Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 67
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Does safariland make a wml and rds holster for berettas or 1911s?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote

No.

RDS holster options are currently limited.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0086/8689/5184/files/PT_11_4-9-21_Concealment_Duty_and_Tactical_Holsters_for_Pistols_with_Optic.pdf?v=1618934537
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I used an RMR equipment Glock 19.5 MOS in a self defense shooting against an attacking pit bull today. Even under stress, while I was backpedaling and the dog was closing on me I was able to instantly acquire the dot as soon as my pistol came into view just before pressing the trigger. This was at extremely close range and the dot still worked just as intended.

+1 for pistol optics and regular training.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I used an RMR equipment Glock 19.5 MOS in a self defense shooting against an attacking pit bull today. Even under stress, while I was backpedaling and the dog was closing on me I was able to instantly acquire the dot as soon as my pistol came into view just before pressing the trigger. This was at extremely close range and the dot still worked just as intended.

+1 for pistol optics and regular training.
View Quote

Need alot more details.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

Need alot more details.
View Quote

Dog was charging him and he drew his RDS equipped gun and smoked the pooch in self defense and the RDS worked good. What more details do you need? Whether he’s an ATF agent or not since it was a dog? 😂
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
At extremely close range, iron sights would have probably worked just as well. It's always nice to have confidence in your set up, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:

Dog was charging him and he drew his RDS equipped gun and smoked the pooch in self defense and the RDS worked good. What more details do you need? Whether he’s an ATF agent or not since it was a dog? 😂
View Quote

Just curious about the entire event. What environment, dog size, owners reaction(assuming there was one), ammo used.

If he doesn't want to share that is fine
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted a full breakdown in team for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Will an aftermarket GEN 3 optic cut slide work on my GEN 2 Glock 19?

I'm ready to upgrade from this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/20C07418-E5DD-4B3B-98D8-614AA2921C94-1565859.jpg
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Who is the go to for getting a sig p229 slide milled for an RMR?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

Just curious about the entire event. What environment, dog size, owners reaction(assuming there was one), ammo used.

If he doesn't want to share that is fine
View Quote

My backyard

80+ lbs

Lots of screaming and crying

Speer Gold Dot 124 +p
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:06:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Izhevsk54r] [#14]
Aimpoint just announced the ACRO P-2, takes a regular 2032, battery life claims to be 4x longer

ACRO P-2

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r:
Aimpoint just announced the ACRO P-2, takes a regular 2032, battery life claims to be 4x longer

ACRO P-2

https://i.imgur.com/Mpr0Fgcm.png

https://i.imgur.com/O0hnQ8Vm.png
View Quote

Is it any smaller than the original?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]

ACRO P-2

View Quote
Nice. Like to see drop tests.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Doesn’t appear so, but that would probably be asking a bit much to give it a bigger battery and make it smaller
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]

ACRO P-2

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I tried rds rmr on my Glock 17 and never got the feeling for it never found the dot always hunting for it. Switched brands to 320s and put my last rmr on it and the rmr dot is on target most of the time or close to it. I think it's the grip geometry. I have a Glock left but 320 is the future with the military contract and all the vendors the Lego combinations plus all the surplus that the future will bring.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r: Aimpoint just announced the ACRO P-2, takes a regular 2032, battery life claims to be 4x longer
View Quote
Hopefully this is a trend.  I'd love to see Holosun offer a CR2032 battery and eliminate the solar panels and shake-awake.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote

I imagine you might be able to get away with a commander length slide in a Staccato P RDS holster. Full size is no go.

Hilton Yam said the Staccato fit in the 5inch M&P CORE RDS rig before safariland made the Staccato line. I have one on order to try my 5 inch 1911 with RMR. Still on back order from Safariland but I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wickedbeernut:
Hopefully this is a trend.  I'd love to see Holosun offer a CR2032 battery and eliminate the solar panels and shake-awake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r: Aimpoint just announced the ACRO P-2, takes a regular 2032, battery life claims to be 4x longer

They already achieve 50,000 hours with the existing battery and without the use of shake-awake and solar panels.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: They already achieve 50,000 hours with the existing battery and without the use of shake-awake and solar panels.
View Quote
Then get rid of the shake-awake and solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]

ACRO P-2

View Quote

Oof...Trijicon will need to definitely step up their game. A claimed 50k hours on one battery at setting #6.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SIASL: Oof...Trijicon will need to definitely step up their game. A claimed 50k hours on one battery at setting #6.
View Quote
What's an RMR at?  35K hours (four years) at setting #4?  I'm fine with changing the battery once a year.  Not having to remove the RMR would be nice, but that ain't gonna happen with the existing RMR footprint and CR2032 battery.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I just added a MRDS to my long slide 1911 (45 Super) and it definitely showed me how shaky my hold is. I guess old eyes and fuzzy irons just show how bad it wobbles like a bright red dot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#28]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
I just added a MRDS to my long slide 1911 (45 Super) and it definitely showed me how shaky my hold is. I guess old eyes and fuzzy irons just show how bad it wobbles like a bright red dot.
View Quote
I made this meme for you

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Pretty sure it's bigger.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Originally Posted By GaryM:
I made this meme for you

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/079961DD-FA61-4B9A-B173-F0EF82279AF9_jpe-1954372.JPG
As a newer RMR pistol shooter, can confirm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: They already achieve 50,000 hours with the existing battery and without the use of shake-awake and solar panels.

Why? They're proven technology that add even more run time to the system. Ever had a G-Shock with tough solar?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Got my slide back from Jagerwerks today and it looks great. I am going to pick up a Rm06 rmr soon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: Why? They're proven technology that add even more run time to the system.
View Quote
Each is just another potential point of failure.  The solar panels don't increase battery life.  They're intended as a fail safe in the event the battery dies.  I'd prefer to change the battery at regular intervals and not have shake-awake and solar panels.  It's just my personal preference.  Obviously, a lot of guys swear by them (Holosun). Not my cup of tea.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Each is just another potential point of failure.  The solar panels don't increase battery life.  They're intended as a fail safe in the event the battery dies.  I'd prefer to change the battery at regular intervals and not have shake-awake and solar panels.  It's just my personal preference.  Obviously, a lot of guys swear by them (Holosun). Not my cup of tea.  
View Quote

Yep.  Additional failure points for zero gain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 762AR25:

View All Quotes

How do you figure it's zero gain exactly? Extending the life of the battery by putting the optic in stand-by during the hours you're not carrying the gun adds those hours to the usable time per battery. If the battery does die at some point, the optic still functions. How is this zero gain?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By joglee:

Pretty sure it's bigger.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joglee:

Pretty sure it's bigger.

Same size and weight as the original.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: How do you figure it's zero gain exactly? Extending the life of the battery by putting the optic in stand-by during the hours you're not carrying the gun adds those hours to the usable time per battery. If the battery does die at some point, the optic still functions. How is this zero gain?
View Quote
I believe the point being made is there's zero gain if you change the battery on a regular basis.  The Holosun yields 50,000 hours (almost six years) of battery life without shake-awake (granted, YMMV depending on your setting).  That's plenty of battery life for me.  I don't need the shake-awake (or the solar panels).  The Holosun is a nice, high-value MRDS.  Just offer one model without the gimmicks.  Call it the SOCOM model or something.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

How do you figure it's zero gain exactly? Extending the life of the battery by putting the optic in stand-by during the hours you're not carrying the gun adds those hours to the usable time per battery. If the battery does die at some point, the optic still functions. How is this zero gain?
View Quote
Are you wanting to go longer than a year plus without changing batteries?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Because I would never leave any battery in longer than a year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Are you wanting to go longer than a year plus without changing batteries?
View Quote

Nope.  I plan on changing the battery every year.

But you know what they say about plans...

BTW, I love my RMR RM06.  Also plan on picking up the ACRO P2 once it's available.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: Why? They're proven technology that add even more run time to the system.

Well might as well get rid of buttons since it is a point of failure too...

Oh wait, batteries are as well. They leak or become susceptible to environmental factors..

Solar Failsafe allows the red dot sight to remain powered when your battery fails.

Holosun optics with Solar Failsafe feature automatic brightness adjustment; when you’re under the sun you have a bright reticle, when you move indoors it will automatically dim down to match ambient lighting conditions

You know what is pretty cool? Take the battery out of a Holosun with solar, see how much light of any kind will display the reticle...
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Because if Trijicon came up with it, people would be feverishly masterbating to the Trijicon gods of how amazing it is. But they didn’t so they crap on it. Honestly if the stupid excuse of “failure point” is their main concern then they should get rid of the LED model of the RMR they have and switch to the first RMR with tritium/fiber optic type since A) battery and B) circuit board are two failure points...
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:45:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#44]
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM:

Because if Trijicon came up with it, people would be feverishly masterbating to the Trijicon gods of how amazing it is. But they didn't so they crap on it. Honestly if the stupid excuse of "failure point" is their main concern then they should get rid of the LED model of the RMR they have and switch to the first RMR with tritium/fiber optic type since A) battery and B) circuit board are two failure points...
View Quote

If battery life for modern red dots was only a few days or maybe weeks - I'd say shake awake and solar panels would be game changers.  But this isn't the case. You can leave them on for years at a time.

So why introduce these "features" that add cost and complexity when battery life is so insanely long and a replacement coin cell is 50 cents?  

Especially on a pistol red dot, every single component and solder point has to stand up to a lot of G forces, temp swings, etc.

If it reduces reliability even a tiny bit it's not worth it.
If it adds more than 50 cents to the cost it's not worth it.

Its a solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Well might as well get rid of buttons since it is a point of failure too...
View Quote

You might be on to something

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:30:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#46]
I’ve got RMRs on my carry guns.

I just bought a Pac Lite upper to run with a suppressor on my Ruger MkII. I’m looking to add mini red dot to that pistol as well. I won’t be carrying it as a defensive tool and it doesn’t need to endure the punishment of a slide mounted centerfire gun. What would be some good lighter duty options?

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got RMRs on my carry guns.

I just bought a Pac Lite upper to run with a suppressor on my Ruger MkII. I'm looking to add mini red dot to that pistol as well. I won't be carrying it as a defensive tool and it doesn't need to endure the punishment of a slide mounted centerfire gun. What would be some good lighter duty options for optics?
View Quote
Burris or Vortex make some great ones and will replace if you have issues. Buddy has shot a fast fire for years in uspsa and 3 gun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Burris or Vortex make some great ones and will replace if you have issues. Buddy has shot a fast fire for years in uspsa and 3 gun.
View All Quotes
I've got RMRs on my carry guns.

I just bought a Pac Lite upper to run with a suppressor on my Ruger MkII. I'm looking to add mini red dot to that pistol as well. I won't be carrying it as a defensive tool and it doesn't need to endure the punishment of a slide mounted centerfire gun. What would be some good lighter duty options for optics?

I was considering a Burris Fastfire III but I'll take a look at the Vortex as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#49]

If battery life for modern red dots was only a few days or maybe weeks - I'd say shake awake and solar panels would be game changers.  But this isn't the case. You can leave them on for years at a time.

So why introduce these "features" that add cost and complexity when battery life is so insanely long and a replacement coin cell is 50 cents?  

Especially on a pistol red dot, every single component and solder point has to stand up to a lot of G forces, temp swings, etc.

View All Quotes

Because if Trijicon came up with it, people would be feverishly masterbating to the Trijicon gods of how amazing it is. But they didn't so they crap on it. Honestly if the stupid excuse of "failure point" is their main concern then they should get rid of the LED model of the RMR they have and switch to the first RMR with tritium/fiber optic type since A) battery and B) circuit board are two failure points...

And when that 50¢ battery prematurely fails and or leaks rendering it useless?

Remember that each component on the circuit board, along with the battery connectors are soldered on so by your argument the Trijicon is just as prone to having those fail too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#50]

And when that 50 battery prematurely fails and or leaks rendering it useless?

View Quote
It makes you wonder how the military gets by with their Aimpoints and Eotechs.
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top