Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FN HPDA
Browning BDA
FN Forty Nine
FNP/Browning Pro Series
FNX Series
FNS Series

All have something in common.... FN killed support of each of then as they moved onto the next one and it wasn't after decades of support either. It was within a few years.
View Quote
This. I don't always agree with Miami_JBT, but this is the perfect explanation of my thoughts as well.

I would absolutely LOVE one of their AR15's, but wasn't willing to pay the premium they wanted. And that leaves me basically not a customer of theirs even though I respect the hell out of their capabilities.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

HK can't import their rifles, thank Bush 1 for that.  Look at the abortions that are the SL8 and USC.  I know some have called for them to just move production stateside but I wouldn't have any interest in a US-made HK.

I guess an ideal solution would be to do what IWI's stateside subsidiary does with the Tavors, import essentially complete guns and then swap out whatever is necessary to appease 922r.  I wonder if they have any market research on how viable that would be.

Who knows how the German government would respond with their retarded export laws.
View Quote

It’s not them just not being able to import their rifles, they don’t care about civilian sales and even LE sales for the most part. It takes a back seat to military sales and by back seat I mean more like the trunk. I’m friends with one of the HMFIC at one of their largest dealer/distributors and even the civilian pistols they make runs of them when they feel like it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

HK can't import their rifles, thank Bush 1 for that.  Look at the abortions that are the SL8 and USC.  I know some have called for them to just move production stateside but I wouldn't have any interest in a US-made HK.

I guess an ideal solution would be to do what IWI's stateside subsidiary does with the Tavors, import essentially complete guns and then swap out whatever is necessary to appease 922r.  I wonder if they have any market research on how viable that would be.

Who knows how the German government would respond with their retarded export laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of those guns you lost were either made for military contracts or solicitations and sold to the civilian market as an afterthought.

I won’t argue about HK not caring about the civilian market either, because they clearly don’t, probably even more so than FNH. At least HK makes some decent guns though.

Unless something changed the SCARs are imported as neutered guns and converted stateside. our import laws suck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Biggest problem I see is how fast they discontinue pistols.  Glock S&W both basically make the same duty pistol as they have for some time.  Yes newer generations but a lot of commonality.  FN makes something and in a few years when sales die down they cancel it instead of improving it and replace it with something completely different.  So no one wants to make holsters, aftermarket shit, or commit to anything and the pistol falls into the history books.  FN parts are expensive and additional mags are HK air higher price.  Average Joe’s want to buy a Glock or M&P type pistol where mags are affordable and to get setup is not over a grand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Biggest problem I see is how fast they discontinue pistols.  Glock S&W both basically make the same duty pistol as they have for some time.  Yes newer generations but a lot of commonality.  FN makes something and in a few years when sales die down they cancel it instead of improving it and replace it with something completely different.  So no one wants to make holsters, aftermarket shit, or commit to anything and the pistol falls into the history books.  FN parts are expensive and additional mags are HK air higher price.  Average Joe’s want to buy a Glock or M&P type pistol where mags are affordable and to get setup is not over a grand.
View Quote

Yup... The may have earned the right to be able to overcharge for their rifles, but, unlike Beretta, Colt (1911s), S&W, Sig, HK, CZ, etc, they haven't earned the reputation to charge a premium for their handguns. No one is going to pay more or the same price for over the other dominant, reputable, tried and true handgun manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SIG is moving their entire production to the US starting tomorrow. They will no longer be German made. Why? Because the German Government is a pain to deal with. HK currently makes the civilian 416 and HK45 pistol in the US to bypass US and German laws. They could make the SL-8 and USC stateside without the need to make them legal for export from Germany and legal for import into the US.
View Quote

Nothing new on SIG really since the German SIG hasn't been allowed to export for years anyway leaving us with the US made shit or overpaying for second hand real German SIGs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They seem to sell out every single FN FiveseveN 5.7x28mm they bring in at $1,200-$1,300+

That being said, yes they’ve horribly over priced. I paid $1,250 for mine with the Law Enforcement discount.
View Quote

How many FN FiveseveN do they release into the wild vs any particular platforms other manufacturers have on the market? Not saying much to be sold out of something (especially vs other manufacturers) when you're product is extremely low to begin with. If I make 5 of something and it sells out, and others are making 500 and are sold out or still have stock, that doesn't mean my product is just as or more popular than my competitors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nothing new on SIG really since the German SIG hasn't been allowed to export for years anyway leaving us with the US made shit or overpaying for second hand real German SIGs.
View Quote

Keep in mind that the only real big seller for Sig in the U.S. is the P365 and the p320. I remember the P250 and P320 came out. No one wanted them, and they weren't that popular. The P250 was discontinued, and if it wasn't for the Army adopting the platform, the P320 would have been discontinued by now too. They are only popular and became popular for one reason and one reason only. Even then, they had a shit ton of issues that never would have been addressed or know by civilians if it wasn't for the Army trails. I still think the Beretta APX is a much better platform and pistol, and would take one of them over an U.S. made P320 indefinitely. They shot have went with the APX or Glock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PDs were adopting the P320 before the DoD did its thing. The P250 died because it was a DAO hammer fired gun in an age of striker fired guns.
View Quote

I was on just about every gun forum, in gun shops, watching top 100 best sellers every from Buds & GunBroker, watched YT gun channels, and watching the IDPA most popular pistols. The P320 was rarely brought up or talked about in the civilian market until they trails were mentioned. They also didn't have the presence in gunshops, at least in my area, that they do now.

What percentage or how many PDs adopted them before the trails vs now? Glock, S&W, and the metal frame Sigs ruled that market for years and made up the bunk or what L.E. carried, so if PDs carried them before the trails, it couldn't have been many.

Yes, the P250 being DAO was part of why it died, but the fact still remains based on what I seen, the P320 still wasn't that popular. Sig even offers a DA/SA version that also isn't that popular. It's a matter of time before that's gone too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Their approach to civilian pistol marketing always seemed to be "well fellas, here's a pistol that we couldn't pass a military trial with, or get any government interested in buying... ya wouldn't happen to be interested in it, would ya?  Oh yeah, and just between me and you, you may as well buy all the mags you can find NOW."

That said, I think the HP DA was a criminally underrated design.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Their approach to civilian pistol marketing always seemed to be "well fellas, here's a pistol that we couldn't pass a military trial with, or get any government interested in buying... ya wouldn't happen to be interested in it, would ya?  Oh yeah, and just between me and you, you may as well buy all the mags you can find NOW."

That said, I think the HP DA was a criminally underrated design.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/1200px-Bda9_JPG-1757565.JPG
View Quote

That was a.stupid ugly gun.  An abomination
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What percentage or how many PDs adopted them before the trails vs now? Glock, S&W, and the metal frame Sigs ruled that market for years and made up the bunk or what L.E. carried, so if PDs carried them before the trails, it couldn't have been many.

View Quote

My old department conducted our pistol evaluation in the summer of 2015 and selected the P320 Carry.  Actually the 17 round "Carry" model hadn't come out yet but we requested it and Sig created the model because multiple departments where inquiring.  We were the first federal agency to adopt the P320 in 2015 so Sig was very accommodating for us.  When I was doing market research at the beginning of the contracting process I found about a dozen or so smaller departments mostly in New England were carrying the P320.  I spoke with someone in the Oklahoma Highway Patrol firearms unit about their 2015 P320 pistol selection and I also reach out to Texas DPS but never spoke to anyone in Texas.  That was all before the 2017 Army announcement for the P320 award.  

In December 2017 Sig replaced 450 of our P320 pistols with the upgraded model.  When I was planning the logistics to get 450 pistols in officers holster replaced I inquired with Sig about their time frame. I recall being told Sig was putting out 5000 pistols a week and they were ramping up for 100,000+ upgrades.  David
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up 2 of their FNS-9 pistols from AIM when they were dirt cheap. The ergonomics of them fits me perfectly. One resides in my nightstand. I picked up plenty of replacement parts and mag springs, so between the two of them I am set for personal polymer protection.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm responding to a few different posts in this but first FN didn't "ruin" Winchester.  Miami_JBT gave a good summary on that.  The current Winchesters made in Japan are higher quality than any of the American made guns of the past.  Miroku does phenomenal work.  Same with the current FN Model 70s.  They are better built than any Model 70 of the past.

...and FN owning Winchester and Browning isn't equatable to Cerberus owning Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, etc.  The difference is Cerberus didn't actually care and tanked those companies and turned their QC and products into garbage.  Remington went from being one of the premier American firearm manufacturers to being a joke among gun owners.  On the other hand FN took Winchester and improved them when they moved their production to Miroku and FN Portugal.  I won't include Browning because they have had quality firearms made in Belgium and Miroku for a long time and they've always been great under FN's watch.

And lastly Browning and Winchester are solely focused on civilian sales for FN.  All of their guns are for hunting or some form of target shooting.  They also sell very well.  Depending on when you're looking it can be hard to find certain firearms like the Browning BLR, Winchester lever guns, some variants of the Model 70, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I own a few FN products, including a PS90. Frankly, while they make great products, they are typically waaaaaay overpriced. If you examine the P90/PS90, it is a rough Al alloy casting and molded plastic surrounding a super simple action. Don’t get me wrong, it’s simplicity is a big part of it’s success but the retail price tag is not commensurate with what you are getting.

Same with the FN57. I just can’t look beyond the price tag. $1,300 for a plastic frame pistol? I can buy the Ruger57 for half that and it will do the same thing for me.

However, nothing wrong with buying or shooting FN. If that is what you want then get it. That is what I did with the PS90.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I own a few FN products, including a PS90. Frankly, while they make great products, they are typically waaaaaay overpriced. If you examine the P90/PS90, it is a rough Al alloy casting and molded plastic surrounding a super simple action. Don’t get me wrong, it’s simplicity is a big part of it’s success but the retail price tag is not commensurate with what you are getting.

Same with the FN57. I just can’t look beyond the price tag. $1,300 for a plastic frame pistol? I can buy the Ruger57 for half that and it will do the same thing for me.

However, nothing wrong with buying or shooting FN. If that is what you want then get it. That is what I did with the PS90.
View Quote

The P90 frustrates me in that regard.  The entire design principle was to be a 21st century M1 Carbine in role and purpose; and in cost effectiveness.  It's vastly better in all counts.  Including manufacturers cost-effectiveness.  It's barely above Happy-Meal Toy in cost of fabrication (some hyperbole there, but only some); yet they charge $1000 for it.  That thing should cost on the order of a Kel-Tec pocket .380.  

And that's FN.  Fabulous engineers, extremely cost-effective designs, and then priced waaaaayyy too much, to pay for the cost-effective engineering?

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And that's FN.  Fabulous engineers, extremely cost-effective designs, and then priced waaaaayyy too much, to pay for the cost-effective engineering?
View Quote

You think all those social programs are gonna pay for themselves ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They have no real brand identity when it comes to handguns because they are constantly discontinuing and replacing their pistols. Like Ruger but double the price.
View Quote
This, except it's not just pistols, it's any civilian lineup.  Anything they make for the civilian market is prone to be unceremoniously dropped with little to no warning, and they make basically zero spare parts from that moment onwards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Since the SCAR comes up remember all the different barrels and configs FN said were coming? Yeah none of that happened. They did manage to increase the price yearly more than it's alternates which are many. (LWRCI better in every way.)

All that and it sh#t the bed when it went to war. (Sorry fans. It didn't perform as promised.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top