Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT
For all you PPK(Or PPK/S) .380 owners how uncormfortable is this handgun to shoot?  I'm not talking about the "railroad tracks" in the webbing of your hand but rather the stiff recoil as a result of the blockback action.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it was a roid. I was greatly disappointed with mine. - OTOH a Makarov which loos like a cheap ripoff of the PPK is a dream to shoot. YMMV

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I would say that recoil is pretty sharp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's straight blowback and it has a sharp recoil. For large handed people, slide bite is a prob too. I never shoot them, and wouldn't carry one.

For a smaller pocket gun that has much less recoil an better handling, believe it or not, the Keltec 380 wins in my book.

Having said that, 380 is pretty anemic, carry something bigger if at all possible.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want to shoot it all day - but I've always enjoyed shooting mine.  My Glocks and Browning are smoother but it is still fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got to watch what I say in front of some people because they think this gun is the end-all.

I think they're overrated (there - its now printed in a internet forum!) in terms  of reliability and handling characteristics.

I can shoot my Mak all day - with the right grips.  With the Pearce rubber grips or the over-sized wood ones from Mak.com - the gun is very shootable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I really don't think the PPK 380 is that bad.I've shot my PPK for several years and I've never experienced these problems myself,but everyone is physically different and certain guns my not be the best choice.I shoot 45's and 44 magnums all the time for the last 30 years and to me the key is knowing what to expect from the gun as far as recoil,blast.etc. which comes from regular practice and this can help you overcome any problems.One thing you may want to try is to either shoot a friends PPK or go to a shop that has a range and a used PPK and see if you can fire one before you buy.It would be better to shoot one yourself before buying than to buy and be disappointed.My PPK is accurate to it's intended range 15 to 25 yards.I hope this helps.Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
.380 blowback slaps your hand like somebody giving you five really hard.  If you have tender money counting hands, then it can get a little lit up after a 100 round or so.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had a stainless PPK/S for about five years now.

Shoot it two or three times a year -- about 50 rounds each time.  Never any problems.

When I first got it I ran thru approx 500 rounds thru it.  So now I would say it's had approx 900-1,000 rounds thru it -- always been 110%  !

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok then, mixed views.  How about this, for those of you who have shot a PPK or PPK/s in .32 how much more pleasant is that to shoot in comparison to the .380?  Is the .32 comfortable?  Or does it still provide a decent amount of slap to your hand?

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone else want to chime in?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Walther PPKs are OK.  The recent ones made by Smith and Wesson in Houlton address some of the railroad tracks issue by adding more steel at the back of the frame in the expected spot.  

I think the Sig 232 easily beats the Walther PPK (of any vintage) in a side by side test.  The better trigger pull and factory sights of the Sig really make the difference.  

If you are hellbent on getting a .380 then check out the Sig before you buy a PPK.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#14]
My PPK/S is in 380 ACP caliber, but I have a PP in 32 ACP caliber.  

The PP is a LITTLE easier to shoot, but then again it's a little larger pistol too.  

Those who say the 32 is no good as a "defensive" round would be suprised on how well one can shoot a pistol in this caliber  ! !    I know I would not want to be on the receiving end  ! !  (by the way -- I've "clocked" S&B 71 FMC at 980 fps out of my PP -- not to bad for a 32  ! )

And have you tried the Sig 230/232 ? ?  I have one of those too -- REALLY nice pistol  ! !

And now, let me put on my "flame suit" . . . .

I also have a Bersa "Thunder" model, in 380 ACP.  About the size of the Sig 230/232 and believe it or not, easier to shoot  ! !    Been 110% reliable in over 300 rounds so far, including HP and "steel cased" ammo too  ! !    Not "high-end quality" like the Sig, but affordable and RELIABLE ! !   If cost is a factor, may want to check one of these out too (paid less than $200 out the door for mine a short time ago).

So . . . if you don't like the Bersa 380's, flame away  ! !

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The older PPK is uncomfortable to shoot in my opinion.  After a couple of mags, the backstrap feels like it is just digging into your webbing between the thumb and forefinger.  The newer ones supposedly have some more beef there to help with this.  

As to what the guy above me posted, I personally think the Bersa is one of the better .380s out there, and is very comfortable to shoot.

If $$ were no concern, I'd have to consider the Sig 232 as well.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
i like my p232.  it's like a laser beam (minus the recoil), and it sends the empty casings into the next county.  that gets all kinds of comments from other shooters, lol.  but sweeping the brass off the roof of the range next to me is easier than picking it off the ground

it does tend to give me a case of slide bite, but it's not too bad for ~100 rds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Snag a Colt Mustang (short reciol) . Theres alot of differance .
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i like my p232.  it's like a laser beam (minus the recoil), and it sends the empty casings into the next county.  that gets all kinds of comments from other shooters, lol.  but sweeping the brass off the roof of the range next to me is easier than picking it off the ground

it does tend to give me a case of slide bite, but it's not too bad for ~100 rds.

i liked my p232 but it was so much nicer after i put hogue rubber grips on it.  i never had a slide bite issue.  however i had maybe 5 ftf over 500 rounds.  the only bad thing about it is that there is no external slide stop so clearing a jam is a pita.  i would have to drop the mag then pull the slide back and let the offending round fall out and then reinsert the mag.  trying to get them out through the ejection port was like doing the little dance to get the auto faucets to work in bathrooms.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'd rather carry pepper spray over a .32 anything.

a .32 started world war I. It is a proven man killer when used correctly.

IMO - As good as .45acp? No. Better than pepper spray? You bet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I like my PPK/S .380. It is a nice little gun, but the blowback slaps your hand pretty good and after a 100rds or so your hand is sore from the backstrap. I actually got to the point of bleeding one time from it at a pistol class and shooting 250rds in only a couple of hours with it.

Now that I have a Bulgarian Makarov, I think it is a much better value than a PPK. It is just as reliable, if not more. The original red star grips dont bite your hand. It is just as accurate and durable. 9mm Mak is marginally better than .380 for SD. It also holds 1 more round, and the trigger can be broken in with use to be just as good as the PPK trigger. It is essentially the same pistol, only a little more simple and crude due to Soviet adaptation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top