Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Still going once a week religiously.

Shop has been getting a steady stream of S&B in 380, 9 and 45 at around .40/round so I'm able to replace what I shoot if I want
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Airsoft
View Quote

Excellent idea.  
I'll not waste my time looking for ammo, and don't wish to deplete my supply at hand.
The airsoft pistol and pellets will do, if not sold out already.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
>>I'm no longer shooting much at all. Thoughts are turning to thin the herd as I start to age.<<

Yup, pretty much sums it up. And I'm not "starting" to age...I'm already there!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
These are trying times, but...no. I am at The range every other weekend. The bulk of my shooting has been .22 as I am spending most of my range time teaching my daughter to shoot, but I still manage to get in 50-100 rds of 9mm per month.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing that I do not do any more is try to replace CF shooting with rimfire.  During the first Obama panic, I only shot .22s.  When I finally went back to shooting CF, I had a really bad flinch that took me a while to overcome.  IMO, shooting 50 CF rounds is better training than shooting 500 RF rounds.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One thing that I do not do any more is try to replace CF shooting with rimfire.  During the first Obama panic, I only shot .22s.  When I finally went back to shooting CF, I had a really bad flinch that took me a while to overcome.  IMO, shooting 50 CF rounds is better training than shooting 500 RF rounds.  

I 100% agree with this and had a similar experience years ago when I tried supplementing 22LF for 9mm.

22's are fun for plinking and great for introducing new shooters but they are a poor long term training round in my personal experience.

Quoted:
Airsoft

A lot of people will laugh at that but there are some pretty decent bb gun versions of popular defensive guns like Glocks and Sigs. They are pretty inexpensive and BBs/pellet's are much more available currently them rimfire. The real advantage IMO is, this is something you can use at home in the garage, basement, backyard or wherever and use it to practice drawing from concealment while actually putting a "round" on target. Something most people can't do at home (or even at their local range) using an actual firearm.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Stopped, no.  Slowed down, yes.  However, it’s more of a time issue than supply for me right now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Several years ago I started stocking up.  My kid will inherit whats left.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Several years ago I started stocking up.  My kid will inherit whats left.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Went to local indoor range to try out a few things. Not busy at all , but it was a nice day out , and only one group of guys blasting away.  Another guy was shooting .22 mostly. An older guy and wife came in and shit maybe 50 rds and left.

I shot

. 22 - 300 rds
9mm - 300rds.

Was trying out a PSA 7.5” upper with black dog mag and some CCI super quiet ammo along with EVO drum.

Weather getting nicer I will be at the outdoor range for rifle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I am still shooting at least once per week, but not as much ammo per range visit.

One thing that has changed is the ammo I shoot. I have been a reloader for well over 20-years. Years ago I would often load maybe 50 or 60 rounds using one specific powder charge to test accuracy, go to the range and only shoot some of those reloads. The remaining reloads were is a zip lock bag and I would throw the remaining rounds into a storage area. Over the years I threw many dozens of those bags in the storage area.

Recently I dug the old reloads out and have started shooting them. Those rounds include 9mm, 45acp, 38 super, 45 colt, 38 special, and 357. These should keep my busy for a while! It's interesting revisiting those loads.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much stopped. Ammo is just too scarce and dear when you can find it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. Dont want to burn through what I have left.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I cut back.  I went to the range last month to finish sighting in my new SBR build.  Stopped with 30, then shot a couple mags of 9mm and a box of .22.  That was it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't stopped, but I certainly am shooting less, trying to make my supply last.  I'm buying diapers and formula now and my wife stopped working, so ammo isn't in the budget...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
The funny thing is my shooting has dropped off considerably even before the current craziness.  So, I am stocked up on everything, primers, powder bullets etc.  I have tons of Ammo and could be shooting every week.  Ive just kind of lost interest for a while.  I may just go out with my new .22 and plink this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep. Haven't been to the range in months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have stopped shooting because I am too busy right now.  Hopefully I can change that this weekend.

I loaded 1000 rounds of 62gr 5.56 milspec type rounds a few weeks ago, so it isn't an ammo issue.

Last time out, I shot .44 Mag through my Rossi 92, so there is no reasonable way I would shoot a lot of it.

I also fired my newest JM 30-30 336 Marlin to check zero, probably 20 rounds.  I think the .44 has a bit more recoil then the 30-30.

Some dumbass had his target at 15 feet, so his rounds were spraying my 50 yard target.  Dude's rounds were keyholing on his target, 9mm I think.  He had some horrible ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Still rolling here, saw things coming...So we automated it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Hammermill thread.

also, hope OP has ventilation in his basement range
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I slowed down a bit because of the winter. I do about half an hour dryfire training with the G-sight every couple days and get to the range a couple times a month, mostly with the 9mm. I take a box of 50 reloads and do drills. Once I took the new shotgun out to chase a couple boxes around, tons of fun. But sadly, the AR has been left idle and I really miss it. Now the snow is receding so I'll be taking it out soon and show it some love!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Have a great stash of ammo, but can't bring myself to replace any of it at these prices.  Been mostly dry-fire practice or precision shooting with an air rifle for kicks.  The air rifle is a blast and i keep working on smaller and smaller targets, further and further away (until it goes beyond the guns range).

May sell something real to buy a high end, big caliber air gun and start playing around with it until prices go back down a bit...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Dry fire and .22LR.

I still go shoot 50 rounds through my carry gun every couple of months, but yes, range trips have gotten less frequent and smaller round counts.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#24]
2 mags in carry gun once a month.  I can't afford ammo at these prices.
I ran the rest of the silverbear ammo(3 mags) I had around in my AR in January.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
My shooting always slows down in winter...  I hate the cold.

What shooting I am doing is limited to handguns and my rimfire rifles.

Not because of ammo shortages.
'Plenty of ammo. I'm up to my balls in ammo...
Last May 1st. my gov't decided my AR's are too dangerous and banned them.
Still have possession, but cant take them out of the house.
Only a matter of time before they roll out their plan to outright confiscate them.

Be warned.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Weather permitting I try to shoot 2-4 times a week but typically limit myself to 50-100 rds per session. Often I’ll use a 22 since that’s what has a reddot on it. And I’m trying to reclaim some much neglected skill. I reload and have a fair supply of primers. It also helps that I can shoot on my property with no grief from neighbors. I’m in my 60’s and realize that my time when I’ll no longer be safe or maybe even alive with a firearm is approaching. So I’d rather not go away leaving cases of unfired ammo that I could’ve enjoyed. Especially these days I need to sharpen my long lost skill to a much finer edge than I’ve gotten away with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Pretty much limited myself to 2 matches a month. Hopefully I will add one live fire practice each month as the weather warms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't slowed down shooting too much.  When there isn't a lot of snow on the ground I try to go out 2-3 times and month.  I rotate between handgun drills, carbine drills and some long range steel clanging.  My amount of ammo per trip is down a little.  I've probably cut back 25% due to current cost to replace, but I'm not replacing much.  I can keep up what I'm doing a long time, so I'm waiting to see if things level out before I start buying a lot of ammo again.

The one thing that has changed is that I'm no longer giving away ammo like I have been the last few years.  I train several new shooters and have people over to my home range a lot.  I've literally given away thousands of rounds of 9mm, 5.56 and .22 LR over the last 3 years.  No more.  Not even if they pay current market for it.  BYOA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Stopped in mid 2020, I've been holding on to my current stores. I don't see this turning around anytime soon. I will probably just start shooting .22lr as some of you guys have stated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I watched The Walking Dead last night and there was a line about "That gun probably isn't even loaded. Ammo is scarce."
Y'all shoot all your's up. Have fun for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#31]
What's the point of hanging on to it if you aren't going to shoot it? Reduced shooting to hopefully stretch it out makes sense, but not shooting at all doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#32]
shot 3 rds skeet last Saturday
Sunday after popping off 180 rounds thru my AUG, decided to pop 240 rds 45ACP at my Salute falling plates target

Is there a ammo shortage?  Heard something about that recently.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I have cut back allot. I got tired of looking for ammo and the local areas have been greatly reduce by new zoning and the ever expanding city. Its getting farther and farther to get to where I can go have fun. I only use ranges as a last resort.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Guns are like a stock portfolio, you have to diversify in your disciplines...
I've slowed down on 556/9mm. So  that G44 I bought last year is gettig a work out.

I can still CCW practice on a regualr basis.

Dry fire is up  for me...

And my precesion 22 rig has also let me get good quality trigger time. shooting for groups is something I enjoy...takes time to do it with minimal ammo expediture.

I down sized my collection a few years ago and stuck to just stuff I like to shoot and afew stables that I hang onto for any future grand kids.

The more expensive precision 22 has go up a bit but is still availabel with a little effort, and I have enough to shoot all summer and into the fall.

Been looking at
Dry Fire mag
Mantis
and the new one that self cocks your AR. but the $250 price tag has me holding back on that one.

It does make one want to invest in other hobbies. I like nature and have started to get into bird watching...bought a set of bino's for that...

I'll never stop shooting, I enjoy it too much. just have to employ some work arounds and mixing it up a bit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

::snip::

Been looking at
Dry Fire mag
Mantis
and the new one that self cocks your AR. but the $250 price tag has me holding back on that one.

View Quote

The Mantis Blackbeard is worth the money, I've really been enjoying it and have been spending a great deal of time dry firing with both it and the Dry Fire Mag in my Glocks.

Modern problems require modern solutions.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Mantis Blackbeard is worth the money, I've really been enjoying it and have been spending a great deal of time dry firing with both it and the Dry Fire Mag in my Glocks.

View Quote

Stop spending my money....
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of the Mantis Blackbeard until now. Electromechanical wizardy that can make money disappear from my wallet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad to help!

Quoted:

Never heard of the Mantis Blackbeard until now. Electromechanical wizardy that can make money disappear from my wallet.
View Quote

https://mantisx.com/pages/blackbeard-ar-trigger-resetting-system

Attachment Attached File

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top