Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2002 6:58:09 PM EDT
Would it be safe to shoot hollowpoints, ect through a good condition WW II 1911A1 .45 ACP?

The only stuff I've shot through it so far is CCI Blazer 230 grain TMJ and Winchester Pistol Ball 230 grain FMJ. Thanks!

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:03:41 PM EDT
Sure.

The only issue you might have is getting them to feed in a stock milspc 1911. A big hollowpoint will probably hang up on the feedramp.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:06:57 PM EDT
They'll feed with no problem. Trust the good ole American Iron
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:54:36 AM EDT

They'll feed with no problem. Trust the good ole American Iron

That's just not true. I have a very nice WWII era 1911 in my collection. It will feed hardball, and some 230 gr hollowpoints, primarily the ones with a small cavity. It won't feed the widemouth 200gr hollowpoints at all.

And this behavior isn't unusual. I've seen dozens of 1911's over the years that exhibit the same behavior. Of course, a light smoothing of the feedramp with emory cloth almost always solves the problem, but if you want to leave the gun pristine, you don't do that. If it's a shooter, polish that sucker

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 7:19:19 AM EDT
I have a 1944 vintage Colt.. Polished the ramp, and dropped a surplus chrome lined barrel in..No angles were changed,polishing being the idea.. IT will feed near anything..I see no reason why with a little effort a similar pistol cannot perform as well..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:55:20 PM EDT
The older 1911's were just not intended to be fired with hollowpoint ammo. Some guys may get it to feed reliably, but I wouldn't risk my life by using it in a self defense situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:10:22 AM EDT
A lot of the old classics were around well before hollowpoints...P-38s, BHPs and the 1911s.
If you do not wish to purchase a barrel or alter the one thats in the gun, best option would be to find a less aggressive hollowpoint that comes as close in shape to a hardball, avoiding the "flying ashtrays" and "garbage cans".
Safety should not be a problem, +Ps notwithstanding, as they will accelerate wear and you would need a stronger recoil spring and/or recoil buffer to protect from battering.
My 1918 Colt would feed anything once I opened up the non original barrel.
Magazine lips design play a part too, of course.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:12:18 AM EDT
I guess I just stick with FMJ or TMJ for defense shooting. I guess if the Winchester stuff I had was good enough to drop a hopped up Vietnamese guerrilla it can take out most bad guys.

I don't want to fiddle around with the gun as it actually isn't mine. It was borrowed for shooting and other uses.
CRC
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:28:52 AM EDT
The .45 ACP even in hardball is quite respectable as it is.
I usually put one on the top of the magazine, even in hollowpoint friendly guns, just to ensure the whole string will succeed, uneventfully.
I wouldn't want the one in a million "choke" to happen before getting off the first shot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:20:15 PM EDT
Try Federal 230-gr HydraShoks. They should feed, even through an unaltered GI .45, and they are far and away better stoppers than ball ammo. The three most important things, of course, are "Placement, placement, placement."
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:07:15 AM EDT
how about powerball ammo or federal Expanding FMJ looks like ball but expands.

how do you polish the feed ramp and what is emory cloth?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:17:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2002 9:21:46 AM EDT by mr_wilson]

Originally Posted By used_kahr_carrier:
Try Federal 230-gr HydraShoks. They should feed, even through an unaltered GI .45, and they are far and away better stoppers than ball ammo. The three most important things, of course, are "Placement, placement, placement."

Ditto DaveC comments above on this response too, "That's just not true". Sorry "used", but these are one round that unmodified old 1911s don't like, (too flat at the nose, they tend to hang).

In my experience the old Winchester Silver-tips, Cor-Bon 230 HPs and the new Rem. Gold-Dots will probably give ya the best chance at reliability as they all have very rounded noses. As others have stated above best to have feed ramp throated and polished.

Mike

how do you polish the feed ramp and what is emory cloth?

Best done by competent gunsmith, any decent jewelry store will sell ya some emory cloth, used in final polishing of metal to a mirror surface. You can even buy bits for Dremel type tools that have emory disks for same purpose.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2002 11:48:48 AM EDT by SeventhFleet]
They may not feed well in an unaltered 1911A-1 and you can take that to the bank. Some however will, like the 185 Silvertips and Remington HP's because they have the same profile as a hard ball round.

However you will most likely begin to have problems, when you try the 200 grain JHP flying ash trays from Speer in your pistol. To make them feed properly you'll need to have your barrel ramped and throated and no they won't hurt your pistol...

7th
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2002 11:39:10 AM EDT by Minuteman419]
I had trouble with my 1924 Colt Transitional 1911A1 Model with Starfire 230 gr. hollowpoints. Come to think of it, my Kimber Compact Custom didn't feed them very well either. Hornady XTP's feed in both.

I stay away from all +P loads however, just something I do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:16:40 PM EDT
ANY NON+P AMMO IS FINE FOR THE WEAPON, I WOULD SAY A THROAT AND POLISH WITH EXTRACTOR ADJUSTMENT IS THE CURE FOR ANY OF THE HOLLOW POINT NON-FEEDING PROBLEMS, WHEN DONE PROPERLY IT WILL FEED A EMPTY CASE FROM THE MAG.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:25:20 PM EDT
My two year old Springfield 1911a1 will not feed hollow points. Anyting I can do about it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:30:02 PM EDT
Use hardball or the try the new Expanding Full metal jacket from federal.

Ball ammo in a .45 has worked long before there were hollow points, that's why the .45 was created.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:47:27 PM EDT
My OLD Colt M1911 (Made in 1918) will feed small cavity HP's with reasonable reliability, but for practical reasons it eats only hardball and never has any problems at all with it.

I think the problem that some .45's have with feeding HP ammo (and other non rounded bullets) is just that the .45 round has just too close an aspect ratio. Its ratio of diameter to case length doesn't help it to feed ammo that isn't round nosed. The .45 probably has the closest aspect ratio of any round in common service.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:12:28 PM EDT
It isn't a GI gun, but my unaltered Series '70 (made in '75) runs fine on the Winchester 'white box' 230 gr. JHP, using USGI mags.

While they didn't test the .45, the 9mm 'white box' JHP tested at www.ammolab.com/9mm_section1.htm seems to expand as well as most others.
Top Top