Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've gone back and forth over getting a 10mm barrel/mags for my G21 or going with .45 Super.  The .45 Super is the easiest route since I already have a ported Storm Lake barrel and I can use my same magazines.  My main concern is accidentally getting it in a gun that can't handle it.  I'm extremely cautious but crap happens.  

I have a Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 acp that can handle the .45 Super but if I need a powerhouse the .45 Colt can easily best the .45 super.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dunno about cut-down 308 brass, but I do know you're not supposed to use 45 ACP brass to roll 45 Super cartridges.  My understanding is that 45 Super brass is thicker at the back webbing around the primer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought you were supposed to use cut down .308 brass for .45 Super due to the higher pressures, rather than .45 ACP brass?

Dunno about cut-down 308 brass, but I do know you're not supposed to use 45 ACP brass to roll 45 Super cartridges.  My understanding is that 45 Super brass is thicker at the back webbing around the primer.

It all depends on how supported it is in the chamber.

For a 1911, Super brass is a wise choice. Thats why the brass was thickened, as it does not have a fully supported chamber.

For my friends USP Elite, it was fully supported, so he just ran .45 ACP brass. That was his whole interest in the cartridge, cheaper brass then 10mm with comparable power.

.45 Super is a low pressure cartridge; SAAMI max is 28kpsi, vs 38kpsi for 9mm +P or 37.5kpsi for 10mm. .45 ACP, especially small primer, shouldnt have trouble in a fully supported chamber, as .45 ACP is 21kpsi SAAMI.  

In the Revolver, thats as supported as it gets. I'd have no worries at all running .45 ACP to .45 super in the Redhawk.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I did to convert my Kimber Target to 45 Super except I used 26 lb. recoil spring and Barsto 6" barrel with matching bushing.  I'm using 7 round Metalform SS mags as 8 round CMC Power mags are hard to seat properly when loaded with 8 rounds and slide is closed.
I'm using Starline 45 Super brass to load 255 gr (actually 252gr) FP hard cast bullet @ +/- 1,060 fps or Remington 45+P nickel brass to load same bullet @ +/- 970 fps.  Both loads are very accurate out to 50 yards and hits pretty hard.  The recoil from +P load is not much more than Hornady factory 230gr +P load but the 45 Super load recoils more...about same recoil as my 45 Colt load of 280gr WFN @ 1,080 fps.
I shot a 120 lb. boar hog a while back with the 45 Super load and it completely penetrated the neck of the boar while going through the spine/neck bone.  Later I placed the hog on the side and shot the same load through the shoulder and it completely penetrated both shoulder bones and exited out the bottom.      
View Quote

You were well versed in the setting up of your .45Super conversion then my friend... I spent probably about 15-20 hours reading across 4-5 forums before deciding to go for the conversion and am glad I did. The Springfield "Loaded" conversion is still a heck of a shooter and is about the hardest hitting semi-auto I know of without a full .460 Rowland Conversion plus a compensator which I don't care for in any firearm due to the percussion and increased sound. 460 Rowland is a heck of a round though I have to admit... I'd use a reliable example of one if I lived in Montana or further up in the Northern Hemisphere for sure. For anything south of that the .45Super is a "Super" choice... I ended up selling that beautiful loaded to a college buddy as I fell in love with the CZ-97B and Underwoods 255 grain .45ACP+P Hard Cast "Keith" Load and it's clones and have been carrying that as my dedicated semi-auto for both popping steel silhouettes at the farm and for Wood's Carry. It's a great load too. If anything heavier is needed I carry the M629-3 in a 3" barrel and 305gr Underwood Hard Casts that pack a wallop for sure. I tend to carry that along side my Ruger M44 carbine that shares the same ammo/load the last year hunting though.

All of these guns, conversions, and mentioned loads we all have mentioned are SOLID performers! What they all have in common is a 4 and the name "Keith" representing his heavy for caliber and notably venerable truncated cone hard cast bullet. That profile bullet is a show stopper and winner for sure!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you want a pass through w/ a pistol bullet, try not shooting them through the shoulder into the leg.  
View Quote

Hahahaha! I was on the verge of saying something similar! So true, and bullets won't always act the same every-time. But typically a Hard Cast Keith hitting pelt at 950 FPS will typically pass end thru end on an animal. However, a shoulder blade is a very, very hard bone both in humans and animals. I know because mine was broken in 3 places. It took a drunk in a 20 foot miniature power-boat (Scarab) hitting me at about 45mph to do it though... worse day of my life!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Hahahaha! I was on the verge of saying something similar! So true, and bullets won't always act the same every-time. But typically a Hard Cast Keith hitting pelt at 950 FPS will typically pass end thru end on an animal. However, a shoulder blade is a very, very hard bone both in humans and animals. I know because mine was broken in 3 places. It took a drunk in a 20 foot miniature power-boat (Scarab) hitting me at about 45mph to do it though... worse day of my life!
View Quote

Worst first date I ever went on was when she decided I was riding too slow and did her Venn Diagram incorrectly involving a turn marked 35 mph.  Someone had thoughtfully put a pole in the pole ditch for her to hit and she broke her shoulder blade.  Spent the night w/ her, had breakfast w/ her - in a hospital room.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top