User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right on!  Bold move posting a video.  

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m only trying to help. You and I suffer for the same problem. You have a lot of unnecessary upper body movement in your draw. Don’t drop your shoulder when drawing your gun and don’t droop/slump your upper body on presentation. Those are hard habits to break. Ask me how I know. .

“Speed through efficiency and technique. Being ahead will always be the fastest.”  -Scott Jedlinski
View Quote

Not taken the wrong way at all!  I can see what you saw too!  It’s amazing what you see when things are reviewed.  

I’m weird - I dry fire every morning with my coffee. I have for the last 457 days. Over 147 thousand pulls of the trigger. Today, working on unfucking my draw will be part of that!

There’s reasons I don’t have problems posting videos. One is that someone notices something, as you did, it can help. Its fun  to watch someone fuck up. Plus it just may motivate some other people to get out and shoot!  You know. “…look at that old fuck, I can shoot better than him!”

I like this drill.  It’s isn’t overly ammo intensive and I can see some benefit to it.

ETA: Plus doing a video I can’t plug away slowly at 7 yards, post a picture and say, “I’m a Grand Freakin Master!”

I say 7 yards because in nearly every red dot thread someone invariably posts about the “average gunfight being at less than 7 yards” and shooting any further is wasted time and effort.  

I do know this, if I’m involved in anymore gunplay it’s not going to be average. I’m going to be involved, not some FBI statistic! It won’t be average for me at all!

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the driving force behind me recording myself as well . Critiquing bad habits.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's the driving force behind me recording myself as well . Critiquing bad habits.

View Quote

It’s also a little bit of a stress inoculation thing too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought I’d get out again today and dig my failure even deeper!

Just for fun…

I didn’t hear the next to the last shot hit, but it must have.  There was a hit on the target.  I’m not sure if it was picked up on the video or not?

ETA :Times

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought I’d get out again today and dig my failure even deeper!

Just for fun…

I didn’t hear the next to the last shot hit, but it must have.  There was a hit on the target.  I’m not sure if it was picked up on the video or not?

ETA :Times

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/2191EA82-9C20-41CA-92F8-01C51CCC940C_jpe-2354738.JPG
View Quote

That was awesome!  “On this forum there’s thousands of people and there’s at least, what, six that shoot?”  

Nice to see you out shooting and having what is obviously a genuinely good time.  

I to have a backyard range. Guy was supposed to come over next Monday and improve my backstop. I had a 7.62x39 round go over the bank and scare the neighbor. Not cool. But he called back today and his price quote is twice what I have budgeted. I need to make some more calls. Grrrrrr.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was awesome!  “On this forum there’s thousands of people and there’s at least, what, six that shoot?”  

Nice to see you out shooting and having what is obviously a genuinely good time.  

I to have a backyard range. Guy was supposed to come over next Monday and improve my backstop. I had a 7.62x39 round go over the bank and scare the neighbor. Not cool. But he called back today and his price quote is twice what I have budgeted. I need to make some more calls. Grrrrrr.
View Quote

Thanks!  I’m a pretty boring guy.  I don’t drink, smoke or gamble. Shooting and maintaining a modicum of fitness is kind of my thing. So yes, I do have a good time when I shoot!  

Yeah, maybe I get a little too snarky about others shooting habits. . It’s always disappointing when there’s a thread like this and there’s always the same handful of usual suspects participating. But yet, there’s always claims of “MOA all day”with rifles and sub 2” groups at 25 yards with handguns  with very little proof of either.  

I know I’ll never be a Grand Master or anything like that, but at least I’m out there giving it a shot and trying to improve when most guys my age are more worried about sports ball and remembering to take their meds.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT to spur interest for the other 5 people that shoot on ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BTT to spur interest for the other 5 people that shoot on ARFCOM!
View Quote

Make it 6 that shoot.
Going to work on developing my video skills as I haven't ever recorded myself. Nor tried this any part of this challenge.

On a different note, what holster are you using in your video?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Make it 6 that shoot.
Going to work on developing my video skills as I haven't ever recorded myself. Nor tried this any part of this challenge.

View Quote

Bravo Concealment for both the G19 & G43X

Ha! Don’t worry about video quality, I pretty much suck at it!  I just prop the camera up and go to it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ha! Don’t worry about video quality, I pretty much suck at it!  I just prop the camera up and go to it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make it 6 that shoot.

That's all I do. Tricky part is finding something stable and level out in the woods where I shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]Quoted:[b]

That's all I do. Tricky part is finding something stable and level out in the woods where I shoot.
View Quote

Even when I have something stable, my vids still suck!

Today’s “Meh” effort.  It was still fun!

ETA:  forgot to add my times

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back at ya! ??
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Back at ya! ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back at ya! ??

I only had enough time for 37rds of chronographing before work today. My last couple trips to the woods have been strictly load development. Next time will be for some drills.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great video, man.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I only had enough time for 37rds of chronographing before work today. My last couple trips to the woods have been strictly load development. Next time will be for some drills.
View Quote

What are you chronoing?  I was doing the same  earlier in the week.  I finally got my suppressor for my 338.

It rings the steel a little more than a 9mm!

Nothing like 300 gr of hate going at 2700 fps!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Great video, man.
View Quote

Great because I make everyone else look better!

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great because I make everyone else look better!

View Quote

You ain't no slouch lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What are you chronoing?  I was doing the same  earlier in the week.  I finally got my suppressor for my 338.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.357 and .45.

Ive picked up some new powders 231 for .45 and Enforcer for .357.

Nice
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

.357 and .45.

Nice
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif
View Quote

I never used Enforcer before, but 231 / HP38 has always been good for me when I shot 45s a lot. I’m kind of an old dude, 2400 is my go to for 357 & 44.

ETA:  When I was doing a lot of holster testing for my department and doing a lot of shooting - quite a bit on my own dime, it was the bho years and powders were scarce. You had to use what you could find.  I started shooting Alliant, American Select in my 45s.  It is a clean burning powder.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I never used Enforcer before, but 231 / HP38 has always been good for me when I shot 45s a lot. I’m kind of an old dude, 2400 is my go to for 357 & 44.

ETA:  When I was doing a lot of holster testing for my department and doing a lot of shooting - quite a bit on my own dime, it was the bho years and powders were scarce. You had to use what you could find.  I started shooting Alliant, American Select in my 45s.  It is a clean burning powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.357 and .45.

Nice
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

Yeah, I've never used enforcer either but I got 4lbs for $100 so that should keep me in .357 for a while. The 231 is my .38 wadcutter powder but I recently ran out of be-86 which has been my favorite .45 powder.

I'm not getting the speed I normally get with 200gr swc but it's still major so I guess it'll be good for practice and competitions.

I still have 2 full ammo cans of 200gr swc over be-86@1000fps which is actually whats in my carry guns right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've never used enforcer either but I got 4lbs for $100 so that should keep me in .357 for a while. The 231 is my .38 wadcutter powder but I recently ran out of be-86 which has been my favorite .45 powder.

I'm not getting the speed I normally get with 200gr swc but it's still major so I guess it'll be good for practice and competitions.

I still have 2 full ammo cans of 200gr swc over be-86@1000fps which is actually whats in my carry guns right now.
View Quote

I always wanted to try BE-86, but it’s been scarce around here for about a year and a half, two years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I always wanted to try BE-86, but it’s been scarce around here for about a year and a half, two years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I had gotten an 8lbs jug from powder valley right before covid and finally ran out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, not at my best today. Shot it cold. Trying to switch from a G19 to a Sig P320 X Carry with compact grip and an SRO.

Times were.

2.63 - one miss

Whadayado?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, not at my best today. Shot it cold. Trying to switch from a G19 to a Sig P320 X Carry with compact grip and an SRO.

Times were.

2.63 - one miss

Whadayado?
View Quote

Good job
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Times were.

2.63 - one miss

Whadayado?
View Quote

Nice !
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Glad you guys are keeping this thread alive! Ive been swamped with life. Finally getting back into it. Shot a 2 gun match this weekend with my Roland Special. First match it’s seen. Ive been doing lots of dry fire practice lately. Came home after work today and ran a few drills. Here are the results:

1.96 1 miss
1.62 miss

1.97 1 miss

Grip is definitely a major part of my problem. I think I prefer the grip angle of a Glock 17 over the 19. Regardless, I’m not getting a consistent grip on the gun coming out of the holster. This is a major issue I’m seeing. My times are not that bad, but it feels chaotic and out of control many times. I could slow it down a bit and likely get good hits.

More practice to follow. I love seeing your results. If anything, if we can inspire others just to try the drill and go out and shoot this thread is worth it!

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Glad you guys are keeping this thread alive! Ive been swamped with life. Finally getting back into it. Shot a 2 gun match this weekend with my Roland Special. First match it’s seen. Ive been doing lots of dry fire practice lately. Came home after work today and ran a few drills. Here are the results:

1.96 1 miss
1.62 miss

1.97 1 miss

https://i.imgur.com/Sj8XNMW.jpg

Grip is definitely a major part of my problem. I think I prefer the grip angle of a Glock 17 over the 19. Regardless, I’m not getting a consistent grip on the gun coming out of the holster. This is a major issue I’m seeing. My times are not that bad, but it feels chaotic and out of control many times. I could slow it down a bit and likely get good hits.

More practice to follow. I love seeing your results. If anything, if we can inspire others just to try the drill and go out and shoot this thread is worth it!

https://i.imgur.com/jqKQRx2.jpg
View Quote

G45 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1.96 1 miss
1.62 miss

1.97 1 miss

View Quote

Hell yes!  Strong work.

I hear you in the grip. My best times are with a full sized Glock grip. As mentioned, it might work for you. The G45 is perfect for me and suspect you’d like it if fits your needs. For some damn reason I asked the gun counter guy to let me fondle a Sig P320 X-5 Legion a few months ago and then my world changed. Long story…and I’m pretty frustrated with Sig after many many years of shenanigans. Then I bought the X-Carry. So, now I’m having to switch over and the dot is not where I think it should be. I need the dot to drop from 12:00 but I’m coming in too low. That damn Glock grip angle. I just need more reps.  

Hope to shoot the Air Marshall qual soon. I built another target stand but really need the excavator guy to get here to improve and flatten out my backyard range so things can sit level and safe. Soon. Very soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

1.96 1 miss
1.62 miss

1.97 1 miss

View Quote

I’m glad that you started this thread!  

I shot 3 gun for years. As one of the match directors, I eventually got tired of gun club politics / Fudds and gave it up.  However, I miss the competition and the fellowship.  I still shoot at least weekly. Doing stuff like this helps fill that void a little.

I’m all in on the inspiring others too. As a gun community, whatever we can do to get others to work on their proficiency is good.  That’s why I decided to do videos.  I’m not a young guy, if people see me out there at least trying, sometimes doing ok, others, not so much, they might go out the door saying, “I can do better than that…”

Maybe we should consider doing some type of monthly drill challenge?

….well, for the 6 or 7 on the forum that shoot more than twice a year…

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I shot 3 gun for years. As one of the match directors, I eventually got tired of gun club politics / Fudds and gave it up.  However, I miss the competition and the fellowship.  I still shoot at least weekly. Doing stuff like this helps fill that void a little.

I’m all in on the inspiring others too. As a gun community, whatever we can do to get others to work on their proficiency is good.  That’s why I decided to do videos.  I’m not a young guy, if people see me out there at least trying, sometimes doing ok, others, not so much, they might go out the door saying, “I can do better than that…”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.96 1 miss
1.62 miss

1.97 1 miss

I’m game every month a new drill. Keep all of us having a bit of friendly competition to drive us to train a bit more. Hitting the range this morning after I shoot the ArfFAM I’ll give this a whirl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hell yes!  Strong work.

I hear you in the grip. My best times are with a full sized Glock grip. As mentioned, it might work for you. The G45 is perfect for me and suspect you’d like it if fits your needs. For some damn reason I asked the gun counter guy to let me fondle a Sig P320 X-5 Legion a few months ago and then my world changed. Long story…and I’m pretty frustrated with Sig after many many years of shenanigans. Then I bought the X-Carry. So, now I’m having to switch over and the dot is not where I think it should be. I need the dot to drop from 12:00 but I’m coming in too low. That damn Glock grip angle. I just need more reps.  

Hope to shoot the Air Marshall qual soon. I built another target stand but really need the excavator guy to get here to improve and flatten out my backyard range so things can sit level and safe. Soon. Very soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hell yes!  Strong work.

I really hate to admit that I like the P320s. I really like them though. I prefer the Glock grip angle, but that's just because of what I'm used to. I also had some bad experiences with Sig and I swore them off after my P226.

I like the G45, but I think my perfect Glock is a 17. I'd like a G45, but my grip is so high, I ride the slide stop bad. The Gen5 slide stops protrude out more than the Gen1-4s, so I either need to change my grip (which likely won't happen) or keep shooting older Glocks. I do really really like the Gen5 Glocks. I traded my Gen5 G17 for a Gen4 G17 because of that stupid slide stop. I thought about the Kagwerks slide stop or just cutting it down, but I thought it'd be easier to go back to Gen4.

Dots certainly show how many reps you've got under your belt. I've seen plenty of guys draw their guns in USPSA or Steel Challenge only to go searching for the dot. They'd do much better with irons for a little while until their reps build their memory.

Quoted:

That's a good idea! It would be fun just to try new drills. I've been following this guy on Youtube . His videos have given me a lot of enthusiasm to shoot more paper and work on reps. It's really amazing to see experts shoot. It gives me something to strive for.

I like seeing your shooting videos. Always good to get practice in! Seems like reloading components are becoming more plentiful, so that is very encouraging.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I really hate to admit that I like the P320s. I really like them though. I prefer the Glock grip angle, but that's just because of what I'm used to. I also had some bad experiences with Sig and I swore them off after my P226.

I like the G45, but I think my perfect Glock is a 17. I'd like a G45, but my grip is so high, I ride the slide stop bad. The Gen5 slide stops protrude out more than the Gen1-4s, so I either need to change my grip (which likely won't happen) or keep shooting older Glocks. I do really really like the Gen5 Glocks. I traded my Gen5 G17 for a Gen4 G17 because of that stupid slide stop. I thought about the Kagwerks slide stop or just cutting it down, but I thought it'd be easier to go back to Gen4.

Dots certainly show how many reps you've got under your belt. I've seen plenty of guys draw their guns in USPSA or Steel Challenge only to go searching for the dot. They'd do much better with irons for a little while until their reps build their memory.

That's a good idea! It would be fun just to try new drills. I've been following this guy on Youtube . His videos have given me a lot of enthusiasm to shoot more paper and work on reps. It's really amazing to see experts shoot. It gives me something to strive for.

I like seeing your shooting videos. Always good to get practice in! Seems like reloading components are becoming more plentiful, so that is very encouraging.
View Quote

I like that youtube channel. Thanks for sharing it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Really tried to push it to get used to the cadence of the drills. Here are some impressive times, but lots of embarrassing misses:

Back to the Glock 17

Cold
2.35 2 misses

1.65 1 miss
1.08 miss
1.57 miss

1.69 1 miss
1.95 1 miss

1.73 2 misses
1.98 1 miss

Happy shooting fellas!
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Those Black Belt standards are no joke.  I have taken the 3 day MSP class twice, both with G19's w/RMR's from AIWB.  The first class I passed one standard (3/2), and in the second barely squeeked the 25 yard (but did NOT pass the damn 3/2).  In both my classes, I think a couple of folks may have passed 2 of the standards.  I would flunk them all right now.  I need to get my butt back to the range.  My hat is off to those folks who can consistently meet those standards.  It is a great class, and I learned a lot both times.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Hit it again today!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice shooting Henny.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Really tried to push it to get used to the cadence of the drills. Here are some impressive times, but lots of embarrassing misses:

Back to the Glock 17

Cold
2.35 2 misses

1.65 1 miss
1.08 miss
1.57 miss

1.69 1 miss
1.95 1 miss

1.73 2 misses
1.98 1 miss

Happy shooting fellas!
View Quote

Shooting it and working on it more then lots of folks are doing calling your misses like that makes you want it harder next time!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nice shooting Henny.
View Quote

Thanks!   I’ll try again this week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I’m the only one that shot this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/81983B8A-864D-43B1-B501-80222C56F678-89.jpg

I’m the only one that shot this weekend?
View Quote

Absolutely not! I shot a 2gun match. Didn’t try the standards again though.

Been focusing on dry firing the 25yard 1.5second drill. It’s tough, but with a quick enough draw, seems like it’s totally doable with a good grip

ETA: I managed to come in 5th out of 51 shooters. I’m pretty sure no one else ran a red dot on their rifle or a weapon light hahaha… gamers
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Absolutely not! I shot a 2gun match. Didn’t try the standards again though.

Been focusing on dry firing the 25yard 1.5second drill. It’s tough, but with a quick enough draw, seems like it’s totally doable with a good grip
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I was out again today.

In the rain.  

Times sucked. My one batch of powder coated bullets caused some feeding issues. It was a new powder coating and it took a little bit to adjust the thickness.

I’ll plunk test my ammo the next time before doing this!

Yeah, I just realized I didn’t have my shooting glasses on…..WTF?  I know….

Part 2

ETA: Times
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Planning on it tomorrow.

I'm hoping the paper side of the pistol section of my range is not filled with people slowing me down or shooting while I'm running the timer. Last time I went out, a bunch of 3%'ers took up the entire paper pistol range and part of the steel range.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Planning on it tomorrow.

I'm hoping the paper side of the pistol section of my range is not filled with people slowing me down or shooting while I'm running the timer. Last time I went out, a bunch of 3%'ers took up the entire paper pistol range and part of the steel range.
View Quote

Finally ran the drill. Fun and challenging. I love going fast.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: all done with this setup
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Good job!

Much better than my rolling catastrophe!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good job!

Much better than my rolling catastrophe!
View Quote

Haha! Thanks, it was good fun running it.

Low round count and relatively easy to setup and shoot.

A lot easier than setting up an El Prez or Accelerator.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Great shooting man! You smoked that 3x2 drill. To get those times clean is very good!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Double post
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great shooting man! You smoked that 3x2 drill. To get those times clean is very good!
View Quote

Thanks!

Honestly, I think 3 yards is way too close for drills other than dot torture. The 3"x5" card is huge that close.

I guess it helps I train at 10 and 25 yards lol.

Edit: I love shooting Mozambiques, so it was an easy transition for me. I normally practice Mozambiques at 15 yards.

Cleaning time.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top