Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2001 12:55:09 PM EDT
I want to get my Mom a handgun for her birthday next month, and I'm wondering what to get.

I took her to the range to shoot my Beretta 92 once, and though she shot it relatively accurately, she was limp-wristing it enough that it wasn't feeding most of the time, (the only time that Beretta has EVER malfunctioned) so a semiauto is pretty much out of the queston.

I was thinking one of these Taurus titanium revolvers, probably in .38 special, but not having shot one of these I don't know if it would be too much recoil with the light weight.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
ruger gp100..solid, reliable, very little maintainence...can't go wrong with that one for a home defense gun..
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]

I would say the gp or the sp from Ruger are very good pistols to start with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
low maintance/adjustable sights
38/357 4 inch stainless
Ruger/Smith/Tauris
     vortac is right i would go with the GP100

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger GP100 or a Smith 686. Have her check the grips and sights on each one as they are very different. If you like one, you probably won't like the other.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree, revolver is much more idiot proof.

edited, sorry I didn't mean to imply your mom was an idiot, but KISS ia usually a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
not that ss109 would be implying that your mom is an idot of course...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is going to be a bedside gun I vote for a 6" Python or 686.If it is to carry,then a 66 4" would be good.You are a good son.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think any of the big guns will do much good if she's limp wristing a 9mm. I think she should start like my wife did with a used .22mag. revolver, and a full case of ammo. After she's digested that and learned to shoot, then she'll be tell you what she wants!
If you can teach shooting technique or hire an expert for about 2-3hr. to get the basics down it will go a long way to her enjoyment of firearms. Maybe even a lifesaver.
TF
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My girl friend started with a 9mm ruger p/95 . Same thing with her, limp wrist. I got her a Tarus model 85  38spl. she loves this gun and is very good with it, she weighs 120 lbs, very small wrist, I am changing the grips, as the rubber, "stock" ones give her a blister on her thumb, other than that, no problems, I belive a revolver is the best starter gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I got to shoot a S&W 60 and one of the new Taurus titanium snubbies back to back with the same slightly hot 38 loads.  Suprisingly, the Taurus had much less felt recoil.  Although very light weight, it didn't have the "follow-through" recoil that the Smith had, meaning that it was only a quick short recoil.  Didn't try to roll up out of your hand.

Went through the same thing with my Mom.  Let her hold some and see how they fit her hand.  Many older women have problems with arthritis in their hands reducing their ability to hold the weapon.  Those Taurus gripper grips might be a good choice.

22mag or standard 38 special are probably good calibers to consider.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with a Taurus 85 3" Stainless.  Light recoil, small frame good for women, revolver easier to use than semi-automatic, lighter weight than the awsome rugers listed earlier, costs less.  Great buy!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Read mine and do it.
Ignore the others.
I am serious.
cpermd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top