Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
Thinking about trying something new after 12 years of HK USPc edc.  Is there something better out there?

Has to be hammer fired and as reliable as HK.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ 75 Compact

I have a clone,Canik C100 that carries and shoots very well.

Only reason i went it over CZ was it is a alloy frame,and i can carry it
cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No sarcasm, consider the P30SK.  I like the lines better than the USP series (and the decocker).

While you say hammer fired, I would also suggest the Walther P99c AS. It is also DA/SA, but no hammer.  Really an awesome piece.  Worth checking out.  We like it even more than the P30SK.

ETA: As far as reliability, we have had zero issues with either, regardless of what we have put through them.

And FWIW, we asked a similar question earlier this year and the P99c AS and P30SK came out as front runners. Bunch of other good options for consideration in the thread too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
HK P2000
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig P239
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CZ 75 Compact

cocked and locked.
View Quote
This. A Vintage SIG P228 is a valid candidate as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
P229 Legion or M11-A1
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
P30sk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ P07, since you’re already used to HK mag prices
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Why are you looking to part ways w your H&K USPc in 9mm? I own 3 USPc's all in .45 ACP and I'd like to acquire one in 9mm eventually. What holster are you running?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Better, I'd argue.  Same size, +2 mag capacity, potentially crazy good trigger with Cajun parts.  Mine has been run hard, mostly suppressed, never a jam of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I started with a P229. When my brother was issued a USP, I couldn't wait to shoot it. I mean, HK was the ultimate in firearms.

I was unimpressed. Try a SIG classic (P229). if you really like the polymer frame, go with the SP2022. Supposed to be some new aftermarket support soon.

CZ is an option, but I think their stock triggers are worse than HKs.

Or just stick with your tried and true.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Beretta 92 Compact
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Cajun Gun Works CZ P07, or CGW PCR if you're feeling classy.

Sphinx SDP if you feel like one-upping German engineering and going Swiss
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why are you looking to part ways w your H&K USPc in 9mm? I own 3 USPc's all in .45 ACP and I'd like to acquire one in 9mm eventually. What holster are you running?
View Quote
I'm not really looking to part ways with it.  I have always rotated my handguns except for my HK's and will probably keep it as EDC.  I just thought about trying something new.  I have a leather IWB holster and kydex OWB holster.  The 9mm is like shooting a 22 compared to the 45 USPc and I don't think the USPc 45 is bad at all.  You would probably enjoy it.  I am much more accurate with it than I am with my uspc 45.  My usp 45 tactical is still the most accurate gun I have ever owned though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had a 229 with SRT and it was nice just heavy as an EDC.  I'm sure I would have got used to it if I just carried it.  I have shot the 2202 and didn't care for it.  I may get a CZ and shoot it a bit but the looks of CZ do nothing for me.  Not that it should matter the least bit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.... I love my P-09 and I did a full cajun job on mine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for m11a1 or p229 legion!

I have both and carry both, they are awesome little guns with the legion being the better of the two.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
CZ 75 Compact

I have a clone, Canik C100 that carries and shoots very well.

Only reason I went it over CZ was it is a alloy frame, and I can carry it
cocked and locked.
View Quote
The CZ-75 compact comes in both the regular CZ 75 Compact model that operates in both DA and SA modes like the CZ 75 B model, as well as the de-cocker equipped CZ-75 D Compact model.

The same is true with the CZ 2075 RAMI.  It comes in the standard CZ 75 B format that can be carried DA or SA cocked and locked, and it comes in the de-cocker equipped CZ-2075 D RAMI version.

The CZ 75 compact weighs 32.4 oz empty, while the CZ 2075 weighs 26 oz empty with the shorter 10 round magazine and 26.4 oz with the same 14 round magazine as the CZ 75 Compact.  

The CZ 2075 RAMI pistols come with both a short 10 round magazine and a 14 round CZ 75 magazine that has a finger extension slid over the magazine.

Below is a CZ 75 Compact, cocked and locked, CZ 2075 D RAMI in de-cocked condition with the shorter 10 round magazine:

Here is the same CZ 75 Compact in DA mode with the hammer on the quarter cock notch, and the CZ 2075 D RAMI, in de-cocked condition, and with the longer finger extension equipped magazine.  With the longer magazine the only significant differences are the .7" shorter barrel and the 6 oz weight savings - the width and height are otherwise identical.  

I've had shooters gasp in horror that I'd carry my CZ 75 compact with the hammer on the "quarter cock" notch.  However, it makes sense because the trigger pull and trigger reach are significantly shorter.  It appears that most CZ shooters who have not owned both types don't seem to realize that a de-cocked CZ 75 D model rests the hammer on the exact same notch, given the common parts used in both the B and D variants.   If you are not comfortable with that and want the hammer sitting on the frame instead, then just get one of the CZ 75 B model variants, because you'll have to manually lower the hammer past the de-cock notch anyway if you get one of the D models.

Here are the same two pistols with the hammer lowered all the way to the frame.  The CZ 75 D RAMI has a standard 14 round CZ 75 Compact magazine in it.  

Magazine flexibility is a big plus with the CZ-2075 RAMI versions.  They are both more compact and 6.0 to 6.4 oz lighter then empty, depending on the magazines being used, than the CZ 75 Compact models.  At the same time they offers the same grip diameter and isn't significantly harder to shoot fast and accurately.  With the short 10 round magazine it's an excellent choice for a concealed carry 9mm - easy to conceal and light enough for comfortable all day concealed but still large enough to be comfortable to shoot and practice with enough to be very effective with it - unlike most other sub compact 9mm pistols.

Currently CZ is selling the CZ 2075 D RAMI with night sights for just $30 more than the non de-cocker equipped "B" style CZ 2075 RAMI without night sights.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
To the above post: i understand about the regular CZ's i own four,But they are steel frame ,not alloy.
Also own four clones,so, i am sold on the design.The Canik C100
carries better than the steel frame ones do. I don't do decockers,at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CZ 75 Compact

cocked and locked.
View Quote
This. I double-dog agree with bigthicket - I have this exact pistol and it's a bomb. It shoots where you point it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I figured you understood the difference, but your post made it less than clear for the OP - or anyone else who read it.

Again, just for clarity, the Tristar imported C-100 is derived from the Tanfoglio pistols, which are derived from the CZ 75 series, so it's an indirect descendent of the CZ-75 series with some of the features of the Tanfoglio pistols.

I hear you on the weight, as I stopped carrying my CZ-75 Compact, partly because of weight.   The C-100 weighs 24.5 oz, compared to 30.4 oz for the CZ-75 compact.

However, you may have missed the point that the CZ-2075 RAMI with it's 26 oz weight and smaller size is more concealable than the CZ 75 Compact or the Canik C-100.  The 2 oz in additional weight aides the controllability of the CZ 2075 RAMI, yet isn't enough to make a noticeable difference in all day carry.  Plus if you opt for the shorter and more concealable 10 round magazine the loaded weight is actually less than the loaded weight of the C-100.  Plus the CZ 75 RAMI's steel frame won't suffer from the same frame fatigue life and wear limitations that come with aluminum frames.  It's a win-win.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#22]
If Inhad to have a hammer fired carry gun (and I don’t know why you would need this) but I’d get a CZ Custom SDP. It’s a done up P01 with a new trigger, grips, sights, etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#23]
P-01 is a really sweet gun.  Great size, ergos, easy point and shoot.  Zero issues with ours.  IIRC correctly, only NATO approved sidearm available to civilians (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.)

When I was young and foolish (well foolish at least) I got some advice. My first handgun was a HK USP 9. The guy selling it to me knew it was my first and told me the only three guns worth owning are HK, CZ and Sig. (He and his son were both carrying CZ 75 compacts at the time.)  The second gun I bought was a Hi-Point  After the first trip to the range, the difference was an eye opener and the Hi-Point was sold within a week of buying it and the experience set the tone for future acquisitions.

I know, CSB.  Seeing the recommendations in the thread brought it back.  

I still prefer a hammer gun too.  You can't go wrong with any of the ones listed in the thread Op, but to me I would focus on a CZ, Sig or another HK.  See if you can spend some time with a few of them and maybe one will jump out for you as the next best thing, or reaffirm the USPc9.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I would transition to a 1911, or a CZ-75 Compact.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#25]
P226, p938

Edit to add the springfield xd has a hammer fired version out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, can we get a pic of your well used HK Compact?  I've secretly admired HK USP's for a long time after shooting one at the range.  I just never jumped on that wagon for lack of funds.  

You probably just need to stick with it.  And just shoot something else for fun.  Like a 686.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP, can we get a pic of your well used HK Compact?  I've secretly admired HK USP's for a long time after shooting one at the range.  I just never jumped on that wagon for lack of funds.  

You probably just need to stick with it.  And just shoot something else for fun.  Like a 686.
View Quote
Man, I second this. H&K wear is best wear.

Maybe check out a P2000 or P30?

USPc in 9mm is on my list.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Only thing better than a H&K USP is a P7M8........  

I recently got a Beretta 92C. It's pretty darn good as mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#30]
dbl tap? WTF?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Only thing better than a H&K USP is a P7M813........  

I recently got a Beretta 92C. It's pretty darn good as mentioned earlier.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Most full size guns?

Sorry I don't have to compromise to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top