and rent a few guns that you are interested in?
As far as inacurracy I think it just depends on who is shooting the gun.  I can shoot
my XD very accurately for a service gun.   I am not very good with glocks or hk's
but I know it is just me and not the guns.  I would not let someone turn you off of
an XD because some platforms  just don't work for some people while they work  
great for others.

No where that I know of to rent them, or else I would.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the XD is cheep POS(IMO).  Yes, it is an easy gun to take down and it will shoot.  The steel is weak.  I bought the XD-40 Service as my first handgun and was very disappointed.  The finish wears very quickly even if it is not in a holster.  The channel where the extractor fits chips within the first 100 rounds.  I think the main reason this gun is so popular is it was made for those who want a Glock but do not like the feel of the Glock.  Don't get me wrong if the gun was solid I would still own it.  I had an opportunity to check out the original Croacian(spelling?) design and it too had the same lose of metal in the same area.  I ended up trading my XD for a TLEII.

If you really want a .40, get the Sig P229.  This gun was made based on the .40 cal round.  I own one and it is a great gun that is perfectly suited for the .40 cal round IMO and it's even easier/safer than the XD to take down.  By the way I did send my XD back to Springfield and they said the chipping was normal, "Ware & Tare" eventhough this happened well within the first 100 rounds!?  To me, metal coming off the inside of the slide near a critical part is anything but normal.  

I would still go out and rent (if you can) your choice of gun and see which one works for you.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the XD is cheep POS(IMO).  Yes, it is an easy gun to take down and it will shoot.  The steel is weak.  I bought the XD-40 Service as my first handgun and was very disappointed.  The finish wears very quickly even if it is not in a holster.  The channel where the extractor fits chips within the first 100 rounds.  I think the main reason this gun is so popular is it was made for those who want a Glock but do not like the feel of the Glock.  Don't get me wrong if the gun was solid I would still own it.  I had an opportunity to check out the original Croacian(spelling?) design and it too had the same lose of metal in the same area.  I ended up trading my XD for a TLEII.

If you really want a .40, get the Sig P229.  This gun was made based on the .40 cal round.  I own one and it is a great gun that is perfectly suited for the .40 cal round IMO and it's even easier/safer than the XD to take down.  By the way I did send my XD back to Springfield and they said the chipping was normal, "Ware & Tare" eventhough this happened well within the first 100 rounds!?  To me, metal coming off the inside of the slide near a critical part is anything but normal.  

I would still go out and rent (if you can) your choice of gun and see which one works for you.  Good luck.

You must have gotten a lemon because my XD has 2000rds through it and the "chipping" has not occured on mine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
No rusting, no chipping, and accurate to boot.  I must have got a good one!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Croats make great guns, I say hold out for 45acp though.  Read quite a few times of rust issues though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
the only gripe I have with the XD is that they managed to design a pistol with a bore axis even higher than the USP, causing it to have some pretty heavy muzzle flip(especially in .40s&w).  the trigger reset is very long as well.  you can do better for the money if you ask me, a polymer witness for example.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've got an XD-40 here's my take:

Pro's:
Nice grip angle
Good mags
Comfortable trigger

Con's:
Wears like it was painted with a black marker
Rust speckles on grip saftey and upper slide
Have had light strikes on various ammo (maybe 5-6 out of 400+ rnds)
By far most inaccurate handgun I own (KP-89, SA 1911A1, G21, Sig 228, Bersa .380, 686, 19,)

Would I buy it again?  No, I should have bought the CZ75, but thats been my own experience.  By what I've read, I seem to be in the minority.

Wow, light primer strikes.  That is what I saw at Gunsite talked about here
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
My XD-357 is wonderful. Very accurate and so far the only issue I've had is premature slide-lock back on 1 mag, but that was cured with some filing. Mag issues aren't the gun's fault, IMHO.

The finish on mine is worn, but I'm very hard on it so I don't sweat that very much. No rust, no light strikes, and it eats every ammo I've put through it.

Pluses include interchangeable barrels to go from 40 to 357 to 9mm, which is very neat. Also, lifetime warranty and cheap mags.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#18]
My 9mm bi-tone is great. Reliable, accurate enough and simple. Get one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]
There is one at the local range I frequent, was an XD40, a buddy of mine and I rented it and put about 200 rounds down pipe and LOVED IT. No issues with the cheap ammo they gave us to shoot it either(can't say the samething about the G19 we rented)

I went back to the range a couple months later and wanted to rent it again, they said it had went back to SA for service. Reason? Broken firing pin after an estimated 100k rounds through it. Big fucking deal. So we rented the XD9 sub compact instead, a diff friend of mine hadn't shot a handgun in ages, the first bullet he puts downrange is right between the eyes of the BG on the target.

Inaccurate.....yeah

I like it better than the glock, and I was going to be buying a G21 until I heard about them coming out with one in 45. If you take care of the gun, which you should any gun, I don't thiink it will give you any problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:50:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I own an XD9 and a G27. I find for sub compacts they are both fairly accurate and easy to control.

I had the Glock worked on the first week I owned it. The Slide stop was real funky as well as the trigger. After which this pistol has been fantastic. The XD9 has been a good shooter from day one.
I know several people with XD's no complaints. The XD feeks better in my hands. IMO they are Tit for Tat.  Which ever feels the best in your hands. I must say I do like the grip safety

I am a 1911 fanatic. However, I now carry the Glock or the XD instead.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I have had an XD for a long time now, I got mine before the gun of the year stuff. I picked it up as a working gun for the truck.

I had the rust issue.  I sent back to SA and they Armory Koated it.  No problems since.

The XD has a lot going for it.  Accurate and dependable, you can not go wrong for the money.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Just Do It!  You won't be sorry!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I shott one of these for the first time today.
A friend of mine that post's in the OK ht forum has 3 of them40,9,357......
He had the 357 with him today......
It shot like a champ really acurate. I'm no competition shooter but this pistol was a shooter in my opinion I was skipping cans with no problem out to 20 yrds.......

Jeff is a pretty decent shot I actually saw him make hits on cans at 84 yrds not every time but the ones that missed were close enough to hit a person easy or scare them to death

I was impressed with it's acuracy big time if you have one that's not acurate it's either you or you got a bad one/the gun just aint for you

The finish well it's just what i've read....... it's poor to say the least IMHO.......got no dog in this fight I don't own one I'm a glock 1911 guy  but i could see a lot of bare metal   i think he told me his 40 was even worse......but he carries these pistols in holsters all the time.....they get used....

The only real issue that I didn't like was it had a lot of muzzle flip not sure if they are all like this or just the 357......

I only ran around 3 mags through the gun but he shot it a lot today probably 20 mags at least .....no malfunctions and acurate as could be.... he told me he hasn't had any malfunctions with any of his 3 xd's .......just finish problems .....

If finish isn't a concern I wouldn't be afraid to buy one .........or if springfield has a fix for it that's even better.....

I'm not swithcing from my glocks or 1911's but I did like the acuracy and the 0 malfunctions that's important to me....YMMV
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I will say that I chose the XD simply because of the grip angle.  

I have both a XD9 subcompact and the XD9 service model.  Both have served me well and I have had zero malfunctions from both.

Round count is as follows:

XD9 subcompact - ~4,500 rounds
XD9 Service  - ~2,000 rounds

My subcompact is bi-tone while the service is black on black.  I have had one rust issue with the service model but it was vrey minor and a little CLP took care of it.  This was after a pistol course where I fired close to 800 rounds through it in wonderful wet weather.  I was pleasantly suprised how well it held up.

I will say that the magazines for both are very good.  During one training class, a carbine course, we still were required to shoot pistol.  I dropped magazines during emergency reloads into sand, mud, dirt, etc. and was concerned about their functionality.  While reloading one particular magazine it seemed like the rounds were being held up by debris in the magazine body.  I had to get going so I used it anyway and never had a problem.  In the long run it just worked.

I am happy with both of my XDs and plan on buying a XD in .45 ACP when they come out.  

My advice to anyone looking to buy one is find a place that will rent you one or find someone that owns one and then shoot it.  Shoot a Glock to for a good comparison.  That's what I did and I found the XD just felt better in my hands.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I own two in .40, a Service model and a subcompact in stainless.  Love them both, many rounds through both with no issues what so ever.  However, I concur, if you don't get the stainless, get it coated with something substantial.  Otherwise, a great gun for the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Had an XD9, and it was sold after a stretch of FTE's. Went to the G19 right after. I got advice later that the guide rod and spring should be changed and that usually solves the FTE problem. Finish was thin, but no rust problems. I actually liked it alot. The .45ACP model has my attention. Has all the trappings of a true followup to the 1911, especially if there is a 5" model in the works
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Steel is weak? Chipping?
I have in excess of 5000 rounds through my XD sub and have handled several other well used XDs without seeing any such thing. Would you have further on this?

I do have to admit the finish on the XDs is a weak point. However, I had my sub duracoated, and that problem appears to have been resolved. Otherwise, the ergonomics are great, I've never had a malfuction other than double feeds caused by having mixed ammo and snap caps in the same mag, and the weapon is more accurate than I am.  After better than 5000 rounds and several gunning classes with this weapon, I think well enough of the XD that I just bought  a full size version as well a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I stand by what I said.  As stated previously, the gun functioned fine and never once gave me trouble.  

I also stated in the previous post that the gun was sent back to S/A.  S/A never gave me crap about it and called it "Normal Ware and Tare", which I felt was abnormal due to the round count and that fact the gun was always clean and stored properly.  The loss of metal was minimal, however, it was a loss just the same in an area that caused concern.  As stated before I had a chance to look at a used Croation 9mm model which also had the same area of ware.

I have seen and read posts that talk about the recoil system being flawed.  I never had such a problem.  That does not mean it does not exsist.  So maybe I got a lemon or maybe the gun was fine and it was just normal "ware and tare".  Either way I was not happy with the gun and tradded it in towards a Kimber.  

The fact is, my opinion of the XD is just that my opinion.  As far as Springfield Armory, I have just purchased a new 1911-A1 G.I.  I like the company, not the XD.  I still stand by what I said in my previous post.  I am glad that none of you have had the same experience, as we all know, nothing upsets us more than taking our hard earned money and getting something less than desirable.  Take it easy and have a Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 3 of them along with many other pistols.  I like the XDs the most and carry them.  I have many of thousands of rounds thru mine with no problems other then the finish,  but you must keep in mind that these things are used, worn, holstered alot.  I will abuse them but then I take care of  them.  they have never rusted nor had any worn metal but the finish has worn from use,   but that builds character.  Yes I do like they way they point.  they point way better then a glock for me due to the grip angle and that is very important.  The pistol will be perfect if they ever fix the finish issue imo.   Other then that it is an excelent pistol for the money and is what I prefer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top