Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2017 12:00:19 PM EDT
I've shot 700 rounds out of this Glock 26 without issue.
This is the top frame pin and cleaning it today I noted what appears to be a finish coming off.
Anybody ever see this before.?
Could it affect function?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What appears to be rubbing there?

I'm a bit perplexed why it's that spot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What appears to be rubbing there?

I'm a bit perplexed why it's that spot.
View Quote
I just had a new extended slide stop installed. Could that have something to do with it? I never noticed this before.took it to my LGS he installed the slide stop while I waited. I shot the gun 100 rounds after installation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just had a new extended slide stop installed. Could that have something to do with it? I never noticed this before.took it to my LGS he installed the slide stop while I waited. I shot the gun 100 rounds after installation.
View Quote
Maybe but I kind of doubt it's the extended slide slop since the rubbing also goes far right of that.

possibilities:
-brass is rubbing there on extraction
-The barrel is somehow touching it? (Remember a Glock barrel goes up and down a little)
-The underside of the slide is rubbing there?

I would check the underside of the slide by the breech face and see if it's wearing on the left side
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any wear on the slide
Phone won't let me load another picture right now
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It's also possible that pin got not so great bluing on it

The slide stop spring may have started a small flake which took that whole area of bluing off

I'd other another pin and see if the same thing happens

Good news is that if that's the case it's pretty much cosmetic and won't effect function much.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it just cosmetic? If so I don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally normal and I would not worry about it.  If it bothers you that much get a stainless steel pin to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Glocks are super easy to work on. Give it a try next time. You can can completely disassemble down to individual piece parts and reassemble in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Normal. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guts. Was going to the gun show anyway, do took it and had a man who sets up a table specifically to work on Glocks. He popped it out and says it was just paint knocked off. Apparently this is common, but I've never noticed it before.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's just bad blueing. That's a pretty cheap part and probably doesn't get a whole lotta care when they blue it since it's less than a $5 part. I wouldn't worry and if it starts weirding you out you can always replace it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Normal...........Nothing to worry about, that happens when people actually use your firearms. If for some reason you are bothered by it, you can always buy those fancy looking high speed stainless steel pins and replace the worn OEM pins.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Normal...........Nothing to worry about, that happens when people actually use your firearms. If for some reason you are bothered by it, you can always buy those fancy looking high speed stainless steel pins and replace the worn OEM pins.
View Quote
Thanks I do shoot this I've kept a round count and its 700. I also shoot a lot of other guns so 700 for just one gun is a lot for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Bluing doesn't flake...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bluing doesn't flake...
View Quote
Glock armorer said it is paint
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Took it ou and shot 50 rounds no issue. Not the only Glock I own but the one I end up carrying most often.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
It appears to just be cosmetic and chrome plated finish coming off. I take it that these aren't the stock Glock pins cause those are black anodized and not stainless or chrome plated. Either way, it shouldn't affect function of the pistol. Glocks are extremely easy to detail strip and you should give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you use to clean it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It appears to just be cosmetic and chrome plated finish coming off. I take it that these aren't the stock Glock pins cause those are black anodized and not stainless or chrome plated. Either way, it shouldn't affect function of the pistol. Glocks are extremely easy to detail strip and you should give it a try.
View Quote
It is just a steel pin painted black.  Anodizing is done to Aluminium or other nonferrous metals.  Totally normal for a Glock that sees use.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is just a steel pin painted black.  Anodizing is done to Aluminium or other nonferrous metals.  Totally normal for a Glock that sees use.
View Quote
You are correct, it's definitely not anodized. I thought they were parkerized and not just painted on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You are correct, it's definitely not anodized. I thought they were parkerized and not just painted on.
View Quote
Cheap steel pin with a basic paint.  I know some people change them to stainless steel or titanium.  I have never had an issue with the stock ones but most of mine are chipped or missing spots of the paint.  I wish Glock would use a melonited steel pin instead of painted honestly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Breakfree
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What do you use to clean it?
View Quote
Breakfree
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's the stock pin
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I'll go look at my Glocks now, I can't honestly say I pay attention to the pins that much...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think I'll go look at my Glocks now, I can't honestly say I pay attention to the pins that much...
View Quote
I've had Glocks for years, currently have a total of 10. I've never noticed it before, hence this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've had Glocks for years, currently have a total of 10. I've never noticed it before, hence this thread.
View Quote
Same here. I've owned probably close to 100 Glocks and currently own about 40. I can't say I've ever really payed much attention to the finish of the pins and don't ever remember the finish coming off of any of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#28]
My Gen 4 19 has some light light marks. I think it's around 1k through it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I always assumed it was the tail of the slide stop spring rubbing there over time and rotation of the pin?

It doesn't affect function and all mine look that way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had this same issue come up several times. Sometimes, the pin is not completely "blued" or finished and rotates or moves to expose the unfinished area.

None of the pins are directly impacted by the side or barrel, so nothing should be beating the finish off the pin. Although I have seen them break in heavy use guns (all were 40 cal) as the locking block gets hammered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top