BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All steel 5" or even 4.25" 1911 is a boat anchor and is seriously taxing on ones body to be hung on one side of the pelvis for 8-12 hours per day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think many people who carry a 45 ACP 1911 pistol with 8+1 rounds in it would feel "under-gunned".
Even someone else does think that the person who carries a 1911 is under-gunned, it really isn't any of their business in any case.  

We could launch into discussing various firearms studies that claim the average number of rounds fired per "encounter" are between 3 and 7 rounds, but there are usually other studies that come to other conclusions and most people will believe what ever their pre-held conclusions were in any case.  So I'll avoid trying to enter into such a discussion.

Those who would feel "under-gunned" with 9 rounds of 45 ACP ammo in a pistol can easily switch to carrying something else.  Although I sort of question whether a pistol containing 10+1 rounds of 380 ammo (double stack compact pistol) is a better choice than 8+1 rounds of 45 ACP.  

Regardless of whether someone else wants to carry the 380 with it's capacity, or the 1911 with it's capacity, it is still none of my business what someone else wants to carry.

All steel 5" or even 4.25" 1911 is a boat anchor and is seriously taxing on ones body to be hung on one side of the pelvis for 8-12 hours per day.

I got the how heavy a 1911 thing was until I bought a good belt. But I used to tote this thing around all day at deer camp, until I wised up and got a .44 Special, and with a good belt it didn't feel as heavy as a 1911 with a shit belt.

But, ya, it's all about what you're comfortable with. The closest I've come to a CCW scenario was walking up on a deer I had shot that I thought was dead. I was a couple yards away when it picked its head up and I shot it in the head with my 1911. I don't remember what I did, other than I got to about fuu in fuuuck, it's getting up by the time I shot it, and wondering how the fuck I just did that.

EDIT: It's an edit, but I still own page 3 because somehow I John Wicked a deer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I John Wicked a deer.
View Quote

Quoted for posterity.

ETA: One of my earlier carry guns was a Rossi 971 (30 ounces of Brazilian crap), and I've carried a 6.5" Smith 29 too.  In fact, my uncle would jog with that thing in a Miami Classic shoulder rig back in the 1980s.  I ended up with it and have fond memories of being 18 and trying to conceal a N frame Smith with Target grips while being 135 pounds.  Laughable.  I quickly went back to carrying my Colt 1911.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted for posterity.

ETA: One of my earlier carry guns was a Rossi 971 (30 ounces of Brazilian crap), and I've carried a 6.5" Smith 29 too.  In fact, my uncle would jog with that thing in a Miami Classic shoulder rig back in the 1980s.  I ended up with it and have fond memories of being 18 and trying to conceal a N frame Smith with Target grips while being 135 pounds.  Laughable.  I quickly went back to carrying my Colt 1911.
View Quote

I've concealed a 5" N frame before, but I also live in Texas where sometimes you can wear a waist length duster as a winter coat when it's in the 50s. But I know one time on my way back from the deer camp I stopped a sketchy gas station and had a couple people scatter around the entrance because I still had my .44 Magnum in a Threepersons holster on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I've been doing it for the better part of 40 years and it's not been taxing for my body yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, I've been doing it for the better part of 40 years and it's not been taxing for my body yet.
View Quote

Okay...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Commander or full sized 1911 + 2 spare mags most days
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I seriously doubt that the G19 accounts for a significant percentage of pistols that Americans actually conceal carry on a regular basis. I'd wager that single stacks, subcompact double stacks, j-frames, and hybrids like the P365 & Hellcat has overwelming market share in the EDC market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2021?  

Only those who've never heard of a Glock 19, apparently.  

I seriously doubt that the G19 accounts for a significant percentage of pistols that Americans actually conceal carry on a regular basis. I'd wager that single stacks, subcompact double stacks, j-frames, and hybrids like the P365 & Hellcat has overwelming market share in the EDC market.

Link to reliable EDC-market stats on who's carrying what concealed?

Pretty sure double-stack 9-minimeters rule.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Commander or full sized 1911 + 2 spare mags most days
View Quote

Major boat achor, all together.

15+1 G19, with spare 15-rd mag on the off-side.  A lot lighter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock 36 or 43.
Will carry G17-5 sometimes.
If things start going real shitty it will be my EDC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2021?  

Only those who've never heard of a Glock 19, apparently.  

I'd take that bet if there were a reliable way to know.  I'd bet that he's right with guns like the various Ruger LC9 and similar guns, Bersas, KelTecs, Taurus 85s and their various compact/subcompact 9mms, etc. making up the bulk of the concealed carry guns.  Most folks, including those who conceal carry, really aren't "gun people" and they buy something that they feel is "good enough" for their needs, often based on whatever the counter person or their deer hunter uncle told them.  Talking to some of the CWP instructors, they see all manner of guns brought to classes- some good choices, some abysmal and most of the folks are minimally proficient at handling them.  

The subset of folks who are both knowledgeable and skilled with their firearms is probably much smaller than any of us want to really think about- I know the guy with the Taurus PT111 in one of those black Uncle Mike's nylon holsters under his shoot me first vest that keeps getting exposed every time he reaches for something on the grocery store shelf has a right to carry, but I don't want to be anywhere near him if he whips it out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd take that bet if there were a reliable way to know.  I'd bet that he's right with guns like the various Ruger LC9 and similar guns, Bersas, KelTecs, Taurus 85s and their various compact/subcompact 9mms, etc. making up the bulk of the concealed carry guns.  Most folks, including those who conceal carry, really aren't "gun people" and they buy something that they feel is "good enough" for their needs, often based on whatever the counter person or their deer hunter uncle told them.  Talking to some of the CWP instructors, they see all manner of guns brought to classes- some good choices, some abysmal and most of the folks are minimally proficient at handling them.  

The subset of folks who are both knowledgeable and skilled with their firearms is probably much smaller than any of us want to really think about- I know the guy with the Taurus PT111 in one of those black Uncle Mike's nylon holsters under his shoot me first vest that keeps getting exposed every time he reaches for something on the grocery store shelf has a right to carry, but I don't want to be anywhere near him if he whips it out.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If I carry a single stack it is my PPS M2.  But my P365 has pretty much dominated most of my EDC.  

I would sell the Walther but I just like it too much.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Every day!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  The subset of folks who are both knowledgeable and skilled with their firearms is probably much smaller than any of us want to really think about- I know the guy with the Taurus PT111 in one of those black Uncle Mike's nylon holsters under his shoot me first vest that keeps getting exposed every time he reaches for something on the grocery store shelf has a right to carry, but I don't want to be anywhere near him if he whips it out.
View Quote

I'm allergic to bullets and rockets - if anyone pulls a gun out for reals, police, soldier, Marine, sailor, airman, CHL, good guy, bad guy - I don't want to be anywhere near.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think you are both forgetting about the very large LEO community, many (most?) of whom carry off duty. Some because they want to and some because its their dept policy.

The G19 may not be the most carried gun in America but its up there
View Quote
There are only 700,000 sworn officers in the US in 2019 according to google.

That is almost statistically insignificant compared to the other 130,000,000 other gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are only 700,000 sworn officers in the US in 2019 according to google.

That is almost statistically insignificant compared to the other 130,000,000 other gun owners.
View Quote

Talk about kicking a dead horse with irrelevant and outdated data but OK...

I don't know and don't care but my gut is telling me that list of "700,000 sworn officers" is missing a significant number professionals who are paid to carry and not even half of those "130,000,000 other gun owners" carry EVER much less daily.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry my Shield a fair amount.  I've always liked it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
99.9% single stacks here.  Shield 9mm, G42 and a Ruger LCP are my most common carry guns.  I pocket carry a lot, hence the G42 and the LCP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So how exactly is this G43x/G48 not a single stack mag?

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IMG_20190118_153428.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of you listing 43X, 48, P365, P365XL, G19’s, those are not single stack guns

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IMG_20190118_153428.jpg

Because the bullets don’t line up in a single stack, they are staggered and are more like a 1.5 stack.  It’s in between single stack and double stack.

If you don’t believe me, put your 43X/48 magazine in a G43 and let me know how it fits?  (43X slide and barrel is the same as the 43, 48 is just a bit longer)
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry old guns in several calibers often including handguns with single stacks

Example

Ocean One Walther P5 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice P5.  I have one as well.  Would never carry it though, as if it were lost I could no longer afford to replace it, nor even find one to replace it with.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because the bullets don’t line up in a single stack, they are staggered and are more like a 1.5 stack.  
View Quote

Semantics. Its still considered a single stack by everyone in the industry. The fact that they don't stay in a nice pretty straight row doesn't change that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Semantics. Its still considered a single stack by everyone in the industry. The fact that they don't stay in a nice pretty straight row doesn't change that.
View Quote

Or how about the fact double stack CZ mags fit the magwell?  Or the fact a G19 mag fits and runs if you sand/shave off the plastic shell?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or how about the fact double stack CZ mags fit the magwell?  Or the fact a G19 mag fits and runs if you sand/shave off the plastic shell?
View Quote

What exactly does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
My Glock 42 came back from Syrmna, GA refurbished so I am carrying it. I'm ordering a couple ETS 12 round mags for it today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because the bullets don’t line up in a single stack, they are staggered and are more like a 1.5 stack.  It’s in between single stack and double stack.

If you don’t believe me, put your 43X/48 magazine in a G43 and let me know how it fits?  (43X slide and barrel is the same as the 43, 48 is just a bit longer)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of you listing 43X, 48, P365, P365XL, G19’s, those are not single stack guns

Same with shields. Still refered to as single stacks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Semantics. Its still considered a single stack by everyone in the industry. The fact that they don't stay in a nice pretty straight row doesn't change that.

It's a double-stack mag - but marketing calls it a single stack, and idiots believe marketing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I daily a Staccato C DUO with an RMR these days in a Tenicor Certum 3 AIWB.

I also regularly carry a Colt Government Model with a TLR-1.  In the winter I sometimes carry a Glock 43 in a pocket holster as a supplement to a full-sized pistol.  I occasionally carry a Glock 19 OWB in a Tenicor Arx; I much prefer to OWB a double stack as opposed to IWB a single stack.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]
removed

This isn't GD.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top