Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2017 11:40:57 PM EDT
Stopped in a local shop last week and noticed a used P10C. Checked it out and the thing looked brand new. Couldn't have been more than a mag or two thru it. Talked them down slightly below $400 so I grabbed it. I mainly bought the P10C because I already have a P-07 that came with mags that will work in the P10C.

While I was there, they also had a Steyr M9A1. I asked to see it and was amazed at how it felt. Not knowing anything about them, I started to do some research. Reviews looked good so I start looking around. As luck would have it I found one, never fired, 3 mags instead of two and the guy had an IWB holster for it. I couldn't pass it up so I bought it.

Finally got them out to the desert today. Took my P-07, G19, Steyr M9A1, and P10C to compare them all.

I was absolutely amazed by the Steyr. I really didn't expect to like it much but I love it. It was the softest shooting of all of them. Ran thru about 500-600rds between them but mainly focused on the Steyr and P10C. No failures of any kind out of any of them. The P10C was ok, but didn't really impress me like the Steyr. I did have to knock down the front and rear grip texture on the P10C prior to shooting as it was a bit sharp for me.

I didn't even mind the funky sights on the Steyr and actually did well with them. I'm not going to replace them.

If you get a chance to shoot a Steyr, go for it. I now have to pick up other sizes as well.  

Left to right. P10C, P-07, G17, G19, Steyr M9A1, G21.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Steyr M9A1, G19

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Lucky find.  i have been waiting and watching for a good price on a Steyr M9A1 or S9A1.  Hard to come by around here seemingly at any price.  Only ever heard good things about them.  Appreciate the pics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a chance to shoot a Steyr M9A1 a few years ago. IMHO, it could easily rival/surpass the Glock 19. It surpasses some of the other polymer striker guns. Steyr just suck at marketing it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lucky find.  i have been waiting and watching for a good price on a Steyr M9A1 or S9A1.  Hard to come by around here seemingly at any price.  Only ever heard good things about them.  Appreciate the pics.
View Quote
Don't know how far away it is from you, but The Gun Shop in Kenosha has some here

Steyrs have to be one of the most unknown and underrated handguns around, thanks to Steyr's lack of marketing.  I've been seeing more reviews for them recently out on YouTube, so hopefully that's a good sign.  Finding aftermarket accessories can be a pain at times, but I find it worth the effort. Holster selection is slowly growing.  Depending on how I'm carrying, my S9/M9/M357 sit in AlienGear, StealthGear, or Vedder holsters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to choose one striker fired pistol to own, the Steyr M9-A1 would be it. I wish there was a tritium option from Steyr for the trapezoidal sights. That's my only complaint. I could put aftermarket 3 dots in, but I love the triangle sights.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't know how far away it is from you, but The Gun Shop in Kenosha has some here

Steyrs have to be one of the most unknown and underrated handguns around, thanks to Steyr's lack of marketing.  I've been seeing more reviews for them recently out on YouTube, so hopefully that's a good sign.  Finding aftermarket accessories can be a pain at times, but I find it worth the effort. Holster selection is slowly growing.  Depending on how I'm carrying, my S9/M9/M357 sit in AlienGear, StealthGear, or Vedder holsters.    
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. Bit far, but not out of range. Hoping I can find one on the cheap though from someone who doesn't appreciate what they have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been reading some very good comments about the Steyr during past year or so.  I had read in the past that earlier ones had some reliability issues so that put me off looking closely at them. Apparently that issue has been resolved.

Locally they are not exactly scare, but the shops tend to carry on one example at a time. It seems like many shooters don't even know what they are. I have handled them and they feel great in the hand, which is nice since they have to be one of the most butt-ugly handguns out there (yes it is in the eye of the beholder).

I may break down and buy one since I love striker fired handguns. Of course if I don't like it I would likely never be able to sell it or get a decent trade since, again, many shooters know nothing about them and their looks are off-putting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting. My carry pistol is a CZ 75 of some sort or an M9. The last time I shot the M9 I had a little trouble aiming because of the grip angle, partly as a result I am thinking of picking up a P10.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If any of you guys had the C9, L9, or S9 I'd love to see some pics showing the size differences.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If any of you guys had the C9, L9, or S9 I'd love to see some pics showing the size differences.
View Quote
there is a guy named Cyanide that has posted those pics on several gun forums.  try a google search for Cyanide+Steyr+size
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The Steyr sure is ugly but man they feel good in hand.

I haven't been able to shoot one but can't say I'm surprised at your reaction. Everyone that has one loves them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

S9A1 on the bottom, M9A1 in the middle, M357A1 on top.  A C9 will have a S9 sized barrel/slide, but a M9 sized grip.

S9 has a 3.6" barrel
M9 has a 4.0" barrel
L9 has a 4.5" barrel

And no, the picture or the M9A1 and M357A1 aren't messed up.  I'm a lefty, so the magazine release has been moved to the right side.  The S9A1 is older (Mfd. Aug 2013), so it doesn't have the reversible magazine release.  All are wearing Talon Grips.

I'll try to grab some more pictures from different angles that show them side by side.

ETA: A couple of more pics;

Side by side comparisons between S9A1 and M9A1.

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3011_JPG-300470.jpg

S9A1 on the bottom, M9A1 in the middle, M357A1 on top.  A C9 will have a S9 sized barrel/slide, but a M9 sized grip.

S9 has a 3.6" barrel
M9 has a 4.0" barrel
L9 has a 4.5" barrel

And no, the picture or the M9A1 and M357A1 aren't messed up.  I'm a lefty, so the magazine release has been moved to the right side.  The S9A1 is older (Mfd. Aug 2013), so it doesn't have the reversible magazine release.  All are wearing Talon Grips.

I'll try to grab some more pictures from different angles that show them side by side.

ETA: A couple of more pics;

Side by side comparisons between S9A1 and M9A1.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3019_JPG-300502.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3016_JPG-300503.jpg
View Quote
Awesome. Thank you.

Based on the S9 and M9 pics the difference between the C9 and M9 would be minimal.

Just started looking into te S9 and noticed that they are all 10rd mags with a large spacer at the bottom of the mag. Can't believe they just didn't increase the capacity. That was disappointing to learn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
L9s in the back, M9s in the foreground.  Only difference is about 1/2 inch more slide and frame.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just started looking into te S9 and noticed that they are all 10rd mags with a large spacer at the bottom of the mag. Can't believe they just didn't increase the capacity. That was disappointing to learn.
View Quote
If you really want to have a 12 rd S9 mag, then a thread in the Steyr forum describes how to here.  I'm o.k. with a 10-rounder as long as I have one or two 17 rounders on me for spares. But now that I think about it.........damn it I may have to experiment!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't mind the PW Arms imported Steyr:
Steyr M9A1 $349.00 new

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you don't mind the PW Arms imported Steyr:
Steyr M9A1 $349.00 new

View Quote
I'm new at these but that looks like the older model with the older mag release and without the roll pin under the rear sight. Also, no funky factory sights on that model. I actually like the factory sights.

Im unsure about other changes between these and the new ones but that doesn't seem bad for the price though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]
love me C9.. could never get used to the trap sights so i swapped to 3 dot.

Wilhelm Bubits designed the pistol after he consulted for Glock. Now he works for Caracal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quiet man, you're going to let the secret out!  Then every yahoo will have one!

Seriously, the M9A1 is my favorite handgun.  I have a G19 which is perfectly fine, but I'd take the Steyr over it any day.  Plus it is just a great looking gun.

If Steyr weren't so crappy about marketing these things they'd make a mint...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone tell me about the ILS system the Steyr's use? I usually refuse to buy a gun with an ILS, but the Steyr just looks to good to pass up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always been fascinated by this Steyr pistol that the average shooter has never even heard of.  I don't even own a striker-fired 9mm at the moment, but if I could pick 3, it would be on the list.  When I finally do get around to buying one, it will probably be a Glock 19, because of the huge aftermarket support, and everyone should own one at some point (I've never owned a Glock).  But the Steyr is on my bucket-list to own.  If John 117 from Halo were real, he would use a Steyr M9A1 as his pistol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me about the ILS system the Steyr's use? I usually refuse to buy a gun with an ILS, but the Steyr just looks to good to pass up.
View Quote
I don't know a whole lot about it. Never tried to use mine, never will. I don't see how the thing could ever be accidently activated so I don't even think about it being there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
It has to be depressed ~3/16" and rotated to activate. You use the key (steyr AUG sight tool) or can install an optional lock that uses a handcuff key.

I don't know much about how it locks out the trigger, never really cared and I don't use the lock either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I got into Steyr way back when CDNN was selling the M9 for around $300. Got a couple and an S9.  I picked up an M40A1 for $370 shipped/transferred/rebate a couple months ago. Frames on the M are interchangeable so I can shoot my 9 as an A1 if I want.

Shooting the 40 is extremely easy with the Steyr.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up a C9A1 as well. I couldn't pass it up for the price I got it for. I'd really like to find a good deal on a S9A1.

M9A1 vs C9A1. They are real close in size.

Attachment Attached File

C9A1 vs G19.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know if the S9A1 fits in a M9A1 holster?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the S9A1 fits in a M9A1 holster?
View Quote
Yes, but the barrel end of the holster will be a bit longer than you need. It will fit and lock in fine. I ordered a S9A1 Vedder holster (that's how they have it listed) for my C9A1 as they are the same size except for the grip length. It fits perfectly. I also have a Vedder M9A1 holster and my C9A1 fits fine, the holster is just a bit longer than needed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, but the barrel end of the holster will be a bit longer than you need. It will fit and lock in fine. I ordered a S9A1 Vedder holster (that's how they have it listed) for my C9A1 as they are the same size except for the grip length. It fits perfectly. I also have a Vedder M9A1 holster and my C9A1 fits fine, the holster is just a bit longer than needed.
View Quote
Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top