Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Supposedly the new Ruger Max 9 is a little easier to rack than normal.  The Walther CCP is often recommended for women with low grip strength.

It might just be easier to buy a slightly larger clutch.  The new enigma holster system looks like a fantastic option as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supposedly the new Ruger Max 9 is a little easier to rack than normal.  The Walther CCP is often recommended for women with low grip strength.

It might just be easier to buy a slightly larger clutch.  The new enigma holster system looks like a fantastic option as well.
View Quote

If the problem is she needs small and can't readily rack the slide, it might be time to decide a smaller gun that you can manipulate and carry all of the time beats the one you can't carry or can't manipulate.  What about one of the  Ruger or Keltec 32 or 380s?    A Beretta Tomcat?   Or even a J frame Smith.   Hard to beat an Aluminum frame S&W 38 if you just need a gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife shot all mine and the store rentals. She chose the MP 9C. Works for her and she shoots it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
What sort of wardrobe are we talking about here?  I'm not the biggest fan of off-body carry, so I'd be looking for deep concealment options, or wardrobe modifications first, rather than committing to carrying off-body.  There are lots of trustworthy small 9mm's out there now, but the difficulty with slide racking is a significant limitation.  As others have mentioned, the Shield EZ and Walther CCP were designed with this in mind, but neither are really small.  The Beretta Tomcat gets rid of the slide racking concern entirely, and is small, but at the expense of only being a .32.  Beretta also used to make a .380 with a tip-up barrel, it was the model 86.  I'm not sure if they still make or import them.  They're not small by today's standards, but again, no slide racking required.

Maybe ask in the Women's Shooters sub-forum.  You might get some good advice from women who have experienced the same wardrobe challenges.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Even with that she struggles on Gen 1 shield.
View Quote

Have her try racking across her body, w/ her standing sideways to the target.  She pushes her arms together, one hand on the grip, the other on the slide.  If that doesn't work, try something hammer fired she can cock 1st, or get a slide racker of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Recoil on that would suck.  I carry my 9mm SP 101 in my zippered jacket pocket.  But one of the last remaining advantages of the revolver is the ability to fire from a pocket or from inside a purse w/o drawing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Recoil on that would suck.  I carry my 9mm SP 101 in my zippered jacket pocket.  But one of the last remaining advantages of the revolver is the ability to fire from a pocket or from inside a purse w/o drawing.

Dont forget no slide to rack and not dependent on grip either.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have her try racking across her body, w/ her standing sideways to the target.  She pushes her arms together, one hand on the grip, the other on the slide.  If that doesn't work, try something hammer fired she can cock 1st, or get a slide racker of some sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Even with that she struggles on Gen 1 shield.

Thats always been my go to method to teach women or older folk. I did find however that the manual of arms is physically easier with revolvers for those same people.

"What about the 10-12lbs trigger pull?"

Honestly its less of an issue than racking the slide.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Thats always been my go to method to teach women or older folk. I did find however that the manual of arms is physically easier with revolvers for those same people.

View Quote

Depends on the person.  My 80 yrd old MIL could neither rack a slide w/o a hammer she could cock 1st, nor pull a DA rimfire revolver trigger.  Put her in a Ruger SR-22 long bbl b/c she didn't like the .380 recoil in a Walther or S&W EZ.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The micro 9 is flatter than any double stack, I doubt you can find anything easier to conceal than that and still usable.
It's what I pocket carry.
My daughter carries a S&W but it's bigger.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a M&P Shield or a G42.  

My wife has issues racking the Shield, but no problems with the G42.  My wife has no issue with a G19, M&P9 or 1911.

I think the nature of 9mm cartridge in a very small gun with little slide travel results in a pretty stout recoil spring.  She can handle the recoil no problem, it's really the hand and finger strength to work the slide.

I know ammo is really hard to come by these days.  But if at all possible, I'd look into a G42.  Because it's only dealing with .380 energy, the recoil spring is pretty easy to work.  And it shoots like a larger gun.

Or a snubnose revolver, if shooting a DA revolver accurately is okay.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Depends on the person.  My 80 yrd old MIL could neither rack a slide w/o a hammer she could cock 1st, nor pull a DA rimfire revolver trigger.  Put her in a Ruger SR-22 long bbl b/c she didn't like the .380 recoil in a Walther or S&W EZ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thats always been my go to method to teach women or older folk. I did find however that the manual of arms is physically easier with revolvers for those same people.

Yup, totally person dependant.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the Glock 43X or 48 because I can hide them easily

The G43 and SW Shield were both in the rotation at one point but not any longer.

If I can’t routinely pass a “hat qual” with it I won’t use it as an off duty gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
If the ability to consistently rack the slide is in doubt a revolver is the answer. The LCR in 357 mag is several oz heavier than 38 special only which makes the 38 special rounds manageable.  

Or look at the 327 magnum. Less recoil than 357 and get 6 shots.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the ability to consistently rack the slide is in doubt a revolver is the answer. The LCR in 357 mag is several oz heavier than 38 special only which makes the 38 special rounds manageable.  

View Quote

Shooting a steel SP 101 w/ Hogue grips in 9x19mm makes the LCR in .38 or .357 look rather painful to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shooting a steel SP 101 w/ Hogue grips in 9x19mm makes the LCR in .38 or .357 look rather painful to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From experience, a LCR with standard pressure .38 wad cutters is not bad at all.

I’m sure full power .357 out of the LCR 357 would be a handful.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Kahr MK9 Elite 03 and it has been a flawless rieamr. I don't think your wife will be able to rack the slide though as it's pretty stiff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sig P 938 Emperor Scorpion here.  Small enough to disappear in many environments. Yet runs flawlessly.
View Quote

This was my response, too.  The P938 is an amazing piece of engineering and as you say, is quite reliable.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Beretta Nano
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Walther CCP is designed for easy slide rack
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the key to being able to rack the slide is to overhand grip the slide with the thumb and forefinger on the serrations at the rear of the slide with the weak hand, and then to push through with the firing hand on the grip of the weapon. Instead of pulling the slide back, you are pushing the grip down and through. See if that doesn't help.
View Quote

This is how I taught my wife to rack the slide and it works. You're basically racking the pistol while holding the slide, rather than racking the slide while holding the psitol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
She is in retail sales in a mall that is rapidly going downhill.
She can't carry a purse but has like a small planner with a strap. Everything else carried in the store has to be in a clear bag.
We started with M&P Shield 9 gen 1. She can only rack it correctly once or maybe twice. Any sweat on hands etc she is done. Micro 9 she can take care of every time plus the slide release aids with reload.
M&P EZ is bigger than Micro 9. Although she could rack it.
We tried all of the others mentioned also.

Overall goal is smaller than Micro 9 but light spring action on slide. I haven't seen .380 in over 6 weeks, so trying to stick to 9mm.
View Quote

With a couple minutes a day devoted to some very basic hand/grip strength work, she would be fine with her Shield.

Also, retailers are hiring all over, why is she working there?

My point is that a new gun isn't the solution.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure that even is an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife carries a Kahr CM9 that has been thoroughly vetted for reliability after 500+ rounds fired. She does exercises with grip strength devices and resistance bands and is able to work the slide comfortably. I am in the market for an M&P EZ in 9mm IF I CAN FIND ONE WITHOUT THE GRIP SAFETY for her. Barring that I will have her try the 2.0 Shield 9mm without the grip safety. As she can work the Kahr comfortably, I think it will be a viable option. She carries in a CCW purse most times, and will fit it with a Techna Clip for other ocassions.
Not sure that even is an option.

It isn't.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Diamondbacks have a bad rep from their 380s but their DB9 is the smallest and lightest semi auto 9 and I love mine.  I got a boatload of pistols but it's my favorite 9 for pocket carry.

The R51 is easy to rack but spotty in reliability.  Mine is good after a trip to Remington
View Quote

The R51 is one of the worst pistols ever brought to market, and Remington is out of business.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  The R51 is one of the worst pistols ever brought to market, and Remington is out of business.
View Quote

Rem Arms is back in production, albeit I don't know if the R51 will come back.  After they fixed their initial bugs, it sounded as if the R51 was a decent pistol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the key to being able to rack the slide is to overhand grip the slide with the thumb and forefinger on the serrations at the rear of the slide with the weak hand, and then to push through with the firing hand on the grip of the weapon. Instead of pulling the slide back, you are pushing the grip down and through. See if that doesn't help.
View Quote

This is an excellent option to the normal racking that men and stronger women do. I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube which show this, and normally showing rather than explaining gets the point across easier.

Good post, Stretchman!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the Bluntnose Kahr PM9, slide is stiff to rack
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  Is the “New” Remington still using a crap load of MIM?
View Quote

You really think a company emerging from bankruptcy is going to machine trigger & hammer forgings?  You're lucky that it's not a plastic FCS like is sold in some ARs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#31]
G43 and G19, but it's off to get milled, so it's HK P30
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Smallest-9mm-that-you-would trust for-self-defense
View Quote

G26, ... maybe not the smallest, but for SD it has the highest uber-trust factor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#33]
@reb0957any updates in the search?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are looking for a small 380, I can recommend the Beretta Pico.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I carried a Keltec P11 for a few years. Would no qualms going back to it if needed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Mossy MC1SC, same size as G43, takes G43 mags, but has a noticeably better trigger. 700 rounds  says mine is reliable. Oh, and it was $319. Fits soft G43 holsters as well. Has flush mags but i use vickers extensions on mine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I regularly carry a Sig P290RS on my ankle.  It's a chunky bitch.  Slide is heavy enough the spring doesn't have to do all the work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top