Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:19 PM EDT
Hi. I decided to take apart my Sig P228 tonight for a detailed cleaning. I striped down the frame completely. All went well accept the magazine catch. I put the magazine catch detent in wrong. Now the magazine catch does not work and I can’t get it out to fix it. Damn!

The detent holds the mag catch in. It has a shoulder on one side like a half-sphere. I put the shoulder facing to the right if you are looking at the gun from the muzzle. It goes in facing the left. What can I do aside from pounding the whole thing out and ruining my frame? There must be others out there that have done this. Please help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:57:18 PM EDT
Try using a very thin jeweler's screwdriver to reach in and compress the detent/spring so the mag catch can be removed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:20:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:44:38 PM EDT
gasoline and a match.....

burn that bastard out!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:58:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:
One thing that has often worked for me in such situations is to put the gun down and leave it alone for a day or two. When you return to it, you may see the problem in a whole new light...seriously.

Good luck

+1. If you continue to fool with it now, you will "F" it up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:21:46 AM EDT
You could always send it to SIGArms or find a SIG certified smith and let a professional fix it. May cost a few bucks, but perhaps it's worth it at this point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:47:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:26:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

Originally Posted By ikor:
One thing that has often worked for me in such situations is to put the gun down and leave it alone for a day or two. When you return to it, you may see the problem in a whole new light...seriously.

Good luck

+1. If you continue to fool with it now, you will "F" it up.

Another +1. I took my Ruger P97 down like that when I first got it. Had lots of trouble getting all the trigger components back in. It took me a week messing with a few hours a day, but I got it back together and it worked. Or as others suggested take it to a gunsmith who is familiar with Sigs, I was almost to that point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:57:08 PM EDT
Not familair with this particular part and how it sits in this pistol. So FWIW. I have removed pins that were not in a terrible bind or under pressure with compressed air and grease or pressurized water/liquid. If you can force something past it, it may just pop out. good luck
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
Nuke from orbit it's the only way to be sure

really listen to him about taking a break I did the same thing with a trigger housing on
my pellet rifle. leave it be get a sammach,and beer come back when mojo is strong danya-son
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 6:20:00 AM EDT by gotm4]
If you install the mag catch with it's retainer upside down, MOST of the time it has to be drilled out @ Sig.
Top Top