User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be thankful the tow truck driver was honest and didn't pocket it.
View Quote
Cop was probably poking his head into car as TTD popped open the console and saw it.  Why would an honest TTD have any need to pop open the console?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The bigger issue I had was refusing to allow me to get my gun, that was removed from my vehicle, and if they had run the tests/reports their policy says they do and it didn't come back as lost or stolen, that should be proof enough it was mine.
View Quote
That's my issue. I shouldn't have to prove it's mine. What if it was a family heirloom and had no paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think your mistake was leaving a handgun in the car.
View Quote
This.

Stop giving criminals your guns!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with other active and retired LEO's who have posted.  I work for one of the larger agencies in my state, and we do not perform inventories of locked/secured vehicles prior to towing.  We only conduct an inventory when a vehicle is towed due to an arrest, a recovered stolen vehicle, or because of involvement in an accident that has disabled the vehicle.  Also, I am not aware of any agency in my state firing all weapons to enter into a database.  To the best of my knowledge, weapons are only fired by most agencies if they are seized from a criminal suspect or there is another strong reason to believe that the weapon was used in a crime.  We will check recovered guns through NCIC and the ATF to determine if they are stolen, but we do not perform any forensic testing without a reason.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The vehicle was parked legally but did not have the temporary tag on the rear because it was ripped from inclement weather. Rather than leave it without a tag, I placed the ripped tag on the dash so that it was legible. I went in to work and upon leaving the same day my truck was gone. First place I called was impound who did verify they had it but upon mention of the firearm they said they would search exactly where I told them. Upon arriving at the impound lot they told me there was no firearm and they had no record on the tow report nor word of mouth from the officer that a firearm had been found or one had been removed.

I called the district it was towed and they said yes the officers had found and removed it and I'd have to go through the process to get it back. I asked for a report and they said I would have to get any reports from police records.

I called police records and all they had was the tow report. Again did not indicate on it that a gun was found or the removal of any property, despite there being a specific section on the report to indicate any items removed from the vehicle. I asked for the actual report for the incident and they told me there was none but it could just be they didn't have it yet because it can take a day or 2 to show up.

I called a week later and still no police report. I asked the police officers that removed the firearm and they also said no report exists. I asked the district commander and she said no report exists.

Because they didn't see the temp tag on the dash they did not associate the vehicle with anyone and therefore didn't write up and citations or reports on the incident.

Apparently they can remove a firearm from a vehicle but not write up any kind of report on it.

ETA: I don't know if they ran those or not, because again they didn't simply enter it as property. They entered it as a found firearm, same as if they'd found a random gun on the street or in a park.
View Quote
File a formal complaint and report the theft of your firearm based on this info.

Nevermind, saw they are returning the gun or say they will anyway.

I would still file a complaint about the feather legged reason for towing your vehicle in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
They are going to use your gun in a hit then return it to you only to come back later and charge you with the crime
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top