Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 1:10:57 PM EDT
I'm not very experienced with single actions that require a person to deactivate the safety before shooting. Riding the safety, pressing off the safety as the gun is drawn seems to make the most sense. I have been working with my Hi Power a little and it's all good until I speed things up a bit. Then I start missing the safety as a result of making mistakes. It doesn't help that having the high grip on the gun/safety feels pretty foreign, it's isn't natural, it isn't how I would normally hold the gun.
So I am trying to work toward making it second nature to use a high grip regardless of what I am drawing.

I would like to hear from people with a lot of experience in both areas, probably competition shooters and what your thoughts are on this. Me hanging out in the back yard and doing what I want on my own timetable is not similar to a person trying to be faster and better than all of the other shooters who are trying to be the best.
I **suspect** the best answer is to practice a drawstroke with a high grip, on both kinds of guns, thousands of times, until the correct grip is my go-to and is the only thing that feels right. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You have just stated why so many people do not like a safety on a defensive handgun my friend. You're not alone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You do not learn the technique overnight just not going to happen.  It takes time and practice to get to the point of doing it consistently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not learn the technique overnight just not going to happen.  It takes time and practice to get to the point of doing it consistently.
View Quote
Then I AM on the right track?
Ride the safety, then do the same thing on my striker fired guns?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Firstly a BHP is a bad example to try this with - either model of safety is tiny, easy to miss, and not very positive in letting you know it's actually deactivated. You can remedy it with a C&S extended safety (or one of the other extended safeties). Secondly, it's also not comfortable to shoot that way, as it's not very sleek. The safety isn't blended into the frame at all and can cause discomfort when shooting.

Or you can start trying to learn to do it on a 1911...like everyone else in the civilized world The safety is easier to hit, far more tactile, and so long as the parts aren't stamped out of a piece of sheet steel can be made very slick, so that it won't have any negative impact on your thumb or the joint.

BHPs are very much the odd man out when shooting that way. Really, 1911's are king of that hill.

The same grip is transferable to nearly everything; Glocks, M&Ps, etc. It doesn't translate so well to Sig P-series/classic guns because of where the slide release is..but that's a minor grip adjustment.

It also doesn't translate well to revolvers...unless you enjoy blowing chunks off your thumbs
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have what seems like different modes I switch my mind into when I pick up a 1911 vs Glock.  I have been shooting different pistols for so long that I can pick up any pistol and be proficient with it.  I pride myself in being able to pick up any pistol and being able to work it like I have been shooting it for years.  I can go from a CZ SP-01\P-09 to a Glock 17 to a Sig P226 and to a 1911 in 1 range session and have no issue transitioning between them.  The hardest part is weaving the different holster on to my belt for each switch. If I want to really mix it up I will bring along my P7s and throw them in the mix with a squeeze cocker.  I also like to shoot my friends pistols to practice different equipment.  The only thing that still fumbles me up is an AK because to me it is all backwards with no push button mag release, charging handle is on wrong side, and no bolt hold up on last round.  It is really the only firearm I own that I really just do not like and does not tickle my fancy in any way.
Lately I have been practicing trying to speed up my wheel gun proficentsy but I do not own a holster or speed reloads for my one revolver but I can still practice with what I have.

Keep practicing it will eventually become natural as your program your brain.  The reason I try and be proficient with many weapons is you never know the day you may not have your choice of equipment and you may be stuck with something you are unfamiliar with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been shooting Glocks for close to 30 years and 1911s for 15 or so. I grip them both the same way with a high strong hand thumb. As mentioned above, I have no trouble switching between different platforms. I've owned all matter of handguns, but these are the two I have the most time behind. I shoot them weekly and handle them daily.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have just stated why so many people do not like a safety on a defensive handgun my friend. You're not alone.
View Quote
True, however some of the fastest USPSA shooters have no issue deactivating a manual safety during the draw.  Lots and lots of practice helps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I **suspect** the best answer is to practice a drawstroke with a high grip, on both kinds of guns, thousands of times, until the correct grip is my go-to and is the only thing that feels right.
View Quote

You already answered yourself.  I can sweep a MKII safety just like any 1911.  Pros dry fire for hours a day to be at their level.  Its all about how much you want to practice until it is second nature.  David
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Just use the thumbs forward grip for all you pistols, in time it comes as second nature.  Do not use this grip on revolvers as you may loose a bit of your thumb.

Lots of videos out there from USPSA shooters teaching the grip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
A higher grip will aid in control of all guns
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
All my semi autos are glocks and 1911's. I shoot glocks in a similar  fashion to 1911's, thumb high on grip hand, thumb forward on support hand.

I used to shoot differently before owning 1911's. 1911's forced me to learn thumb high(forward), made me a better shooter. Riding the safety is the only way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You already answered yourself.  I can sweep a MKII safety just like any 1911.  Pros dry fire for hours a day to be at their level.  Its all about how much you want to practice until it is second nature.  David
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm starting to get it a little. 10 or 15 slow methodical shots. 1 shot, reholster. Mixed with random snap caps.

Quoted:
Just use the thumbs forward grip for all you pistols, in time it comes as second nature.  Do not use this grip on revolvers as you may loose a bit of your thumb.

Lots of videos out there from USPSA shooters teaching the grip.
Videos, perfect. Instead of me just trying to figure it out myself.

Quoted:
A higher grip will aid in control of all guns
I'm starting to see how this could be pretty easy to like.

Quoted:
All my semi autos are glocks and 1911's. I shoot glocks in a similar  fashion to 1911's, thumb high on grip hand, thumb forward on support hand.

I used to shoot differently before owning 1911's. 1911's forced me to learn thumb high(forward), made me a better shooter. Riding the safety is the only way.
Yep. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have flicking the safety off so deeply ingrained I have to slow down to remove the gun from the holster and NOT automatically turn it off.

I also have lowered thumb safeties on all my 1911 pattern guns since the joint at the base of my thumb is fused and cannot bend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top