Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 7:01:41 AM EDT
I'm looking for a new pocket pistol. Occasionally this will be used while backpacking (not in bear country, but I want something that will work with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads). I've got a very strong preference towards 9mm to avoid having to stock another kind of ammo. It needs to be pocket-able because I will occasionally need to carry this gun with a 40+ lb backpacking pack that interferes with standard IWB holsters.

What I'm thinking about are:

Sig P938: I really want to like this gun, but the left side of the safety pinches my hand when I take it off (using my right thumb). Really want to like this gun...but if you check the floor models at Elite Guns on West Parmer, you'll probably find some of my blood under that safety from when I was looking at the gun a few days ago and the dang thing bit me. Really nice trigger, not the greatest options for holsters, but decent enough holsters and good sights are available. Excellent trigger.

Ruger LC9s (Academy Sports cerekote version): I really like this gun, but have concerns about the finish. I like the single safety for pocket carry, and I'm okay with it not being fully ambidextrous...I'm just really concerned about the finish and rust. I do a lot of hiking, including 10+ mile days in 100 degree weather (gotta love Texas summers). I also really like having a mag disconnect on a carry gun. Good enough options for sights, and great options for holsters. Ok trigger, but not great.

M&P Shield: All six of the handguns I currently own are from S&W, so I've got to at least give S&W a chance. I don't like the tiny hard-to-use safety on that gun though, and it's on the big side for pocket carry, maybe too big.

Any advice would be appreciated. Hoping to make a purchase Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
if you like Glocks, don't overlook the G43... you want a dedicated pocket holster
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you like Glocks, don't overlook the G43... you want a dedicated pocket holster
View Quote
I can't stand Glocks though. They just feel to blocky.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The G43 feels much different than its full size brethren.  My complaint about it is the pistol is tiny as Hell and my jolly green giant hands has trouble holding on to it but it shoots really well for the size it is.  Aftermarket support is awesome as well for holsters, sights, and just about anything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
A G43 is about as blocky as an LC9S
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had an LC9 before the G43 I have and got rid of it because the grip swells swell in and it is so hard to grip.  The pistol literally each time I fired would lift in my hand because I could not get any traction on it no matter how hard I gripped.  Then the harder I gripped the worse my shooting got granted it was the original LC9.  I ended up selling it to the FIL and he loves it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Beretta Nano, completely slick on both sides, nothing to bite ya.

Mine's been 100% reliable out of the box, not painful to shoot either, I run heavy self defense  loads as it's my summertime EDC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Walther PPS. The M2 comes with a US-style push button mag release and a slightly "more ergonomic" grip I guess, but I'm really happy with my M1 and the ambi paddle mag release. %100 reliable with brass ammo; it doesn't like aluminum cased stuff due to the stepped chamber. I actually bought a spare barrel for mine that I'm going to send off to Adco to be extended and threaded for a can

It's a little big for true pocket carry but it recoils like a full size gun and it's actually comfortable to shoot. I was really surprised by it.

And it's really, really thin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had an LC9 before the G43 I have and got rid of it because the grip swells swell in and it is so hard to grip.  The pistol literally each time I fired would lift in my hand because I could not get any traction on it no matter how hard I gripped.  Then the harder I gripped the worse my shooting got granted it was the original LC9.  I ended up selling it to the FIL and he loves it.
View Quote
That's how I feel about the G43. Tries to twist out of my hand with every shot despite whatever I do to enhance the grip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that you said the "grip swells swell" but if you grip with your firing hand more, it's always harder to control a pistol.  Just a suggestion, but try firing it with your support hand applying about 80% pressure with the firing hand applying the remaining 20%.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know that you said the "grip swells swell" but if you grip with your firing hand more, it's always harder to control a pistol.  Just a suggestion, but try firing it with your support hand applying about 80% pressure with the firing hand applying the remaining 20%.
View Quote
Trust me I tried everything.  It took me getting surgical tape and wrapping the grip so it had palm swells.  If I did not grip the pistol hard enough with my primary hand even with Hulk grip support hand the pistol would lift up during recoil so each time after I fired I would have to choke back up to get the pistol back down in my hand.  This was never a problem with the Walther PPS M1 because that pistol had a bigger backstrap that helped fill my hand and the G43 has somewhat of a hump to do this as well.  I am the guy who can pick up a G21 (not SF) and it feels good and fits in the hand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
try a Taran Tactical +2 extension on your G43
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a Glock fan but the G43 is pretty awesome for this application.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pocket carry one everyday. Outstanding pistol. I'm not the biggest glock fan, but the damn thing works and fits my needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Find a place that will let you stick the shield in your pocket and see if it will work for you.........

I bought a standard LC9s pro strictly for pocket carry..... it shoots great has been 100% reliable through 500 rnds cheap ammo 100 rounds hst 124.

If your concerned about the finish idk if it's a good candidate or not. I carry mine in my pocket with a home made kydex holster that just covers part of the slide and all of the trigger.  If i don't oil it every day it rust.  The finish on mine is basically destroyed now after one Texas summer.
I still like the gun and it serves it's purpose but if looks is a concern after serious pocket carry in Texas idk if  you would.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My pocket 9mm is a Rohrbaugh R9 and I love it, best pocket gun ever!! haha, also most expensive pocket gun I own. Sometimes I carry a cheap little Ruger LCP II 380acp, it's so small and light I don't even notice it's there. The Rohrbaugh isn't really much bigger than the LCP, but it's heavier and it's noticeable in your pocket. I use the same DeStantis pocket holster for both.

Out of the guns you mentioned the Sig P938 is a nice little 9mm that you could probably pocket carry. The Shield is a great gun, very reliable and durable, but it's too big and heavy for the pocket, but great for IWB.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Find a place that will let you stick the shield in your pocket and see if it will work for you.........

I bought a standard LC9s pro strictly for pocket carry..... it shoots great has been 100% reliable through 500 rnds cheap ammo 100 rounds hst 124.

If your concerned about the finish idk if it's a good candidate or not. I carry mine in my pocket with a home made kydex holster that just covers part of the slide and all of the trigger.  If i don't oil it every day it rust.  The finish on mine is basically destroyed now after one Texas summer.
I still like the gun and it serves it's purpose but if looks is a concern after serious pocket carry in Texas idk if  you would.
View Quote
I'm more worried about function than looks, but a rusted out gun isn't going to function.

FWIW, the Academy Sports version (cerakoted) that I saw this afternoon had rust on the barrel and and the cerekote was worn through on the slide in several places.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotta chime in with my favorite pocket pistol....that being the Kahr CM9. Small, easy to pocket carry, even with the extended magazines, nothing but a trigger, mag latch, and slide stop. They have very solid trigger pulls, even if some people think they are too long. I assure you after 100 rounds or so, you will not even notice it. I have owned several Kahrs over the years, and the only problem I ever had was one of my CW 45 mags developed a split on the back left corner. Kahr sent me 2 free replacement mags after one phone call.

Yes, there have been a few people who have had other problems with their Kahrs. There have been people who have problems with Glocks, XDs, SIGS, HK, Colt, Hi-Point etc, etc,. Gonna happen to the best and the worst of guns. Mine have all been trouble free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#18]
My Kahr CM9 has served me quite well.

The front sight was getting loose, noticed last month.  Bought a Dawson Precision back front sight.  Easy to mount. Added a dab of white paint.

Easy in the pocket, Iwb or in my HPG kit bag
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm more worried about function than looks, but a rusted out gun isn't going to function.

FWIW, the Academy Sports version (cerakoted) that I saw this afternoon had rust on the barrel and and the cerekote was worn through on the slide in several places.
View Quote
All of my rust issues are surface rust on the outside of the gun. When i wipe it off every day with an oily rag no issues.
Three days or more and it has surface rust.....   Nothing that would stop it from working I've shot it multiple times like that with my carry ammo just to test it.
It gets filthy in my pocket

Not trying to sell you on one just an accurate description. I like mine because it's reliable.

JMO cerekote either isn't as great finish as people make it out to be or it's hard to apply properly because every hard used cerekote gun i've seen looks like crap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Try the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, it fits my hand like a glove (swappable backstraps) and is accurate more like a much larger pistol....at least for me.

I've never tried the Sub-compact model, but know that it does not feature the rotating barrel system that reduces felt recoil that the larger ones do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I was really impressed with the Shield 9mm, I find out to 15meters it shoots just as well as my g19.  It's a really soft shooter for it's size.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I pocket carry a Shield regularly.  Works well with jeans.  With shorts, some pockets are deeper than others.  I use a Sticky holster.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry, the LC9/LC9s is junk like the rest of Ruger’s centerfire pistols...  There is a reason why Ruger does not win agency contracts.

The Sheild is an excellent pistol, but the added footprint over other options really shows when you go putting it in a pocket.

Regardless of anyone’s emotional aversion to Glock pistols, the G43 is the best “poket size” 9mm striker-fired auto on the market right now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Kahr cm9 - it's a true pocket pistol and has a great trigger like a nice s&w revolver
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Why would anyone want a magazine disconnect in a carry pistol?

Serious question.

I have a P938, and truly believe it's the last pocket carry gun I'll ever own.  Your experience with the safety steers you away, OP.  I shoot left-handed, and don't have an issues, maybe because I have smaller hands?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
While there are some good options mentioned, I'll take my P938 over the others everyday.

Curious to know what you decided to go with OP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
LC9s comes in stainless now .
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My LC9S pro has been my edc carry the last two or three summers. About 600 rounds through it. 115, 124, 147 and a few mags full of 147 HST+p all without issues. I carry it in a Alien Gear IWB.  It's been in the water with me while working on irrigation.  I've found rust on the mag release button. No rust on the bbl or slide where the finish is worn off.

Personally, I wouldn't pocket carry one. I keep keys and whatnot in my pockets. If i did, it would have to go into a pocket holster of some kind.
My only issue, and it hasn't been an issue, is that the mag release sticks out and is unshrouded.

When I bought it, I had a Shield, Kahr, and the Ruger on the counter top. Both he Shield and the Kahr felt better in my hand but I decided on the Ruger because I felt that it MIGHT be slightly more concealable. I figured I'd be carrying it a lot more than shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Honestly I have pretty much tried them all ( ok not the rorhbaugh) and have concluded my late 60's j frame is still getting the job done. None were more accurate and none beat the little j for reliability either. Sure they offer better capacity and a quicker reload ( not that much quicker if you have been running a wheel for 30+ years like me) I was ready to commit to a new pocket gun, but wasn't feeling that the pocket 9's were so vastly superior to my j frame to make the investment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I like my Kahr PM9 when I pocket carry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I was worried about the finish on the LC9s pro, but it hasn't rusted.  I carry it mostly IWB but occaisionally in my pocket, and I have gotten sweat on it.  It's way cooler up here so I don't doubt that yours would be exposed to a lot more sweat.

I looked at the G43, the shield and the LC9S pro before deciding on the Ruger.  I picked it because it was the smallest, has by far the best trigger, was the least expensive, and comes with a 7 round mag.  The cons are that it only comes with one mag, the mags are pricey, and the finish is blued.  

maybe once a week I wipe it down with an oily rag and that has worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Kahr PM/CM9s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]

That's a PPS on the bottom, with a G19 and a 1911 on top.  This thing is thin and is a tack driver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top