Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2005 10:38:07 PM EDT
The new Smith and Wesson Military and Police. So besides a big pricetag for a polymer wonder what else does it have going for it? It's ugly and the reviews I've seen say the trigger isn't anything to write home about. Why would one want this if you could get a Sigma for less then half the cost?  I'm a big long time fan of S&W revolvers and steel semi autos but I don't understand the purpose for this model. It's not even available in 45 ACP. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see it live up to the original M&P but I doubt that it will. S&W semi auto's just plain suck.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You can have my share.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
It's probably a Sigma with the bugs worked out (hopefully).  I highly doubt it will live up to the name.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
A .45 is planned.  It's no more expensive than other polymer pistols.  Links to the reviews you mention?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking forward to trying this thing out.  Everything I have read has been unanimously positive.  Maybe this Smith will actually work for me.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am looking forward to trying this thing out.  Everything I have read has been unanimously positive.

Ditto!

S&W seems to have done their homework with this one and they are making a big push back into the LEO market. I hope it works out for them, they seem to have a winner with this new M&P.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Might be helpful to someone.  Link
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I am soon to be assigned one by my PD for T&E.  We currently carry the S&W 5906 (don't think much of it).  I plan to abuse the crap out of it.  I don't expect much, but who knows.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am soon to be assigned one by my PD for T&E.  We currently carry the S&W 5906 (don't think much of it).  I plan to abuse the crap out of it.  I don't expect much, but who knows.....

Be sure to write up review and take plenty of pictures. As I understand it the .40s are shipping now, the 9mm in January and the 45s by the end of '06. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We badly need a solid US company back in the service pistol game. I, for one, hope S&W pulls this one off.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's probably a Sigma with the bugs worked out (hopefully).  I highly doubt it will live up to the name.  

Someone already did that. Try a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm optimistic about it.  But, I won't own one unless they make the magazine disconnect and safety lock optional.  Which, up to now, they are not planning to do except for LE agencies.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
S&W semi auto's just plain suck.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone already did that. Try a Glock.

If S&W could give the Sigma a better trigger I'd buy it over a glock, they feel much better in the hand.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The new M&P isn't a rehash of the Sigma. In fact, they'll keep making the
old Sigma as a seperate line.

This new M&P has a lot going for but the most important is the grip angle
which will be similar to the 1911. Its going to be one of the best feeling
of polymer pistols plus the grip size can be modified by the end user with
interchangible back straps that are supplied with the gun.

Time will tell but this may be the gun that will re-gain the pistol market for
Smith and Wesson.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#19]
This M&P doesn't appeal to me at all.  They did score a big hit with their SW1911, excellent pistol, so maybe I'll take a wait and see approach to the M&P.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Sigma, hated it, sold it, probably won't buy another S&W auto. I own several S&W wheel guns. I think that they should stick to what they're good at.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
i fell for a smegma too.inexpensive,looks cool and feels good in the hand other than that is a otal smegmilion of a smegma sickma etcetra!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dept had about 200 of them issued in the .45 ACP variety. I carried one for over 13 years. They were a huge disappointment. Don't get me started.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#23]
S&W makes a GREAT revolver.  Their autopistols are, um...not as good.  

As for the above poster that talks about getting a US company back in pistols...S&W is owned by a British company.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As for the above poster that talks about getting a US company back in pistols...S&W is owned by a British company.  

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A .45 is planned.  It's no more expensive than other polymer pistols.  Links to the reviews you mention?

Real .45 acp or the gap? lol

My info on this was based on an article I read written by Gun Writer Gary James I think his name is, He didn't trash the pistol but said the trigger sucked, my words but that's what he meant. Do you work for S@W  I just wondered if you had a stake in the gun since you seemed to over react a bit to what I said in my thread. There is no bigger fan of Smith and Wesson then me, I own 5 of their revolvers and one autoloader. I want the company to do well. Indeed I as an American although I like my Glocks would really hope that Smith and Wesson is able to retake the U.S. law enforcement market. Anyway, I don't doubt you but am only curious, after you posted you didn't follow up so I thought I would IM you my questions. I hope you don't mind. you seem to be an authority on this model.  I live in Columbus, I don't think our police department has ever had anything but smith and Wesson's, from the 32 hand ejector to the original Model 10 M@P thru the 4506. Since the 4505 has been in service with them around 15 years they getting ready to change over. to the new M@P in .40 I guess?? .  You state and I saw a Smith link saying it will be introduced in .45 correct? Why is Smith talking so long to introduce the .45 model? Please tell me it's ACP and not GAP,lol. Last but not least you say that this new pistol won't cost any more then any other polymer models, that's a very broad statement, polymers cost anywhere in the range from $250-$300 for the cheeps, like the Sigma's to $800+ for HK'S. Glocks are Happily in the middle usually, being $499.00 new in my neck of the woods. So by what are you comparing the new M@P's price too? My questrion/point in the treade was this new pistol surely wont be priced as cheaply as a Sigma, Even though you kinda infer that. I know S@w's 3RD Gen all stainless guns run around $800 new but have little resale value.... So what I was saying asking if it was only a rehash of a sigma would it be priced in a higher range due to only marketing. My question was answered that It's not a Sigma but a new better design but I'm still curious what it'll cost. thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Dept had about 200 of them issued in the .45 ACP variety. I carried one for over 13 years. They were a huge disappointment. Don't get me started.

Not the Sigma, It's never been made in 45 acp, you mean a 4506 correct? do tell the issues please?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got a test model in last Friday......our issued duty pistol currently is the 4043, which I personally can't stand, don't like, and would throw in the nearest snowbank if given most any other option.  With that said...

Initial thoughts on the new M&P, considering that I won't get to shoot it until Wednesday:

The trigger is Sigma's....it is MUCH smoother than the 4043(wouldn't take much) and probably half the pull weight.  The 3 size grips are a great idea, stolen from SW 99.  At the base of the pistol is the "tool" that holds the grip to the frame and assists in disassembly of weapon.

Disassembly is goofy, in and of itself, I'll let you experience that one for yourself.  As an LE instructor, I am scared to teach the masses of non-gun folks that will be carrying them.

If you've ever held up a Glock, then a Smith 4000 series right after, most notice a different pointing of the weapons.  Glock is like holding a 2x4, and Smith is much more rounded and they each sit differently in your hand.  The new MP sits more like a Glock, very much squared off.  Ours came with Trijicons and mag disconnect.

I've always been more partial to the non-stainless firearms....something about using a stainless pistol for SWAT..... DUH.....more when I shoot it.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top