Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 8:32:13 PM EDT
pretty new, something like 1000 rounds through it.

lots of stovepipes and a few double feeds shooting both federal aluminum and blazer. worse with obvious limp wristing but still a few when definitely holding super tight.

zero problems with brass case and hollow point.

any input appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
gen 3 glock 19. pretty new, something like 1000 rounds through it.

lots of stovepipes and a few double feeds shooting both federal aluminum and blazer. worse with obvious limp wristing but still a few when definitely holding super tight.

zero problems with brass case hollow point.

any input appreciated.
View Quote
Then do not use that ammo
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes - steel and aluminum cased ammo are crap but cheap to shoot. It's normal and happens to me as well. Look at this way- lets you practice malfunction drills
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. I had some issues with the aluminum cased Blazer stuff in my third gen G17 and G19.  The G19 is x < 1,000 rounds and the G17 is x > 1,000 rounds. I like cheap ammo (I run the crap out of Wolf through my AR's), but this stuff is just garbage (FTE and FTF issues).  

I was shocked at how bad it was. I liked steel cased ammo (it's economical to shoot and functions fine for me), so I figured I'd give this stuff a try. Fortunately I only bought one box.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
19.4 has never had issues with Blazer Aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
All factory Glock?    

If so, replace the ejector.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Measure the case rim and see if it's square where the extractor hook it.

Check your extractor.

Are you having double feeds or FTEx?  Two totally different things.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any Glocks anymore, but I've used the Federal Aluminum 115gr. FMJ in several different makes and models of pistols with no issues at all.

The stuff is loaded on the hot side too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

any input appreciated.
View Quote

@opie999
I don't think it's the ammunition
I've used almost 1,000 rounds of blazer aluminum through my g17 gen3 with zero issues
Has to be an issue with either the extractor or magazine if you're getting both stove pipe and double feed
Is that double feeding two live rounds?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All factory Glock?    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All factory Glock?    

yes all stock. i thought about trying an apex extractor, never considered the ejector.

Quoted:
Measure the case rim and see if it's square where the extractor hook it.

Check your extractor.

Are you having double feeds or FTEx?  Two totally different things.
mostly failure to eject, classic stovepipes. a few to extract. and i thought couple double feeds, though i could be wrong on that they may have just been failure to extracts.

bunch of different mags same problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have not had any issues with the aluminium .40 but I have had a few problems with the 9mm.

Aluminum Federal 9mm is the only ammo that has caused issues in my shield. Stovepipe and failure to feed. Not a problem for me as it is cheap range ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@opie999
I've used almost 1,000 rounds of blazer aluminum through my g17 gen3 with zero issues
Has to be an issue with either the extractor or magazine if you're getting both stove pipe and double feed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any input appreciated.

@opie999
i tend to agree as i've gone through lots of it in other guns with no problems also. weird that its only aluminum with the glock and it's consistently a problem. hundreds of rounds and two different kinds doing the same thing. makes me think it's maybe the chamber and expansion rate whatever of the aluminum vs brass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

any input appreciated.
View Quote

So you don't think it's the ammo even though the gun fires brass ammo with no issues ? If it was the gun it would do it with all ammo ? Don't you think ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Had this issue once wil Al case ammo.  It was one box in particular and if you looked close enough you could see case deformation like the ammo case the box came in had taken a super hard impact during shipping and deformed some of the cases.  It chocked in my neighbors XDm, and my G34.  Never had the issue since.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Clean your chamber recently?  Check the extractor for chips. Take pics of the cases that are getting stuck. Look for bulges, cracks, extractor marks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm still suggesting starting with ejector.   Saw similar with a low power batch of brass ammo in a 17.   Updated ejector and no further worries.   There is a new style part.    

Take it to a GSSF match, Glock LE distributer and have an armorer go thru it.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

any input appreciated.
View Quote

My brothers gen 3 19 acted just as you describe.
He sent the stripped slide to glock for ns they replaced all internals it now functions 100% with anything.

We've never went to the trouble of swapping parts to see what it was but "suspect" the extractor even though we can't see anything "wrong" with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Had some weak extraction with Tula yesterday in my gen 4 34 but no malfunctions, funny though, it didn't extract weak in my 43??
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm still suggesting starting with ejector.   Saw similar with a low power batch of brass ammo in a 17.   Updated ejector and no further worries.   There is a new style part.    

Take it to a GSSF match, Glock LE distributer and have an armorer go thru it.  

Good luck.
View Quote
a bit of googling is telling me the ejector may be the problem.

it has a 336 ejector (like all gen 3s i think). people saying the 30274 will fix it. it does do brass to the face occasionally but that never bothered me much. probably gonna try swapping ejector.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have never had any issues in my Glocks or come to think of it any pistols I have shot the aluminum case through.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had problems with aluminum cased blazer in the past.  Now all I buy is Wolf WPA for practice, it's very underrated for the price IMHO.  I have shot cases of it through all my handguns with zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Blazer and Federal Aluminum are my favorite loads. Tens of thousands fired in the past 15 years. All my Glocks love them and never a problem. My G17 jammed a few times recently with Independent Aluminum 115FMJ loads a few times but my other Glocks shoot it fine.

It's possible that you got a bad box/lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I have shot a few 1000 Federal Aluminum out of a 2nd gen19 and 2nd gen 17.  Also Beretta 92 , Sig 226,Sig 228, CZ 75, and a  Browning Hi power. No  problems.   I would send call Glock and see if you can just send the slid back.  They are great and will fix it. I bought a gen 2 21 with problems. Some one tried to do a trigger job on it. They rebuilt it  for free . Its 100% now.  Hell  if you ask nice they may even send you a shipping label .
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]
The simplist thing to do is to simply not shoot that ammo. However from my experiences with my Glock 19s and 43s and the BTF issue I learned from a tech at Glock that a lot of times issues like this are caused by tolerance stacking. Because Glocks allowable tolerance variances between parts are all over the place you sometimes get tolerance stacking. In as little as 500rnds you can go from a perfectly functioning gun to a gun that throws brass back at you. If you kept shooting it, it is possible as the gun wears in more that tollerance will shift again and the gun will function 100% again or the problem will get worse.

At Glock that is what the techs had to keep doing to my Glock 43. They would basicly have to keep changing parts out to get it to run right. It would work great for a thousand rounds or so and then it would start chunking brass straight up in the air. I drive down to Glock they confirm the problem, replace parts, it works again for awhile, and repeat.

All of my Glocks are third gens. One G17 and multiple G19s. The fix for them as been the Apex FRE extractor kit. A non-LCI spring loaded bearing, and the 30274 ejector. In fact this fix has worked so well I don't even bother fucking around to see how the gun performs out of the box. This is a standard upgrade I make on day one. The results are always the same. Perfect extraction and ejection even with lower powered ammo. No erratic ejection or BTF. Now if Apex would make an FRE kit for the G26 and G43 so I can enjoy shooting those again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The simplist thing to do is to simply not shoot that ammo. However from my experiences with my Glock 19s and 43s and the BTF issue I learned from a tech at Glock that a lot of times issues like this are caused by tolerance stacking. Because Glocks allowable tolerance variances between parts are all over the place you sometimes get tolerance stacking. In as little as 500rnds you can go from a perfectly functioning gun to a gun that throws brass back at you. If you kept shooting it, it is possible as the gun wears in more that tollerance will shift again and the gun will function 100% again or the problem will get worse.

At Glock that is what the techs had to keep doing to my Glock 43. They would basicly have to keep changing parts out to get it to run right. It would work great for a thousand rounds or so and then it would start chunking brass straight up in the air. I drive down to Glock they confirm the problem, replace parts, it works again for awhile, and repeat.

All of my Glocks are third gens. One G17 and multiple G19s. The fix for them as been the Apex FRE extractor kit. A non-LCI spring loaded bearing, and the 30274 ejector. In fact this fix has worked so well I don't even bother fucking around to see how the gun performs out of the box. This is a standard upgrade I make on day one. The results are always the same. Perfect extraction and ejection even with lower powered ammo. No erratic ejection or BTF. Now if Apex would make an FRE kit for the G26 and G43 so I can enjoy shooting those again.
View Quote
good to hear. i just changed the ejector and the apex extractor and non-lci spring loaded bearing are in the mail.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
just don't shoot aluminum case ammo and problem solved. Aluminum cased ammo aint that much cheaper than brass cased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top