Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2005 11:33:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2005 11:34:23 AM EDT by bfieldburt]
I have a friend who wants to buy a Walther P22. You can buy it with a 3.4" barrel, a 5" barrel, or get both for about $70 more. What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
I'd go with the short barrel. The long one doesn't give you anything accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:34:06 PM EDT
Buy the package deal with both barrels and your question is answered.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
Long barrel gives higher velocity. Doesn't matter unless you're going to be trying to make long-distance shots, higher velocity means flatter trajectory and slightly longer effective range, but in the case of a .22 pistol, I doubt this is much of an issue. Try to get a chance to play with both and see which you like better, or get both
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:49:13 PM EDT
I bought the combo with both barrels. Both were very accurate.

IMHO get the combo and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:27:06 PM EDT
I'd get both...$75 is chump change to have the flexibility, but personally, the 3.43 inch barrel seems more natural for the gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 6:30:33 AM EDT
How is the reliability of the P22 now? Awhile back it seemed guys had some problems with them, magazine related.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 10:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/22/2005 1:48:10 PM EDT by adair_usmc]

Originally Posted By BOBK48:
How is the reliability of the P22 now? Awhile back it seemed guys had some problems with them, magazine related.

Just look at the numbers on the magazine, if they have a -A after them, then they are the new, problem free mags. Also, look for the serial number to begin with the letter N, or a letter higher on the alphabet.

I have a 5" and a 3" model, both are very accurate. Not quite as good as my buckmark, but very good for a plinking pistol. I have a little over 3,000 rounds in the 5", and over 6,000 through the 3.4", with no problems at all, will all types of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:26:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Originally Posted By BOBK48:

Just look at the numbers on the magazine, if they have a -A after them, then they are the new, problem free mags. Also, look for the serial number to begin with the letter N, or a letter higher on the alphabet.

I have a 5" and a 3" model, both are very accurate. Not quite as good as my buckmark, but very good for a plinking pistol. I have a little over 3,000 rounds in the 5", and over 6,000 through the 3.4", with no problems at all, will all types of ammo.

Okay, I just picked up a P22 the other week. The mags say "-A" but the serial number starts with "L". I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it much. Is there anything I should be aware of problem wise?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:35:07 AM EDT
I had nothing but problems with mine. Even sent it back to Walther and had a bunch of stuff replaced. I could not recommend this gun to a friend.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:35:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fq1234:
Okay, I just picked up a P22 the other week. The mags say "-A" but the serial number starts with "L". I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it much. Is there anything I should be aware of problem wise?

Thanks.

Maybe I got lucky. I got the chance to run about 200 rounds of cheap walmart bulk Federals through it with 0 problems or malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
I have the long barreled version and wish I had gotten the shorter barreled one. For as light as the gun is, the long barrel really throws the balance off in my opinion. I have not had a single function problem with mine. The only bit of advice I can give you is to make sure the set screw at the top front is not coming loose as you are shooting. Mine did and the front bushing started coming off in the middle of a string of fire. I didn't notice it until I was done firing and the gun looked like it was out of battery even thought it wasn't. I now have a scored barrel where the screw started riding out of the hole, and I don't know if it will stay in place because I haven't shot the gun since that happened.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:53:59 AM EDT
Get Both
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:37:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:
Get Both

+1...however the 3.whatever inch barrel is better. I had the long version and while it was fun, it would have preferred the teeny version.
Top Top