[#1]
Obsolete Round.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

45-22 TCM
View Quote
I would like to subscribe to this newsletter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Obsolete Round.
View Quote
I would say the .45ACP is the obsolete round.

Have you seen how much empty space is in a .45ACP case after charging it with a modern propellant? The GAP gives the same performance in a more realistic envelope. That translates to a smaller envelope handgun.

The GAP is a great concept cartridge but just doesn't offer anything that would facilitate it catching on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the round will eventually die off, but in order to try and slow or prevent it's demise, I suspect ammo prices for it will come down so that people just might try it out, then, because they found they liked it, it might not die off.

Sure, there are better, and worse rounds, and I don't have any plans on buying one.  I sure wouldn't want to get shot with one of the 45 GAP rounds.
View Quote
If things continue on the state level, I can see .45 GAP  becoming popular again. In NY, NJ, CA, etc... if you're limited to ten rounds. You can either get a subcompact like a G26/27, G29/30, or a G42 or G43. But the fullsize handguns are all huge capacity these days and folks are getting screwed. So they buy 1911s. But someone might want a G19 or G17 size gun in the best cartridge they can get. And with modern JHP loads. The .45 GAP is nothing to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm carrying 1911s
However, I've got a Glock 38
If ever under a 10 round limit Glock 38, 30, (26/27/33) and 1911 are all good choices; whereas a Glock 19/23 (20/21/22) with a 10 round mag is nauseating.

ETA why in the hell the arbitrary number 10.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If things continue on the state level, I can see .45 GAP  becoming popular again. In NY, NJ, CA, etc... if you're limited to ten rounds. You can either get a subcompact like a G26/27, G29/30, or a G42 or G43. But the fullsize handguns are all huge capacity these days and folks are getting screwed. So they buy 1911s. But someone might want a G19 or G17 size gun in the best cartridge they can get. And with modern JHP loads. The .45 GAP is nothing to sneeze at.
View Quote
I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with the 45 GAP cartridge.  I was speaking to how it's current unpopular status could result in lower prices for it's ammo, and that alone might help the cartridge have some kind of resurgence.   The 45 GAP is an entirely adequate self defense cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If the ammo was readily available on the local level at retail stores and there were factory stick mags (example: 20 round mags), I would still be carrying my Gen 4 G37 off duty instead of a Gen 5 G17.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one that I won in a fundraiser auction here on AR15.com.  Captainpooby donated it for the fundraiser.  I don’t remember what the fundraiser was for, but I won two rifles and the .45 GAP.  I have never fired the gun.  I bought a box ammo when I first got the gun, but I have think of taking it to the range.
View Quote
Nice to have that kind of luck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine was delivered today. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow. If things go well I'll be taking it straight to the range.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Picked it up today. Put 100 rounds of 200 grain Speer Lawman through it. Didn't take my 21 to shoot side by side with it, but will try to next range trip. Haven't shot my 21 in awhile so can't directly compare yet. I like it though. Case has a purple label; I think that's an overrun if I remember right. No fired shell casings in the box but serial starts with PUA. I've gotten so used to seeing the four letter serial numbers on new guns that I was a bit surprised seeing the three letter again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/X4RdMmf.jpg

Picked it up today. Put 100 rounds of 200 grain Speer Lawman through it. Didn't take my 21 to shoot side by side with it, but will try to next range trip. Haven't shot my 21 in awhile so can't directly compare yet. I like it though. Case has a purple label; I think that's an overrun if I remember right. No fired shell casings in the box but serial starts with PUA. I've gotten so used to seeing the four letter serial numbers on new guns that I was a bit surprised seeing the three letter again.
View Quote
Did you add the extended slide stop?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
37s come like that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.
Quoted:

37s come like that.
View Quote
This. Slide is wider than the other guns for that frame size. I will say I didn't have any issues closing the slide with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice, did not know they had a gen 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice, did not know they had a gen 4
View Quote
Only for the 37, the 38 and 39 are Gen 3 only.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both the gen-3 and 4 model 37. I use a holster for a 21 with no problems. It’s comfortable to shoot and accurate. I reload and have two five gallon buckets of brass in my reloading room.

The GAP can be reloaded with ACP dies. All you have to do is adjust them. I have a dedicated set of dies on my Dillon toolhead so it’s not a problem. The cases are the same length as the 9mm and use small pistol primers. I have load data for 200 and 230 grain bullets and the cases use small primers.

Factory ammo is still being made and available. A simple google search will provide multiple sources of the ammo. The only downside I’ve seen so far is a mag loading tool is needed to get the tenth round in the magazine. The magazine springs are tight. Use caution when loading 10+1. If you don’t make sure the mag catch is engaged, the magazine will drop out when you fire the first round.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Glock 38 and about 2000 rounds of 45 GAP.
I like it...I had a 39 also but sold it off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have both the gen-3 and 4 model 37. I use a holster for a 21 with no problems. It’s comfortable to shoot and accurate. I reload and have two five gallon buckets of brass in my reloading room.

The GAP can be reloaded with ACP dies. All you have to do is adjust them. I have a dedicated set of dies on my Dillon toolhead so it’s not a problem. The cases are the same length as the 9mm and use small pistol primers. I have load data for 200 and 230 grain bullets and the cases use small primers.

Factory ammo is still being made and available. A simple google search will provide multiple sources of the ammo. The only downside I’ve seen so far is a mag loading tool is needed to get the tenth round in the magazine. The magazine springs are tight. Use caution when loading 10+1. If you don’t make sure the mag catch is engaged, the magazine will drop out when you fire the first round.
View Quote
The 10th is a real beeoch to load by hand with new and older mags.  Adding + Glock Mag extensions will yield +1 on used mags and makes loading the 10th with just fingers much easier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Gather 'round boys and girls! Story time!

Once upon a time, prior to the '03 SHOT show, it seemed as though everyone was beating up Glock for a single-stack full-size .45ACP, ala 1911/P220. Again, the primary reasoning among the fan base tended to indicate an intense desire for a more manageable grip size/ergos of the model 21. And, I reckon, back then capacity wasn't as much of a eotw concern for diehard .45 guys because 7+1 was still considered more than plenty to handle a few turd burglars...and in the off chance it wasn't then you simply moved to cover for a reload (GASP! THE HORROR!) -- lol.

Of course, Glock leaked little tidbits of info here and there for months prior about introducing a new model that all of the big bore fans had been asking for. There were guys all over on the line talking about buying two or three of the new model before it was even announced. All because they feverishly wanted a single-stack, full-size Glock .45ACP so bad; and were certain that it was what everyone was clambering for. Then came the SHOT show...everybody and their brother at the Glock booth...waiting for the announcement...what everyone was waiting for...what everyone wanted so badly... (cue the angels with trumpets) -- the .45 GAP. (insert pee-pee slap emoticon here)

Yep. That's right, folks. Ol' Gaston was so rabid to have his name on his own cartridge (he was not going to be outdone by Sig, btw) that he was going to give it to you whether you wanted it or not. Or, depending who you talked to at the time, whether you needed it or not. Roger that. The great .45 GAP! And you will like it -- non-negotiable.

And the fanboys responded with a resounding YES! All because it came from the anointed one himself.

And all was well in Glock world.

Enjoy!

That is all.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 10th is a real beeoch to load by hand with new and older mags.  Adding + Glock Mag extensions will yield +1 on used mags and makes loading the 10th with just fingers much easier.
View Quote
The irony is that the very people who the smaller grip was intended for are the same people who lack the strength and dexterity to load that 10th round.

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gather 'round boys and girls! Story time!

Once upon a time, prior to the '03 SHOT show, it seemed as though everyone was beating up Glock for a single-stack full-size .45ACP, ala 1911/P220. Again, the primary reasoning among the fan base tended to indicate an intense desire for a more manageable grip size/ergos of the model 21. And, I reckon, back then capacity wasn't as much of a eotw concern for diehard .45 guys because 7+1 was still considered more than plenty to handle a few turd burglars...and in the off chance it wasn't then you simply moved to cover for a reload (GASP! THE HORROR!) -- lol.

Of course, Glock leaked little tidbits of info here and there for months prior about introducing a new model that all of the big bore fans had been asking for. There were guys all over on the line talking about buying two or three of the new model before it was even announced. All because they feverishly wanted a single-stack, full-size Glock .45ACP so bad; and were certain that it was what everyone was clambering for. Then came the SHOT show...everybody and their brother at the Glock booth...waiting for the announcement...what everyone was waiting for...what everyone wanted so badly... (cue the angels with trumpets) -- the .45 GAP. (insert pee-pee slap emoticon here)

Yep. That's right, folks. Ol' Gaston was so rabid to have his name on his own cartridge (he was not going to be outdone by Sig, btw) that he was going to give it to you whether you wanted it or not. Or, depending who you talked to at the time, whether you needed it or not. Roger that. The great .45 GAP! And you will like it -- non-negotiable.

And the fanboys responded with a resounding YES! All because it came from the anointed one himself.

And all was well in Glock world.

Enjoy!

That is all.

Carry on.
View Quote
This is the best Glock story
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Origin: was at Cabelas and saw a single box of .45 GAP and was like dafuq?

Kinda wanna go buy one at a pawn shop just out of curiosity
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#24]
It's funny in a way.

Glock wanted a 45 in n a 9mm-ish frame so they made a new caliber.

S&W made the M&P45 in 45acp and was just done with it.

Same capacity yet the M&P slide width is on par with a G17.

Carries very well too.

Not much point in buying a 45 Gap pistol today unless you really want it. The time 45GAP was released maybe it made sense.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top