Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By carbface:
380's performance with modern ammo isn't that far off from the 9mm. and i don't much care about the ~2 inch average penetration difference, if my attacker is taking 380 auto rounds center mass with no effect, a 9mm isn't going to do much either. he's probably wearing a vest and i need to aim for the head. and the reduced recoil of the 380 round allows me quicker follow up to his head.

in fact my sig p238 hd(steel frame instead of aluminum) has almost no felt recoil. it feels like a 22. this means increased accuracy and faster follow up shots on target.

i cannot see any scenario in which the 9mm would be more able to stop someone than the 380 in the sense that someone would regret not carrying a 40 cal instead of a 9mm. the difference in deadliness just isn't there to justify the increased recoil of the 9x19

9x19 is the most overrated of all the 9mm. 380 auto is optimal balanced perfection between recoil and power

outside of niche uses like hunting and defense against wild animals, i don't see the point in any caliber about 380 auto for the average civilian self defender. luger made a round for the military and i still think it's most suited in that environment
View Quote

It's not about deadliness. It's about penetration

If I was stuck with a .380 I'd use buffalo bores hardcast load.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MRW:
but how does 380 do against 38 Special?
View Quote

Depends on the load. There's a lot of .38 loads that are close to .380s. There's also .38s that blow it out of the water and beat 9mm too in terms of energy and penetration.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Just my .02

If you are comparing the typical .38 platform to typical .380 platform weight is important.

A Glock 42 is a lightweight so don't compare it to a S&W 36 but instead go with an Airweight or AirLite 642 or 342

That said, the Airweight and AirLite guns cant shoot some of the best performing .38 loads.

The recoil in the light J-frames will often unseat the bullet from the casing of rounds in the cylinder and lock the gun.

In my light J-frames I stick to a jacketed hollowpoint that I've tested thoroughly like Gold Dot 135gr +P
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By carbface:
380's performance with modern ammo isn't that far off from the 9mm. and i don't much care about the ~2 inch average penetration difference, if my attacker is taking 380 auto rounds center mass with no effect, a 9mm isn't going to do much either. he's probably wearing a vest and i need to aim for the head. and the reduced recoil of the 380 round allows me quicker follow up to his head.

in fact my sig p238 hd(steel frame instead of aluminum) has almost no felt recoil. it feels like a 22. this means increased accuracy and faster follow up shots on target.

i cannot see any scenario in which the 9mm would be more able to stop someone than the 380 in the sense that someone would regret not carrying a 40 cal instead of a 9mm. the difference in deadliness just isn't there to justify the increased recoil of the 9x19

9x19 is the most overrated of all the 9mm. 380 auto is optimal balanced perfection between recoil and power

outside of niche uses like hunting and defense against wild animals, i don't see the point in any caliber about 380 auto for the average civilian self defender. luger made a round for the military and i still think it's most suited in that environment
View Quote

One of the driving factors that made the world realize again that penetration mattered was when a bullet striking a man in the chest failed to penetrate the heart it missed the penetration mark by something like one inch. He lived long enough to injure and kill other people and took 11 more rounds in the process. There is absolutely zero guarantee your target will be squared off to you offering a chest shot, there is also zero guarantee your bullet won’t also pass through a arm or some type of barrier first. I would give up all expansion at the cost of penetration if that’s what it took to get reliable penetration. If I were limiting myself to 380 I would use either hard cast or flat nose FMJ. Under ideal circumstances I think 380 is wholly adequate and provides plenty of performance. The issue is if your in a situation needing to shoot someone the circumstances are no longer ideal there about as far from it as possible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
By the way, I went and inspected every revolver at my local shop.  Holy smokes, the new Colt Cobra was tight and had the best trigger of anything in the shop, including a ridiculous $1800 "custom" S&W with ports and Pic rails.

If I had money for the Cobra, I would have bought it on the spot
View Quote

Indeed, the 2017 Colt Cobra is sweet.
And it is fun to shoot, unlike pretty much all the other snubnose options available.

This is because of its "non-airweight" design.....all steel, plus 6 shots.
However, for daily carry, it's a bit heavy because of all this.

In fact, it's slightly heavier fully loaded than a loaded G26, a pistol with a good bit more firepower; 10 vs 6.

It is also slightly larger in overall dimensions than the G26.

I love my Cobra and I like the idea of the traditional .38Spl snubnose.
AND I handload all my ammunition and am fully edumacated as to the possibilities of the .38Spl cartridge.

But in my carry arsenal, the Cobra is relegated to back up for the back up.

Behind the G26 for EDC, and behind the G42 for deep concealment (7 vs 6).

BTW, FWIW Hornady's 90gr HP XTP for the .380Auto can be handloaded to 1,000fps for a reliable 16" of penetration (albeit with questionable expansion).
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Coolio:

Indeed, the 2017 Colt Cobra is sweet.
And it is fun to shoot, unlike pretty much all the other snubnose options available.

This is because of its "non-airweight" design.....all steel, plus 6 shots.
However, for daily carry, it's a bit heavy because of all this.

In fact, it's slightly heavier fully loaded than a loaded G26, a pistol with a good bit more firepower; 10 vs 6.

It is also slightly larger in overall dimensions than the G26.

I love my Cobra and I like the idea of the traditional .38Spl snubnose.
AND I handload all my ammunition and am fully edumacated as to the possibilities of the .38Spl cartridge.

But in my carry arsenal, the Cobra is relegated to back up for the back up.

Behind the G26 for EDC, and behind the G42 for deep concealment (7 vs 6).

BTW, FWIW Hornady's 90gr HP XTP for the .380Auto can be handloaded to 1,000fps for a reliable 16" of penetration (albeit with questionable expansion).
View Quote

Reliable penetration in gel maybe.
The problem with trying to go as small and as low power as possible is that you have no reserve in the event of hitting bone or any number of other things that might be on or in a persons pockets. Sternum & ribs offer small amounts of resistance but an extended arm (holding a pipe or a gun or whatever) can impede small bullets quite a bit.
People who want to carry the smallest/lightest/lowest powered, really aren't going to care about those issues but they are a possibility.
Dogs acting poorly are pretty easy to kill with any service type chambering, but the smaller cartridges have much slower & sometimes no effect on belligerant 30 lb animals.
I haven't figured out how to stage animals or humans to stand still, in the open, facing me. So I can enjoy perfect bullet performance.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coolio] [#7]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

The problem with trying to go as small and as low power as possible is that you have no reserve in the event of hitting bone or any number of other things that might be on or in a persons pockets. Sternum & ribs offer small amounts of resistance but an extended arm (holding a pipe or a gun or whatever) can impede small bullets quite a bit.
People who want to carry the smallest/lightest/lowest powered, really aren't going to care about those issues but they are a possibility.
Dogs acting poorly are pretty easy to kill with any service type chambering, but the smaller cartridges have much slower & sometimes no effect on belligerant 30 lb animals.
I haven't figured out how to stage animals or humans to stand still, in the open, facing me. So I can enjoy perfect bullet performance.
View Quote

I actually agree with everything you just said.

I don't happen to like .380Auto.

Unfortunately, there are situations were deep concealment is a good idea (and where risk of any violence is also very low).
I'm sympathetic to people who need a way to carry in politically hostile, yet low physical risk environments; certain business environments, college campuses, places where there is no direct state law being violated, but where disclosure of carrying a firearm carries significant occupational risk.

My personal approach is to always be armed.  And one learns useful things about concealed carry by carrying in "difficult" circumstances (as opposed to only those situations where it is easy or convenient).
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
it's about the choice...both will do the job

pocket carry in the sweat pants - LCP380 in Desantis pocket holster, extra high cap mag - 14 rounds of Buffalo Bore 380 +p

don't feel like Glock 19 MOS but have a belt and want to look dapper - Colt Detective Special in a nice leather pancake holster with a speed loader  - 12 rounds of Federal Hydra-shock 38 Special +P

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#9]

Unfortunately, there are situations were deep concealment is a good idea (and where risk of any violence is also very low).
I'm sympathetic to people who need a way to carry in politically hostile, yet low physical risk environments; certain business environments, college campuses, places where there is no direct state law being violated, but where disclosure of carrying a firearm carries significant occupational risk.

My personal approach is to always be armed.  And one learns useful things about concealed carry by carrying in "difficult" circumstances (as opposed to only those situations where it is easy or convenient).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

I'm on board, rule #1 and all that.
I'd rather face the zombies with a group of people carrying sub munition .380's than a group of "I don't carry as much as I should" unarmed types looking for a stapler to throw

It's interesting to "gun people" to discuss the finer points, but having a gun (and being able to hit with it) is a large part of the battle.

edit: I sympathize with those that work or move about in non permissive environments but STILL, carry a gun. Good on them.
To those folks, the discussions about THE best ammo available in tiny guns really count. I'm happy to not be in that situation but I go full force for those people being armed as best they can. All the guns, all the time, in good peoples hands
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice Model 10!

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I like to keep the service grips that come on the Smiths.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought some for the K-frame and they didn't fit very well.  I had to do some major sanding to get it into place and does not look all that great.  Oh well, $30
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Bk grips work great for the non stainless guns
I bought some for the K-frame and they didn't fit very well.  I had to do some major sanding to get it into place and does not look all that great.  Oh well, $30

Hmm, I wonder. I was always curious why their adapter says it's for both round and square butts. The profile is different.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MRW:  I bought a used French Police Ruger SP101 off gunbroker, 3" , 38 Spl.  It has dorky grips. $425.

good buy?  It fills a gap between the 4" and 2" Smiths.  It was that or the Taurus 856 for $75 less.
View Quote

Sounds decent.  Not likely the French put serious wear on the bbl, and the rest of the gun is a tank.  Curious what you think of the DA trigger, I hadn't shot DA revolvers in a long time before I got my 9mm 101, it's a heavy trigger.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I added some Altamont Grips from their "old stock/seconds" GB account

https://i.imgur.com/FbtejAf.jpg
View Quote

Nice. I really like the ones on the 36.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Sounds decent.  Not likely the French put serious wear on the bbl, and the rest of the gun is a tank.  Curious what you think of the DA trigger, I hadn't shot DA revolvers in a long time before I got my 9mm 101, it's a heavy trigger.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:  I bought a used French Police Ruger SP101 off gunbroker, 3" , 38 Spl.  It has dorky grips. $425.

good buy?  It fills a gap between the 4" and 2" Smiths.  It was that or the Taurus 856 for $75 less.

The SP101 is extremely well suited to tuning if your so inclined.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:  The SP101 is extremely well suited to tuning if your so inclined.
View Quote

Good to know.  I'll look into it, have a bit of dryfire into it, which smoothed it out, but not happy w/ the DA.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Good to know.  I'll look into it, have a bit of dryfire into it, which smoothed it out, but not happy w/ the DA.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:  The SP101 is extremely well suited to tuning if your so inclined.

Search SP101 Trigger job Kevin’s Work Bench.

Very well laid out easy to follow procedure using basic stuff. Only thing most folks are likely to need from anyplace other then the local hardware store are shims and springs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Here it is, note the French Crown proof marks.  I replaced the Trausch grips with Houge and like them better.

https://i.imgur.com/PRWzpka.jpg
View Quote

Might be interested in trausch grips if you don’t want to hang on to them
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Allright, I added a M10-10 to the Smith collection.  the 22LR on the bottom I have had for a while

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/9C161DBE-2D75-4F0C-BA36-D9A4807FC3F3-2267735.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Can't fire a 380 ACP out of a .357.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
We already have a rimmed .30 cal magnum.
View Quote

We?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I know - it came too late.  But .30 Super Carry runs on clips.  
View Quote

Or is that magazines?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
.380 is only good for throwing away and buying a real gun.
View Quote

Ask Chad Oulson.  Oh wait, you can’t he’s dead.

With a .380 ACP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:

Or is that magazines?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
I know - it came too late.  But .30 Super Carry runs on clips.  

Or is that magazines?  

Both.  Just like 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MacMunnford] [#34]
gas checked 158gr swchp 1115 fps out of 1-7/8" barrel is what

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MRW:  Okay, now I need a 38  levergun.

Are there any semi-autos that chamber 38 Special?
I know the Desert Eagle was chambered in 357.
View Quote

Apparently running .38 SPL in a .357 levergun can be tricky.

Colt had a Gold Cup set up for .38 SPL wadcutters only, as is the S&W 52.  The 52 has a reputation of being finicky.

Coonan had a spring set I believe, maybe even a bbl, to run .38 SPL, albeit I doubt it would run very light loads.

I'm surprised no one's made a .38 SPL bbl for the Desert Eagle as long as it's been out, maybe there's not enough gas to run?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Colt had a Gold Cup set up for .38 SPL wadcutters only, as is the S&W 52.  The 52 has a reputation of being finicky.

Coonan had a spring set I believe, maybe even a bbl, to run .38 SPL, albeit I doubt it would run very light loads.

I'm surprised no one's made a .38 SPL bbl for the Desert Eagle as long as it's been out, maybe there's not enough gas to run?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:  Okay, now I need a 38  levergun.

Are there any semi-autos that chamber 38 Special?
I know the Desert Eagle was chambered in 357.

There were .357 barrels for the Desert Eagles; one of my friends had multiple barrels for his back in the '90s but I don't remember ever shooting .38s in it.

In my limited experience, .38spl works best in lever guns with the smaller, pistol bullet sized receiver than the larger guns, i.e. Winchester 92 sized instead of 94.  My Rossi is smoother with .38s than my grandfather's Winchester; the Winchester will occasionally hang up and you have to kind of jiggle the lever.  The Marlins, at least the older versions I've shot, did not have this problem either that I remember.  I can't recall ever shooting .38s in a Henry.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  There were .357 barrels for the Desert Eagles; one of my friends had multiple barrels for his back in the '90s but I don't remember ever shooting .38s in it.
View Quote

It's still available in .357.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I been lucky with both my Henry and Marlin 357's. They cycle just fine with almost everything that I put in them. As the the Desert Eagle, I had a 44 and a good friend of mine had the 357. They both like heavy bullets and running them as hot as possible. Also no cast lead ever. The manual even told you as much and gave examples of reliable ammo to run. These were both early 90's models.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:  There were .357 barrels for the Desert Eagles; one of my friends had multiple barrels for his back in the '90s but I don't remember ever shooting .38s in it.

Thread drift
Are they still interchangeable?  IIRC, he had a couple of .357 barrels, a .41 and two .44 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Thread drift
Are they still interchangeable?  IIRC, he had a couple of .357 barrels, a .41 and two .44 barrels.
View All Quotes

Thread drift

They've dropped the .41, and the .357 needs a bolt change, but the Mk xix converts to .357, .44, or .50 AE.  They have a couple of versions now that are lightweight state compliant models.  I think their "lightweight" version in 357 could be a hunting gun instead of just a range toy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#42]
How about 147gr hsts at 930 fps?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 03RN:  How about 147gr hsts at 930 fps?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220313_001014_jpg-2315700.JPG
View Quote

That's right at 9x19mm throw, no?  .38 +P?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:  How about 147gr hsts at 930 fps?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220313_001014_jpg-2315700.JPG

Yup
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#45]
After researching for days, I've come to the same conclusion.  Even the used Smith LEO 38's are gone.  I'm looking to get into the cartridge slowly.
View Quote

They're not quite gone, not just yet.

Just a couple of months ago, I bought two Smith & Wesson K frames on this very site for a shade over $600 shipped.

The deals are still out there, but you better be johnny on the spot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Update:

I was in the shop that had the model 36 and I talked them down to $300, so here it is.  
Word is that it came in from a widow that did not know her husband had a gun, and was not happy about it.  She said she had discovered it in a holster that was placed in a loose sock in a drawer.  It has a small bit of pitting on the left side of the barrel and on one spot of the cylinder as seen in the photo- contact points with the holster over 30 years.  I also have the box, papers, and the original price tag of $129.95 from 1976.
I think it has a very low round count.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/EF45620A-4C2F-4369-BBFC-14844B20318B-2243904.jpg

I will have to shoot the snubbie 38 and the 380 G42 side by side now.  We'll see if the 38 lives up to the hype.

If I can't be Crockett, maybe I can be Tubbs
View Quote

That's right around what I paid for my Model 36 more than 16 years ago. Great little revolvers, and with the right grips, very easy to conceal and shoot well.

Yeah, they're only able to take five rounds, but just what kind of high round count firefights is everyone getting in during their daily routines, that they consider less than 30 to 45 rounds of 9mm to be inadequate? Move to a nicer neighborhood or something...
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Depending on use and serial number placement, I'd really be tempted to put one of the Bowen or Webley lanyard loops on that gun.  Yeah, I'm odd that way- I really like Bowen's M1917 Redhawk (who am I kidding, I like almost all of Bowen's creations).  

They're not my favorite grips but years ago I put a set of rubber Hogues on my 686 because they also make a lanyard screw for them and I was using it as a boat/swamp/fishing gun and they were practical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Depending on use and serial number placement, I'd really be tempted to put one of the Bowen or Webley lanyard loops on that gun.  Yeah, I'm odd that way- I really like Bowen's M1917 Redhawk (who am I kidding, I like almost all of Bowen's creations).  

They're not my favorite grips but years ago I put a set of rubber Hogues on my 686 because they also make a lanyard screw for them and I was using it as a boat/swamp/fishing gun and they were practical.
View All Quotes

I've been wanting to add a lanyard to a few guns.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top