Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 3:05:36 PM EDT
This is what it will be like:

.45 acp
Full size.
Is factory-accurized, but looks like a stock gun, no bling or "accessorized" look.
Tough enough to handle hot loads consistently.
Match trigger (or close) out of the box.
Rugged enough for a "combat" gun but refined enough to outshoot almost everything at the range.

This will be my main weekly range gun, but will also be the gun next to my bed and inside my truck.  For the entire year of 2006 I will shoot the crap out of it, expect it to never break (even if abused with +p), and be ultimately dependable without a whole lot of pampering.

Is there such a pistol? Maybe some of you have a gun just like it... what is it?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest an HK USP Tactical in .45 ACP. If you have the money to spend the HK Mk 23 would be a better choice. It looks big, but it really isn't heavy.

It would fit in with exactly what you want, an accurate match type gun with combat ruggedness.

HK USP Tactical .45 ACP
www.hk-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=101&SITEID=A&PartNumber=704504

HK Mk 23 .45 ACP
www.hk-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=101&SITEID=A&PartNumber=723001

Both are really great guns but they are expensive. Enjoy!

If your looking for a 1911, the Kimber Warrior would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If a 1911 fits the bill, your post describes almost exactly (to me anyway) this one right here.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Sig P220 in your choice of flavors. You want an all Stainless Steel gun, they got it. Don't like the stainless look? Get a P220 SBS, thats a stainless gun with rail, Hoage grips with Trijicon Night Sites all done up in black Nitron. I bought one 1 month ago for $699 NIB.

Or what ever you like. But get the Sig.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You just described an HK Tactical.  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You just described an HK Tactical.  You won't be disappointed.

+1

Do not compromise by getting a lesser brand, do it right and get the HK.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, controversial advice...
I've favored 1911's for years, but I have to say the USP tactical looks like an interesting choice.

What are the reasons some of you prefer the USP over an accurized 1911 and viceversa?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, controversial advice...
I've favored 1911's for years, but I have to say the USP tactical looks like an interesting choice.

What are the reasons some of you prefer the USP over an accurized 1911 and viceversa?

Thanks!

+1 for the USP Tactical (I can't own one in California, but when it's number 1 on my list when I move)

I like the USP platform way more than a 1911. Holds 12 rounds (plus 1 in the chamber), has a great finish on it, is insanely accuate out of the box, you can carry it decocked, cocked and locked etc. It also has a rail with a variety of accessories for them. It will shoot any round, and you have the option of buying a suppressor for it. :drool:

O and it's cheaper....but it leads to an expensive HK habit (I've got 3 USPs and a  P7m8)...and I just turned 21!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a Gold Cup, preferably a series 70

all you gotta do is replace the spring that comes with it with a std power recoil spring and you're good to go

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ97B or of course a good 1911.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is what it will be like:

.45 acp
Full size.
Is factory-accurized, but looks like a stock gun, no bling or "accessorized" look.
Tough enough to handle hot loads consistently.
Match trigger (or close) out of the box.
Rugged enough for a "combat" gun but refined enough to outshoot almost everything at the range.

This will be my main weekly range gun, but will also be the gun next to my bed and inside my truck.  For the entire year of 2006 I will shoot the crap out of it, expect it to never break (even if abused with +p), and be ultimately dependable without a whole lot of pampering.

Is there such a pistol? Maybe some of you have a gun just like it... what is it?

Thanks!

I was in your shoes about a month ago and went out and bought the H&K USP 45. You won't be dissapointed
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get a Sig P220 in your choice of flavors. You want an all Stainless Steel gun, they got it. Don't like the stainless look? Get a P220 SBS, thats a stainless gun with rail, Hoage grips with Trijicon Night Sites all done up in black Nitron. I bought one 1 month ago for $699 NIB.

Or what ever you like. But get the Sig.

+1
OR the 220 Sport Stock with adjustable sights, rail, Hogue grips and extended controls.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
HK USP or 1911(Springfield, Colt, or Kimber).
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
there is a RRA Elite Commando for sale in the EE that fits your criteria. HK sucks

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yost~Bonitz 1* on a Springfield GI.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

all you gotta do is replace the spring that comes with it with a std power recoil spring and you're good to go

I think he asked for a .45 that could do all of the things he listed "out of box."
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he asked for a .45 that could do all of the things he listed "out of box."

a std power recoil spring is $4 at best.  The one the Gold Cups come with, mine anyway, is low powered so the GC will shoot target loads consistently.  Springs wear out and have to be replaced periodically anyway
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#19]
After reading responses and following up with a little research, I did my best to put aside a natural disgust for plastic guns and be as objective as possible.

Went to the shop and ordered a .45 UPS Tactical, which arrived two days later.

The gun was larger that I expected and felt weird even in my big hands, naturally something within was rejecting the light, toy-like feel of the plastic handle.

Field stripped the pistol to find a whacky looking spring, lots of plastic in the bottom, and terribly dissapointingly thin slide rails... how will this be able to sustain abuse? almost looks like it would chip off with a tap of a wrench. The slide rails engaged four little steel tabs protruding from from the plastic lower, Glock style, nothing impressive here. The inside of the barrel looked kind of like a Glock barrel. I was thinking I just paid a grand for a fancied Glock, actually, a flimsy looking glock with a plastic leaf-like trigger that looks like it can be ripped off with a push of the thumb.

Already missing the feel and classic lines of my 1911's, I fought hard to overcome my aversion for the strange new feel of this large, top-heavy clunker, purchased 500 rounds ranging from weak to +P, and walked into the indoor range area of the shop.

Keeping and open mind can sometimes be rewarding, this is what I found:
-The large, akward feel of the grip became more comfortable as the shooting went on, I began to feel the pistol was a part of my hand and my control was absolute... I guess the term "ergonomics" is something more than smoke and mirrors.
-Aiming with the large protruding sights was so easy and quick, I found myself wondering which one of my best handguns handled like that.
-At first I was wondering if something was wrong while shooting at 20 feet, but then I realized all the bullets were going through the same hole. 200 rounds made one single hole 1" in diameter.
-The "flimsy" trigger was, I hate to admit, just perfect. Crisp and just light enough, and something I never though about before: it felt like it was perfectly positioned.
-Shot the last 100 rounds from 75 feet, slow fire, and all the bullets were inside a 4" circle.  For me that is without precedent.
-The felt recoil, even with the +P loads, was the lightest of any .45 I ever shot before, by a large margin.  I'm always tired after four or five boxes with my 1911's, however I broke in my USP in one sitting and I was ready for more.
-The pistol was shot out of the box did not malfuctioned in any way, however I was expecting that as a minimum.

For those of us who don't believe a century old design can be radically improved, man, are we wrong or what.  I guess in the long run time will tell, but If at this point I didn't say so far this is the best performing of all my pistols, I'd be telling a big lie.

I still hate the plastic, but less than before. This pistol has grown on me in a way none of my previously owned Glocks could have ever come close to.

My favorite gun will always be a 1911, but now I know it is for purely sentimental reasons. The initial performance of my new USP tactical left a far better first impression than any other new handgun I've purchased in 26 years of shooting.  I will blast the hell out of this this pistol in 2006 and I'm looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
HKoolaid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top