Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2005 6:44:46 PM EDT
Range Report - SIG 226 9mm - Used / Factory Reconditioned

Good morning boys, girls, and zombies.  First let me apologize for what is no doubt the sloppiest range report ever.

I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour range trip to evaluate my recently acquired SIG 226 9mm.  Since I have to word another 12 hour shift tonight and I desperately need my bed lets get right into it.  

First off this gun is easier to carry than the G17... its form and curves conceal better than the blockishness of the Glock.  In fact I am wearing it now and its pretty comfy even with this holster that is not "really" made for it.  

I think it even carries a little better than My G19!

Weather:

Mostly sunny with a temp in the mid 70s.  There was little to no breeze.  

Shooter:

Me.  Now this may or may not be an influencial factor in todays shooting, but I am going on around 39 hour now with a total of a little over two hours of sleep.  I am really tired, and probably was not shooting as well as I would have liked.  

Ammo:

I took along 100 rounds of Remington 115 grain defensive JHP.  100 rounds of WWB 115 grain FMJ.  50 rounds of 124 grain JHP Speer Gold Dots. And 400 rounds of Wolf 115 grain FMJ.

Results and Photos.  

As much as it pains me to say this, in todays range test I put the SIG up against the Glock 17 in a head-to-head match and I found that the SIG did indeed offer a few advantages over the Glock.   But there were a few problems as well.  

First off let me say that in all the shooting I did today that neither weapon had a failure to feed.  A failure to fire.  Or a failure to eject.  

The SIG however on 8 or 9 occassions did fail to lock open after the last round.  I immediately seperated my mags and began keeping track of this to see if it was a mag problem.  There was no significant difference between mags as far as failures to lock open went.  So if its a mag problem, its with both mags.  Which of course I doubt.  

This concerns me a bit due to the fact this is one of those famed "police trade ins" that everyone seems to think is so wonderful.  But also keep in mind I neither cleaned or lubed the gun before I began shooting today, so that MAY or may not be a factor.  

Of course it could just need a new recoil spring as well.  I will clean it and lube it before my next range trip and see if that makes a difference at all.  (by the way... does anyone know how to get this damn thing apart?)  

My first impression upon shooting this pistol was significant.  Now neither of these weapons have a lot of recoil.  THey are full sized 9mms afer all.  However I did notice that the SIG has considerably LESS felt recoil in my hand than the Glock.  Its also more comfortable to shoot as well.  

Additionally... the SIG grouped tighter than the Glock did.  Not that the Glocks groupings were bad, its just that the Sigs were better.  

So... here are a few questions I got answered today, and then come the pics.  

1.  Do I like the SIG?  Yes.  
2.  Was the SIG accurate?  Yes.  
3.  Do I like the SIG better than the 1911 I traded for it?  Yes.  
4.  Is the SIG going to replace the Glock as my daily carry gun?  Definate "maybe".  

One big advantage that the Glock has as a combat weapon over the SIG is trigger consistancy.  The first shot is like the last shot, whereas the SIG is a dual action.  Meaning double action on the first shot and single action on followup shots.  

However, the SIG's trigger is better than the Glocks in single action mode.  

I am not real crazy about the sights currently on the Sig, but they are not Sig factory sights, the are after market night sights.  I may replace them in time.  But they do work.  

Here are some pics... and I will describe what you are seeing here...

Here is a pic of the SIG, some of the ammo I had on hand, and the Coke I had for breakfast...

Below is my first 15 rounds with the SIG from the 15 yard mark.

Glock Target at the same 15 yards.  (I told you my shooting was off today :P )

Here is where the Glock outshot the SIG.  I did a couple drills of "Draw and Fire" one shot.  Two shots per paper, but I reholstered after every shot.  On the SIG I dropped the hammer back down since that is how I would be drawing it in a defensive situation.  Here are a few targets for those drills.   Notice the Glock is closer to center than the SIG.  These were done at about 12 yards.  

First the SIG...

And the Glock...

A few more random images...

The rapid fire was done at 7 yards.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
great range report!

thanks

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gone through 2-P226's and 2-P220 used trade-ins (not the factory recertified).

All shot well, none had a problem locking back on a factory magazine.

Regardless, I always change the recoil springs so I know where I stand but no malfunctions noted before changing them.

I think they are some of the best deals going.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree.  I am very pleased with the sig.  

The holster wear is significant as you can see.  And I have since cleaned and lubed the weapon.  It was VERY dry.  

When I take her out again next weekend I will post an update as to if the cleaning and lubing solved the locking problem.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it shoots good.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Range Report - SIG 226 9mm - Used / Factory Reconditioned

1.  Do I like the SIG?  Yes.  
2.  Was the SIG accurate?  Yes.  
3.  Do I like the SIG better than the 1911 I traded for it?  Yes.  
4.  Is the SIG going to replace the Glock as my daily carry gun?  Definate "maybe".  

Nice shooting (39 hrs and all).  Enjoy the Sig!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]

You are using Sig factory mags and not crappy promag mags right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the SIG. I have a P220 that I have not been able to shoot yet and it is killing me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
95% of the time the slide lock issue is a bad thumb/slide stop interface.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#9]
+1, check your thumbs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Dammit. I should never have sold that 226.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you shoot with high thumbs?  I shoot high thumb on my 1911's, which causes me to ride over the slide lock on a Sig if I am not thinking about it, and this causes the slide to not lock!

ETA:  Must read all posts before answering!
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
95% of the time the slide lock issue is a bad thumb/slide stop interface.

Can't say I have ever done this, but a lot of shooters seem to do this with my XD9 SC as well.
"Wandering thumb syndrome"
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Next time try JOLT Cola ............  It'll tighten up your Groups  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The holster wear is significant as you can see.  And I have since cleaned and lubed the weapon.  It was VERY dry.

Holster wear, not a problem, just looks bad, but it's the shooting the counts.  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get a police trade-in.  Most of the time they are only shoot for qualifications purposes a few hundred rounds per year. Firgure 3-400 rounds per years, over 10 years, that is 3,000 rounds.  Which is barely broken in.  I know some people in LE that have 2 guns, one to carry and to practice with.

I think your problem is that you have put lube on your gun.  Most guns need a little bit of lube.  If you are one of those "mimimalist" people, I would get those new high-tech lubes that is odorless and colorless and has 3-4 times the lubricity of Teflon, and doesn't attract dirt, such as Miltec. And you only need a couple of drops on the slide rails.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Good report! Sig are nice guns, if not my cup of tea.

On that third picture, you look like someone I DO NOT want to piss off in some dark alley...
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Next time try JOLT Cola ............  It'll tighten up your Groups  

Is JOLT tactical?  Does it come in a black can?  I've heard that Space Shuttle Door Gunners are issued it by the case.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You are using Sig factory mags and not crappy promag mags right?

Right.  I only use factory mags in all my handguns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The not locking back issue is most def. you grip. My slide almost never locks back cause where my thumb rides.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...The SIG however on 8 or 9 occassions did fail to lock open after the last round....

Probably the most common problem with SIGs.  

A few ideas:

Pistol should be clean and well-lubricated with a quality lubricant such as FP-10 or Breakfree.  (This is a very common cause of not going into slide lock and would be my first guess in your case.)

Backward mag spring.

Weak mag spring (esp. if using an older made-in-Germany OEM mag).

Limp-wristing (though you don’t look like a limp-wristing kinda guy!).

Thumb holding down slide stop.

Underpowdered ammo.

It’s also remotely possible the mag follower, slide stop, or slide stop notch might be damaged.

It goes without saying that aftermarket mags can cause all sorts of problems.

Thanks for the report.  As much as I like SIGs, I have to agree that DA triggerpull is very challenging!

Note that older SIGs had really poor finishes that deteriorated quickly – even when they are mechanically almost new.  Note also that the slide and other steel parts will rust pretty easily if not cared for.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Sig 226 is a great pistol I've had mine since 1988 and never had a problem with it , and it has had a few rounds put down the pipe, Congrats on your SIG
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#21]
The more I shoot it the more convinced that I am of this... I want another.  Maybe a P220 this time!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I also have a new p226 that is a CPO which I guess is very much like a police trade in.  I love it and have had no problems through the 750 rounds of blazer that have gone down the pipe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe you got my old duty Sig.    

I carried it for about 16 years.  It had a lot more holster wear.  It came out more that you would think.      It also came out every night after my shift.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I carried it for about 16 years.  It had a lot more holster wear.  It came out more that you would think.      It also came out every night after my shift.  

Its marked TPD-720 on the side.  

I am guessing this is Tampa/Toledo/Insert town name here Police Department and perhaps a precinct designation?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Somebody have a URL for where to get a trade-in P220?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#26]
CDNN usually has them, among others.  You have to download the PDF catalog to see the firearms selections though.  I got two of 4 trade-ins from them, the other two coming from Kieslers Wholesale (website not currently working). CDNN has P220's with night sights for about $480.  Look around though, plenty of merchants carry them.

Just as an FYI, CDNN often carry's trade-in Glocks, S&Ws, and Berettas as well.

Remember, these are the trade-in's.  Unlike the Sig CPO's, the finish is as is.  They are all in working order but usually have finish wear.  IIRC the CPO's are refinished, grips replaced, sights, etc. as necessary - essentially factory overhauled.  The CPO's cost more than the standard trade-in.  Barrel rifling for all the Sig trade-in's I have purchased have been fine.

I think the finish wear adds character.  One P220 had what appeared to be a couple of small notches in the grip area.  I sometimes wondered if those were kill scores - had any of my trade-in's actually shot someone?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am guessing this is Tampa/Toledo/Insert town name here Police Department and perhaps a precinct designation?

Ours weren't marked with anything except wear and tear.    

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coolness!  I am rapidly becomming a bigger and bigger sig fan.  

Could it be that the SIG will win my faith over the Alter of Glock?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Funny thing- I recognize the Sig, the range background, and even the table that you laid the guns on to photograph. I have one of the TPD Sigs also and I have been real happy with it. I bought four more mags for it through CDNN Investments.com and have had good performance. Bring it out on the second Saturday of each month and shoot a SEPSA match with us! Take it easy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on your new 226!
Sigs are my favorite..
+10 on thumbs on the slide release.
Also try TW25B grease on the slide rails and barrel. A sample tube now comes with many Sigs. This grease is Super! Its a high load synthetic grease and works in temperature extremes. I rub it into the rails using a Q-Tip. Don't need much..
It wouldn't hurt to get new mag springs and they are easy to change on 226 mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coolness!  I am rapidly becomming a bigger and bigger sig fan.  

Could it be that the SIG will win my faith over the Alter of Glock?

Glock and Sig are two completely different animals. Having said that I have owned both, and still own several Sigs, no Glocks.  Really the grip angle is different, ergos different. But if you carry CCW and you like the Sig ergos/controls you should try the Sig P239. Very comfortable to carry, way slimmer than the P226. LIghter too. Reliable as a rock as well. You'd want to put the hogue grips on it as he grips are small for big hands, but this is one reason why it carries so well - you don't have the big but of the P226 sticking out and  I only carry it when the weather is colder and clothing is bulkier.printing against your shirt/jacket. I don't have a P226 but I have a P220 which is exactly the same dimensions/weight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys were right about my thumbs.  Everyone else who has shot it has had no problems with it at all.  

Once I took my fat ass thumbs off the slide release the problem was resolved.  

I LOVE this gun.  

Can anyone recommend a good carry holster?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top