Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 3:49:21 PM EDT
At some point some decide to sale their handguns, but what brand has the best/worst resale value?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You're always going to take a hit when you sale.  Unless, of course, your into antiques or rare items.  The worst money investment is in a custom gun (but your best shooting investment if you enjoy it).  Colt AR's seem to hold their value more than the others, and the Smiths more than the Taurus.  But, they cost more to begin with.  If your planning on buying modern guns for monetary investment......well, I've got a few I'd like to sell ya!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The best way to come out well if you sell your guns is ...

1.  Buy good guns that are easy to resell.  Ruger, Colt, S&W, Remington are guns that you'll get a lot of calls on if you run an ad in the local paper.  Buy guns that you know up-front will be easy to resell if you want or need to (1911's, GP100's, 686's and 700's are easy to sell).  Avoid unusual models and avoid calibers that most people aren't comfortable with or that only a reloader would want.

2.  Buy your guns USED in excellent condition and try to sell them in similar condition (TAKE CARE OF YOUR GUNS).  This avoids taking the hit on depreciation between a new gun and a used one, sorta like buying or selling a car.  When you're selling, condition is everything!

3.  Don't leave all of your goodies on a gun or sell you gun with all of the accessories.  You can come out better taking the scope you paid $500.00 for and keeping it for something else or putting it up for sale on Ebay!  Everybody expects you to just "throw-in" all of the accessories for free no matter how much you've invested!!    
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the EE here and sites like gunsamerica.com.  Learn what the street value/real market value is on a lot of different makes and models.  This way when you come across a good deal you will be able to snatch it up and resell it for what everyone else is selling it for.  Heck you could sell it for slightly less than everyone else if you got a good deal on it, that way you'd sell it quick.

I've never done this with a handgun, but I found a good deal on a Daewoo DR200 .223 at a gun show for $400.  Usually on gunsamerica.com these go for $600 and up.  Needless to say I bought it, shot it for a while and then re-sold it for $400 cash plus two stripped AR lowers.  Basically I got $600-$650 out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top