Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 9:38:07 AM EDT
Say you were out and about and got attacked by a gun toting thug.  You exchanged gunfire with the man and end up incapacitating him.  The authorities show up and it's decided it was justified and no charges will be brought against you.  You had to defend your life.  On top of that, you learned the bad guy just wounded a police officer hours earlier, so the cops are thanking you for stopping him.

In the process of shooting, you put a round into a Posrche 911 parked across the street and cracked a cylinder head.

Would you have to pay for the Porsche to get fixed?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken , I BELIEVE that would go to whatever insurer the owner of the propery had. Not the Porsche, but the owner of the property that you, the BG, and the Porsche were on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
cracked a cylinder head?  dayum, what kinda holster you get for that ma deuce?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say yes, you would be liable for any damage to it, however the damage would likely be covered under the car owner's comprehensive insurance coverage, and you might only be liable for the deductible, if any.

Be sure of your target and beyond
Never cover anything you're not willing to destroy

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#4]
This guy is the "what if this?, what if that?, what if with a wiffle ball bat?" guy that shows up to grind all of my firearms training classes to a complete halt with far fetched scenarios.  I swear.  There's one in every class!

....And what if the bullet ricochets off the porche engine and strikes a guy doing the can can, wearing a sweater and a catcher's mask?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Lighten up Francis.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Say you were out and about and got attacked by a gun toting thug.  You exchanged gunfire with the man and end up incapacitating him.  The authorities show up and it's decided it was justified and no charges will be brought against you.  You had to defend your life.  On top of that, you learned the bad guy just wounded a police officer hours earlier, so the cops are thanking you for stopping him.

In the process of shooting, you put a round into a Posrche 911 parked across the street and cracked a cylinder head.

Would you have to pay for the Porsche to get fixed?

In TN you would.

Also, if everything happend as stated, except you shot a 5 year old in the head instead of the Porche you would be charged with his murder.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it really matter?

I mean would the answer in any way change your decision to carry and to use your ccw if you need it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I would still carry and engage if I needed to regardless of the answer.

But the answer might make the difference on how much insurance I carry.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cracked a cylinder head?  dayum, what kinda holster you get for that ma deuce?

Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This guy is the "what if this?, what if that?, what if with a wiffle ball bat?" guy that shows up to grind all of my firearms training classes to a complete halt with far fetched scenarios.  I swear.  There's one in every class!

....And what if the bullet ricochets off the porche engine and strikes a guy doing the can can, wearing a sweater and a catcher's mask?

Obviously, he would be liable for 87% of the dancer's medical bills.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously, he would be liable for 87% of the dancer's medical bills.

What if he accidentally shot a RETARD?

w00t!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Reason to Practice.. and Not Miss!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd thank God for my life and offer to cover the damages.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd thank God for my life and offer to cover the damages.

+1 yep
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
A person can be held liable for any damages that occur as a consequence of their actions while committing a crime.
I.E. Bad guy leads cops in a car chase, cop wipes out and destroys his car and a house. The bad guy can be held to account for the damages incuured when the cop wiped out even though he did not directly cause the crash.
In the above "what if" I would say the criminal would be held liable since his commission of a crime elicited your legal response. I.E. none of that would have happened if he had been a good boy.
However it would be best to consult with an attorney and maybe even put one on retainer just in case mr/mrs porsche driver comes looking to sue you in civil court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top