Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the advantage to loading by putting a round in the chamber, dropping the slide, and then putting a loaded magazine in the gun?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the advantage to loading by putting a round in the chamber, dropping the slide, and then putting a loaded magazine in the gun?
View Quote

If you want that +1 it's easier than inserting the mag, chambering a round, removing the magazine, inserting a round in the magazine, then putting the magazine back in the pistol.

ETA I've just done it in situations where I had a single round I wanted to fire (cheap ammo that the primer didn't fire on the first go). I had no idea it was harmful to the extractor. I've done it countless times on tons of semi auto firearms.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If a P38 or 92F or M9, it’s fine.
There is a reason a lot of used pistols need new extractors is because previous owners and or agencies abused their equipment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you want that +1 it's easier than inserting the mag, chambering a round, removing the magazine, inserting a round in the magazine, then putting the magazine back in the pistol.

View Quote
Loading from the mag and then topping off is hard?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried it one time with a Kimber Pro CDP II and the extractor broke. Not kidding. I don't own any Kimber's now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's about trying to find a way to dry fire your carry piece regularly without ruining a round every couple of days by repeatedly rechambering it.

There's a shortage on, you know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's about trying to find a way to dry fire your carry piece regularly without ruining a round every couple of days by repeatedly rechambering it.

View Quote
Loading from a magazine and slowly dropping the slide is a better way.

Thankfully, I have more than one carry gun and 400 rounds of carry ammo so this won't ever be an issue for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn’t ruin it.  

I played with it on multiple pistols, chambering the same round of duty ammo 50+ times...no setback and it fired fine.  Rim was slightly beat up but functional.

If you are getting beat up ammo or setback, there is another reason.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the many reasons for having multiple similar or same type guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
When there is a round in the chamber and the slide slams home, the Extractor is forced to snap over the rim of the casing.
This is very hard on the extractor and can damage a 1911 extractor.
When the slide feeds a round from the magazine the rim rides up and slips under the extractor hook and it chambers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been dropping the slide on a chambered round of my EDC gun for well over 25 years, Rugers, HK's, Steyr's & now Glock for the last ~15 or so & have never broken an extractor.  I have friends who are the same & have talked to many guys who do the same.  If your gun can't survive having the slide dropped on a chambered round, get a better gun or at least a better extractor.
View Quote

Do you also flick cylinders closed on revolvers?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you also flick cylinders closed on revolvers?
View Quote

Only revolver I own is a single action, but if I did, I sure wouldn't be afraid to.  If it couldn't handle it, not worth keeping.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]
When I first started shooting I would occasionaly breech load my used Gock 19, eventually the extractor broke. I dont know how many rounds it took but it did break. The only breech loading I do now is with my shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been dropping the slide on a chambered round of my EDC gun for well over 25 years, Rugers, HK's, Steyr's & now Glock for the last ~15 or so & have never broken an extractor.  I have friends who are the same & have talked to many guys who do the same.  If your gun can't survive having the slide dropped on a chambered round, get a better gun or at least a better extractor.
View Quote

Well one of the brands you listed I’ve personally seen multiple chipped extractors from doing exactly that.

I know people who do it and haven’t broken one either, but to ignore that is increasing the chance of a failure is unwise.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How it was explained to me was a slide slamming forward on a chambered round forces a extractor to jump over the cartridge rim .
In the normal firing sequence with  the cartridge coming out of the magazine and tilting into the chamber the rim slides under the extractor hook from the bottom
View Quote

This is correct, and yes OP its bad for the extractor.  It will usually chip the bottom corner then the rest goes.
I knew a cop that did this and no amount of education would convince his dumbass. He thought the gun cycled that way
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Smyth Busters: Is It Safe To Drop The Slide With a Round in the Chamber?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's not just hearsay. It's knowledge of the design and function. We are explaining to you the physical reason it's a bad idea.

If you don't believe it then go on your way and ignore it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So no one has done any test on this to see if it's true or not? Everyone is just saying "I heard" or "it's not a good idea".

It's not just hearsay. It's knowledge of the design and function. We are explaining to you the physical reason it's a bad idea.

If you don't believe it then go on your way and ignore it.

Exactly.

If you understand how rounds interact with the extractor as they feed from a magazine vs. if you drop a loose round into the chamber snd bring slide forward there really isn’t a question.

There is a way rounds should be fed based on the mechanical design.

So I’m not constantly messing around with adding 1 round back in a nearly full magazine I load 1 round into an extra mag, inset mag, chamber round.  That’s my +1.  Then insert fully loaded mag.  Easy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Like said several times in this thread, it's not good for some guns.  The old Mauser extractors (controlled round feed) and 1911's.  They are basically a big spring.  They will move and slip over the rim and it may happen many times, but it is putting undue stress on the metal.  1911 extractors have even less room to move.  Modern extractors work a bit different.  Not as bad, but still not great.  Yall do what you want, but its not good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
It's something I would only do on a Beretta 92.  Other guns generally aren't designed for it.  Yes, really.  It'll snap your extractor in half.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How it was explained to me was a slide slamming forward on a chambered round forces a extractor to jump over the cartridge rim .
In the normal firing sequence with  the cartridge coming out of the magazine and tilting into the chamber the rim slides under the extractor hook from the bottom
View Quote

This above. The extractor will break eventually. It’s suppose to slide up under the extractor not be forced to jump over the rim of the cartridge head on. It will break the extractor claw off.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#21]
My kids friend had a brand new Taurus PT 1911
dropped a bullet in the chamber racked the slide and pulled the trigger.  This was the first shot from the gun.  They called me and said the gun won't shoot anymore.  Yes the extractor claw was broken
off.  You don't have to be a gun designer to see how
something is made to work.  Forcing the extractor over the rim puts stress on it.  The bullets are to come from the mag into the extractor from bottom and then hook the cartridge rim.  That's the way it
was designed so do what you want even if it's wrong.  I don't do anything that puts undo stress on my personal weapons.  I never know when I might have to use it to protect my life or my family's lives. Being in the Army and sleeping with our M16's made a impact on me many years later.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always taken it as a sign of a novice shooter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Outside of old guns, modern extractors have a sloped front face on the extractor. The only purpose it serves is to ride up over a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've read your post 5 times and it makes no sense. Dropping the slide vs chambering a round? Does not seem to be worded correctly.

But, to answer your question, no. Why would dropping the slide do any damage? That is what happens when firing the gun.
View Quote

Do you understand how semi auto handguns (especially 1911 style) chambers new rounds?

They head of the case slides up the breech face and under the extractor.

When you drop a round in the chamber the extractor must slip OVER the base of the case head.

It is a great way to screw up the spring tension of the extractor, and chip the extractor edge that grabs the case.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top